***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

Thank you sir for your reccomendation

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    good acquisitions
    if you emulate nephew steve you are in good company

3. strangebrew

strangebrew Well-Known Member

I want to get my first shoe/boot in shell. I would like something very casual that I can dress down with jeans. Someone suggested the captoe boot in the plaza last from Alden of Carmel but it won't be in stock for months. Any other suggestions?

P.S
    Not a big fan of the Indy boot

4. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

It sounds like you are familiar with Alden-of-Carmel and, if so, you are aware of their wingtip boots in color 8 and black cordovan and are not interested in that or it does not have your size in stock. But if you are not aware of that, they have that boot in various soles and that has the versatility you want.

Alden of NY has a George boot - like a chukka, but with a Monk strap across the throat and no eyelets or laces -- on Aberdeen last (making it sleeker than the chukkas on the Barrie last) in color 8 and black cordovan. This is a great-looking boot that can go with sport coats to jeans. This would be a great choice.

Alden of NY also has a plain toe boots in cordovan - it may only be in black cordovan, not color 8, but a check of the website will tell you.

Fransboone has plain toe boots and perhaps captoe boots in cordovan.

I think J Gilbert has some sizes in a color 8 cordovan NST boot that would be a great, great choice.

Good luck.

5. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Just wanted to thank everyone for the very grounding advice on the tassels. Clearly, one should just follow Uncle's advice: when in doubt, go with the king. I will follow suit and pull the trigger on the king tassels after returning from summer vacation. $ is currently saved for a ravello lwb preorder that is allegedly dropping this fall. Tassels should be ok to wear year round, right (i.e., not just a fun summer look)?

6. strangebrew

strangebrew Well-Known Member

Thanks. I am aware of the wingtips but I was under the impression that the plaza last worked best as the most casual boot, like jeans and tshirt casual.

I was looking at the AE daltons but i loved the look of the plaza captoes with the commando sole.

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Most would say that the plaza last is among Alden's more dressier lasts. The plaza last is a beloved last on this thread, but I wouldn't describe it as jeans and tshirt casual. The barrie last works great as a casual last. That said, if you want plaza because you like the look, go for plaza.

The grant last may also be a good option. Alden NYC stocks grant lasted captoe boots on double leather soles while Alden DC stocks them on commando soles.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

This was always my understanding. If the cap has punching or a medallion then it is NOT a straight tip. Blucher or Bal.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  9. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

LeatherSoul also has a plain toe "Pitt" boot in color #8 coming in sometime this fall. There was a pre-order for it back in January but if you contact them they may be able to tell you if your size will be available once they arrive.

And I agree with Alcibiades that the berrie last works great for casual wear.

10. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Wow, that's a long discussion about a simple case of semantics. [​IMG]

A "Straight Tip" and a "Cap Toe" are the same thing. Alden calls them Straight Tips. Others call them Cap Toes. Nowhere on Alden's website do I find the term Cap Toe. Some other retailers refer to their Alden shoes as Cap Toes (such as The Shoe Mart), but they are the same shoe that Alden calls Straight Tips.

The shoe can have a medallion. This has nothing to do with whether a shoe then has to be called a Straight Tip or a Cap Toe. It does have to do with it's brogue classification (see below).

The edge of the leather tip can have broguing. Some call these perforations instead of broguing. Again, they are the same thing. Alden calls them perforations, but broguing is the official term.

Officially, shoes are termed according to their amount of broguing:

Full Brogues (wingtips)
    Semi or Half Brogues (toe cap with a brogued edge and medallion)
    Quarter Brogues (toe cap with brogued edge but no medallion)
    Longwing Brogues (longwings)

Sorry, Alden can call their shoes whatever they want, but the history and art of shoe making is much longer, richer, and deeper than just this one company.

11. Don L

Don L Senior member

No Tips today [​IMG]

Snuff LHS

[​IMG]

12. 89826

89826 Senior member

My cigar lhs's have a stain about the size of a nickel right on the top. I just noticed it, and I haven't worn those shoes in a while. I tried brushing, Venetian shoe cream, and using a damp cloth to wet the stain. Nothing. I am sure the stain has set. Could be food-based, including oil, or maybe even urine. What to do? Could Reno help?

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

"Official term"? Is there an international shoe governing body that defines these terms?

14. wildstar

wildstar Senior member

Chimaki, I think I bought the last 4060 8.5D from TSM a few days ago. It's an awesome boot but I think the Grant last isn't going to work out for me. I was thinking about selling it, I'll send you a PM.

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Google "Shoe Terminology" and have a ball. If you want a quicker reference, simply go to Wikipedia. International shoe governing body? No. Books and authoritative resources that go back hundreds of years? Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.