1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Senior member

I personally think the amount of roll is partly the result of fit and partly the way an individual walks. None of my shell has bad roll or real curved up front ends the way I see in some pictures. I think that is because of my gait, I tend to come down on the back of my heel first. I also prefer my shoes a bit on the longer side.
    Two years ago I talked one of my business partners into getting a pair of Shell PTB's on a trip to NY. He said he wore a size 12 D so the gave him the 1/2 size down spiel and he just accepted it and came home with an 11.5D. As soon as I saw them I thought they looked small on him and after only one wearing he had them wrinkled as hell. He also is heavy set and walks on the side of his feet. He blew through the double leather soles on the sides in under 9 months. He had them resoled locally and again blew through the soles in under a year. He has since determined that he needs a shoe with a rubber sole. I haven't seen the PTB's on him in a long time, and I think he gave up on them.

1 person likes this.
  2. Techdaddy

Techdaddy Well-Known Member

Enjoying my black calfskins today…

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. n-domino

n-domino Senior member

Did you get any pairs? If so, which ones?

4. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

It's been a full and hectic day at the office here. I don't have much to contribute informationally or pictorially for today. However, I just wanted to take the time to express my appreciation for the members of this thread and how you conduct yourselves in the most gentlemanly way. I've recently made a foray into other brands and interests and, accordingly, have begun perusing other sf threads. While I've also appreciated the information and pictures I've encountered in those other threads, it's been my experience that there is much more flaming and trolling if not overt snippiness, passive aggression and hostility there. We here in the Alden department seem to be able to share our enthusiasm and even our conceptual disagreements without getting catty or losing civility (even when it comes to the calf vs. shell debate). Thank you for the camaraderie and for supporting my ongoing habit. Good day, good sirs!

1 person likes this.
  5. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

No, I didn't buy anything. :(

6. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Beautiful shade of eggplant my friend. Hang in there Be; it's almost golf season!!

7. ReppTiePrepster

My friend, it's just louder than ten, it is! [​IMG]

8. ATLVol

ATLVol Senior member

ravello nsts for me today.....doing my best Mr. DV.....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. ReppTiePrepster

+1, you're a good man Doc...

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

He's a big talker; he doesn't actually buy anything [​IMG]

11. ReppTiePrepster

^^^ Oh he buys quite a bit! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  12. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Somehow both of these statements are true.

13. gastarbeider

gastarbeider Senior member

after sitting on the fence for almost two years about buying a pair of shell LW, i finally picked up a pair. [​IMG] they arrived today, and on closer inspection (i tried them on at the shop, then had them sent to save on taxes) i noticed a small roll/bulb/on the toe, where the upper meets the welt. it's really nothing, and i realize that these are handmade shoes, but they're not exactly cheap. am i being OCD and overreacting? [​IMG] [​IMG] i also noticed some minor asymmetry with the broguing. [​IMG]

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Those look fine to me. They will look far worse after being worn outside for 30 minutes

15. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

+1. If you look at any pair of new Alden shoes long enough, you'll find slight imperfections.

16. gastarbeider

gastarbeider Senior member

alright. figured as much. thanks for talking me off the ledge.

17. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

I agree. That is the reason I hated SF for so long and might have come across a bit blunt myself initially - because I was expecting the snippiness that is prevalent in the majority of SF. If I did, I apologize since everyone here has been helpful and not holier than thou at all.

18. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

What size? If they're 8.5, I'll trade you a pair of 10.5's for them. [​IMG]

19. Mutombo

Mutombo Senior member

If they're 12D I'm interested.

20. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.