***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. green garden

green garden Senior member

2. green garden

green garden Senior member

Most of J Gilbert's make-ups are in the Plaza. You may want to try and look at those.

3. mcass

mcass Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you - great call on NRO. To answer one of the above questions, I didn't have any issues with fit. I just grew to dislike the lack of sleekness of Barrie - especially compared to my 1493 Leydon chukkas.

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    whiskey lhs
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

5. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Looking good as always Mac.

6. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Very nice Uncle!

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

9. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Without wading through tons of Aden posts .. Is the 405 Indy Shell #8 hand stitched.? Does this stitching pattern make for more circulation say apposed to a plain toe?

10. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Actually, Alden DC, Madison, San Fran, TSM, etc... all have a wide selection of non-barrie lasted shoes. While you are correct that MTOs are almost impossible to come by, there are many sleek-looking available Alden lasts out there (it may require some looking). Additionally, the leydon last wouldn't be my first choice for the dressier, sleeker look. BB's M-58 and M-75 lasts are excellent. The aberdeen and plaza lasts are great. I spent last weekend in NYC and found plenty of sleeker Aldens on lasts outside of barrie at Alden on Madison, Leffot, Citishoes, J Press, and BB to name a few. If you're looking for a sleek dressy look, Alden has options. But if Carmina or Vass have what you want with greater availability, have at it. But you will not get the classic American-made shoe/look with Carmina. And that my friend, is perfectly fine if that's your choice. It just isn't mine. TBH, I don't mind the wait times because I can not afford to acquire everything I want all at once. The demand and lack of supply actually paces me well and gives me time to decide that I do not need another very similar variation of color 8. Patience is a virtue! [​IMG]

While I am on the subject, I might as well complete the rant... [​IMG] I find it disturbing that someone would ship American-made classics to some Spaniards to steal/replicate lasts/shoes/boots that have become uniquely American. I am not normally a nativistic jingo, but I'll support the American-made classic because I actually prefer it to the more expensive European producers.

I know this may rub some of you the wrong way, but disagreement and preference is healthy and perfectly acceptable on a thread that is as civil and friendly as this one.

My friends, all the best...

11. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Well, I would like to have the long wing shell cordovan on something other than barrie without MTO for starter...

12. ReppTiePrepster

BBBF has had a black shell LWB on the grant last in recent years. Not the easiest to find though.

13. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

yea, there is one on ebay in 10D, nothing wrong with black shell, but certainly not my priority

14. ReppTiePrepster

I'm not sure that the LWB works well on a sleek last. You'd get something like the AE Larchmont, which makes no sense to me... But that's me and my opinion though; I like the barrie last.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

15. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Exactly, it would look like a little kid shoe or something like that if it was on the leydon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.