1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don L

Don L Distinguished Member

Great collection so far!

2. MrDV

MrDV Distinguished Member

3. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Distinguished Member

Ah yes, gunboats and furple argyles. My man. Stellar combo.

4. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Distinguished Member

Outstanding #8 plaza indy's. Great shine!

5. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Isn't this make up essentially the LS Ultimate Indy? Am I missing something?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

6. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

I'm pretty sure the shell indy on plaza is my favorite Alden boot, and you, my friend, have the winning shell trifecta! [​IMG]

7. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

That is a bad ass boot.

8. blenden

blenden Member

Alden rookie here!

Does anyone where I can buy a pair of boots similar to the one pictured, online? Crepe or rubber sole, plain or cap toe.

Thank you :)

[​IMG]

9. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior Member

I would say the for me the TTS Aberdeen in a D width has been a good fit relative to 1/2 size down in the Barrie (Sometimes I find the D acceptable and other times I prefer the E depending on style). I have determined that I am in between D and E, and my heel is relatively narrow so the Barrie can be frustrating. That being said Truebalance (1/2 size down) in a D for me is a bit too wide, nothing unmanageable but it feels large. Side note, I like the modified, the fit is nice and as others have said, I wish it was more readily available in shell. Hope that helps.

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

11. BootSpell

BootSpell Distinguished Member

Thanks for the input. The challenge is finding a cobbler that I can trust. I could try B.Nelson. Or do as Uncle recommends and just wear the heck out of them!

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Distinguished Member

You may already know this, but I think this is what you are noticing:

http://horween.com/products/brownout/

"As some people have heard or read, the “lighter” and “darker” colors of cordovan are that way for a reason. The leather, being a unique medium, has highs and lows in terms of natural color. The darker shells are many times that way because this makes for the most uniform finished product. As our shells are stained with fully aniline stains (meaning no pigment to provide coverage of any kind), fading your darker colored shells may cause these color “differences” to become detectable, if they even exist at all."

I think that if you get them refinished by Alden or B. Nelson, the inconsistency will be hidden again. Or as was suggested, use saphir cordovan cream (which contains a lot of pigment) to cover it up, but it will likely darken the color of the boot back to close to its original color. IME, Saphir cordovan cream can't be used to spot treat, as there will be a visible difference between the treated and un-treated area. You have to use it on the entire/shoe boot.

Good luck.

13. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Thanks. This is good info. I'm going to see if I can get some info from the seller and then see what I can get BB or Alden to do about it. I won't be wearing them until the problem's resolved.

I do imagine that they could repair them at this stage before any real creasing has occurred, just by reinforcing the toe so that it doesn't bend. But I'm not a cobbler; that's just what makes sense to me.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

14. blenden

blenden Member

15. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Ahhh I see. I haven't come across many (if any) retailers that ship Alden out of the country. Good luck with your search!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.