• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profligate47

Reaction score

Well...these saddles deserve a quick post. Really liking them...black grain and Color 8. Billed as Leydon, but feel Barrie to me. Can anyone tell by looking. :D

Great combo. Who makes the argyles? Looks like Barrie to me...

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fellas, I just made the plunge! I was lucky enough to grab a pair of PTBs in #8 @ The Shoe Mart. They're 2nds so they were a great value. They were kind enough to send them to me as well. I took a pic because I needed something to at least take home with me :)

Great choice and congrats on getting them at a good price. Enjoy!

Shiny

Reaction score

The extra stitch is functional in a Norwegian-welt shoe (see below). Goodyear-welted shoes use this as a decorative stitch as Organika said. The waterloc sole is referring to the oil that the leather is saturated with to make it more waterproof. Oil and water don't mix... there's nothing more to it than that.
Thanks for this x2! Learned about this and the "king" shell designation today. :nodding:

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How do you not just stare at your feet all day. These are just too sweet uncle. Wear in good health.

nephew,
thanks
between business, family and charitable activities provides no time to stare at shoes

Last edited:

epc2

Reaction score

My vote goes to the Snuff LWB. It is easily among the most comfortable shoes I have. Also, the LWB is on a double waterlock sole.
Very nice yours look like the Jcrew version with the eyelets , I like that and Leffot version but they don't have E widths, the Madison has a single flex sole and DC has one but with crepe.

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Very nice yours look like the Jcrew version with the eyelets , I like that and Epaulet version but they don't have E widths, the Madison has a single flex sole and DC has one but with crepe.

consider going to a D width and going up a half size

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Yo yo yo yo yo.

So.

I finally managed to get a pair of BBBF shell longwings which I've wanted for basically ever and they're awesome shoes and feel great. Fit is excellent, need a break-in but already quite comfy. However, after wearing them for one day (bought new in box), I have discovered a problem, depicted in yonder video:

See how the right shoe creases perfectly, but the left seems to have one crease at the vamp, and then the next few inches of leather are stiff enough such that they do not crease and instead a crease forms in the middle of the toe cap over the broguing? Apparently the leather over the lower part of the vamp before the toe cap is unwilling to bend, and the path of least resistance is simply to push that patch of leather forward over top of the toe cap, creating a lump.

Any input or ideas on this? I already emailed aldenshoe.com but I have no idea what their email response habits are or if I even directed the inquiry to the right people.

aldenwear

Reaction score
consider going to a D width and going up a half size
I second this emotion. I too take an "e" width. In barrie-lasted shoes, going up 1/2 size and using a "d" width is not perfect, but it is pretty close and, in some instances, has been very, very close.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cigar LHS, Marcoliani merino argyle mc, Bill's khakis
i had a chance to get these once... shoulda, coulda....
nice loafers sir.
A new member of the family arrived yesterday. Nothing fancy, nothing exotic. About as basic as they come, but a model I had overlooked in search of her exotic cousins.

Alden's LHS, in color King
nice looking loafers sazon.
cigar cap toe boot
argyles otc
your cigar boots are seriously messing with my mind. i can't wait for these to come back someday, they will come back and ill be waiting.
Well...these saddles deserve a quick post. Really liking them...black grain and Color 8. Billed as Leydon, but feel Barrie to me. Can anyone tell by looking.
biggrin.gif

awesome!!
i have a thing for alden saddles, where are these from?
My vote goes to the Snuff LWB. It is easily among the most comfortable shoes I have. Also, the LWB is on a double waterlock sole.

sweet suede rtp. looking good

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice saddles. Wear in good health, grandson.

Grandpa Ari

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You done good man! I love the pinking on the cap. I'd cop a pair of those at full retail if them made them again.

Awesome
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
thank you, i like the details as well. still trying to figure out how much to restore them.
Pretty sweet boots MrDV.
thank you be.
Pretty sweet???? How about downright sick.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Love'em.
thank you sir.
[/SPOILER]

nephew,
good shine
good day for boots
thanks uncle, good day for boots indeed.
The FedEx man wa busy today. My new arrival.....

This is it for me. "I'm done for awhile."
nice shoes. i have said that phrase to myself before. im sorry to tell you, you have the fever and the only cure for it is the shell. the very exotic and expensive shell.
Hands down, these are the very best boots I've seen on this thread in a very long time. You rock MrDV!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
thanks for the kind words rtp.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post from the shoe care thread...

I need some assistance. These are my #8 Alden x J.Crew PCT boots. Got them new and they're now about 8 months old and truthfully, haven't been cared for very much other than a couple of Reno treatments every few months. They've lightened up considerably since I got them and I have now just noticed this dark spot on the vamp of the left boot. I am 99% sure I haven't spilled oil or anything on them. I think the spot gradually appeared as the boots lightened. It's almost like it was a dye stain that was covered with the finishing that Alden performed.

IRL the spot/stain is not that noticeable as in these pics. Can anyone suggest what I can do to get rid of it? I'm not much of a wax fan and rarely use anything other than Reno or VC on any of my footwear. But I will on these if it will help.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MrDV, someday I want to grow up and have all the Alden shoes and boots in the world, just like you. Keep on inspiring us all with your fantastic collection. Thanks, bespiffington esq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads