1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

2. mdubs

Can anyone else say Whiskey Wednesday?

Whiskey LWB + Alden Whiskey Belt (no crotch shots for ya'll)!

Sorry, not as creative on the location as say Tampa Travel...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    4 people like this.
  3. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

That's it! I'm getting me some LHS.

I'm on a few lists for Whiskey but the itch is too strong. I'm going to pick up the 986. I'm a regular 11.5/12d and read that the Van last is a bit big, do most people size down 1/2 size? If i'm a 12d in aberdeen/grant would a 12b/c work?

4. mdubs

LoL, what tossed you over the fence?

I hate giving Van last advice, as it is a 3 dimensional problem, and the Van last is a lower vamp last and can be difficult for many to size. I personally go with my Barrie size on them (1/2 down).

-Mike

5. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

What set me over the edge? I have missed out on Whiskey LHS a couple of times over the years. Every time I see a Ravello or Whiskey LHS photo I drool like an imbecile. Seeing as those don't get made very often, I'm going to grab something that I can get my hands on reasonably well. I'll try the 11.5 in Van and hope it works. My feet are weird and I wear 12d barrie in certain makeups and they are great but I have a couple of pairs in typical TTS lasts (aberdeen, grant) and the 12d also fit me really well.

I'm scared going down to the 11's I guess!

6. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

I haven't been able to try on any LHS's in shell but like the comment above, think I may pull the trigger. A few questions that I would be grateful on getting replies: I'm a 9D Plaze, 9D Grant and about a 8.75 on Barrie. Can anyone give sizing rev's? Also, what retailers typically carry them? Would love to get a pair in Ravello but can see getting use out of cigar or #8 also. Is the Brooks Bros model also on the Van last? Thanks in advance

7. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I completely understand.

Also, for me, I seem to take the same size in van and barrie (11 C). Note that I don't own the LHS and have only tried it on. But that's just because I'm waiting for it in whiskey like you (ravello would also be great).

8. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Senior member

[​IMG]
    Got back from lunch today to find these waiting for me.

6 people like this.
  9. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Thank You Fellas! @mdubs those are ridiculous kicks! Wow. :slayer: I'll try to get a Tampa man hole cover next time....

10. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Sounds like you are in between an 8.5 and 9. The 986 (colour 8) are a standard Alden offering and can be found everywhere (shoemart).

I saw a picture of the LHS in colour 8 with an antique edge a while back, I would be all over those if I could find them.

I haven't seen a Ravello release of the LHS in a long time (to be honest I am not on a list for them, so they might have been confirmed at some point). Whiskey was available last year briefly from some retailers.

11. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

I finally got the JCrew code to work for me but don't see anything in an 8.5 that it works on. What I really want is the shell LWB but they don't have that in anything smaller than a 10.

12. irishcafe

irishcafe Active Member

Almost glad that I don't have a card, otherwise my wallet will hate me. cannot believe size 10 is still available after so many hours.

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Are these the 2146? Looking awfully good my friend!

14. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

10 sold out when I went to check out. I went ahead and bought the shell LWB in 10.5. I figure if they restock in the next 60 days I'll swap out for my normal size. If they don't, then I can just return them.

15. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

from previous experience, you should be able to extend that discounted price beyond the 60days if they dont restock by then. I got the wrong size in my first ever pair of aldens ordered (403s), and needed 3 months IIRC for them to restock in my correct size. they honored the discounted price that I received..

16. Dr. D

Dr. D Senior member

Both the standard lined LHS (like the 986) and the Brooks unlined version are made on the van last. The key to LHS sizing is the vamp - it is quite low. Some folks with a higher instep cannot find a good fit at all so be aware that is a very real possibility. Go to Brooks and try their unlined LHS and experiment with widths as well. Sizing loafers in general is difficult because you want it to be tight enough that the heel won't slip but the sole needs to have been broken in a bit before that can happen. With a new unbending sole it can dig into your heel and make it seem like you have the wrong size. In my experience, you want a very snug fit that is not constricting, as the LHS will loosen up a bit as the sole breaks in. If you go too large then they will flop as you walk once they have been broken in. I wear a 8.5 in both van and barrie with the barrie feeling just a bit more spacious in the toe.

I have 4 pair of LHS and the color 8 are by far the most useful - great with khakis and wool trousers in all shades of gray. I think cigar is OK, but either ravello or whiskey would be my choice for a second pair. I would also strongly consider snuff suede, which are by far my most complemented shoes. I got my ravellos from Sherman Brothers but I know Shoemart carries all 3 exotic LHS colors as well.

17. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Thanks Dr. D, that's helpful. Will hit Brooks Brothers on Saturday or Sunday to try a couple of different sizes on.

18. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Agreed that the snuff LHS is a nice option.

Note that many here find the BB unlined LHS to fit one size smaller in width than the lined version (986, etc.).

19. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I'm basing this on my sample space of one, but the unlined LHS they sell at BB fits slightly tighter than the same size lined ones.

Also the BB corporate discount event (30%) is happening 3/20. Cordovan has been included in the past.

20. Shanil

Shanil Active Member

Bumping for some insight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.