***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

If you want your boots darker try a mid-dark brown shoe cream. Shoe cream has leather dye in it and it will darken the leather. (I may have used some on mine?)

If you are scared of that just try a dark brown paste wax and see how that comes out. It is easier to make the leather darker than lighter.

+1

2. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I never bought anything from your store (yet), but I stopped by the Beverly Hills location a couple of days ago just to take a look see. What was suppose to be a quick visit turned into an Alden discussion with Bryan, haha. I will surely buy a pair of Alden from him, err or you I guess, in the near future.

Bryan's the MAN [​IMG] ; i.e., you'll get some of the best customer service around when you talk with him.

3. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

The neatsfoot oil that horween and most of the retailers recommend for chromexcel care would darken the leather a bit as well. You could start there and then move on to creams if you want to darken them further. As mentioned, you can't really go back to lighter tones once you darken them.

4. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

in response to an earlier post, here are pictures of the Alden wingtips where I stripped the super dark brown edge dressing with rubbing alcohol and then applied some kiwi wax (forgot if it was brown or neutral) to the soles.

the other pair is how the sole edges look untreated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any questions please ask!

5. iotan

iotan Senior member

in response to an earlier post, here are pictures of the Alden wingtips where I stripped the super dark brown edge dressing with rubbing alcohol and then applied some kiwi wax (forgot if it was brown or neutral) to the soles.

That looks pretty good. I am impressed and may have to try that myself. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

make sure you have a steady hand, alcohol will stain the leather upper permanently if I am not mistaken.

7. rick

rick Senior member

If anyone has used Alden shoes or boots in 10 or 10.5 for under $300 you want to get rid of, contact me.

pm sent

8. blynch

blynch Senior member

anyone know a place selling shoes on the copley last 10.5D or 10E? Copley fits me drastically better than the barry or leydon, and it seems they don't make much on it lately. Sherman brothers has a couple listed, but I tried to order one and they didn't really have them (style was discontinued as well).

9. Ry'on

Ry'on Senior member

Just got these from another forum member on ebay - couldn't be happier. Fit great, leather is amazing and it's going to be tough to get me off of this sole from here on out. [​IMG]

10. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I like those very much. The leather, sole, and style just work so well together.

11. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

Just got these from another forum member on ebay - couldn't be happier. Fit great, leather is amazing and it's going to be tough to get me off of this sole from here on out.

[​IMG]

Just don't wear 'em with white socks!

12. sockpuppets

sockpuppets Senior member

13. joz411no

joz411no Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also came across a post, somewhere on the internet, where a guy sanded his down to the natural leather using sandpaper. There's got to be some shoemaker's/cobbler's compound to apply to it to protect it. Unfortunately the top of the welt wit the stitching remains black. In any case I too prefer the natural look of the leather soul on lighter color shoes as well.

14. Ry'on

Ry'on Senior member

^^haha, thanks for the advice - I actually plan on it, some nice subtle texture on an off-white and they look great. Just not going to post it on here!

15. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

in response to an earlier post, here are pictures of the Alden wingtips where I stripped the super dark brown edge dressing with rubbing alcohol and then applied some kiwi wax

looks good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.