• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.michael

Reaction score

Cigar Indy by Alden for J.Gilbert
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado

Definitely not the most comfortable hiking footwear I've worn, but by far the best looking.

Olifter

Reaction score

Found a pair of cigar shell LWB on eBay in my size, they've been relisted a few times so I think the price ($400) is too high. What should I offer? The uppers looks to be in a good shape, but I'm not sure about the sole. Are these so worn down that they need to be replaced?
Since they're double soled they are most likely OK, though they do look like they are fairly well worn. If I were to buy them, I'd want to get them recrafted anyway, which means at $400, you'd have well over $500 in them. I'd just as soon try to find a new pair and the only way I'd go for those would be if I could get them for under $300, or I simply had to have the cigar LWB and there were no other options. I have that shoe and I am glad I do. Sounds like it may be hard to come by, if it isn't already.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

The MacNeil is brown though right? Do you own both MacNeil and Alden's LWB on Barrie, do you have any strong preference for one or another?
Are you really asking that question on this thread?
rotflmao.gif

Seriously though, the McNeil is a fine shoe but there is absolutely no comparison as far as fit, comfort, finishing, and overall quality. The difference in calf or color 8 shell is about $175 and well worth it IMHO.
nod[1].gif

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Columbus Circle Mall this morning and saw the Alden for J Crew, tobacco waxed LWB and they look fabulous... much better than my 3 year old pair that has an orange-ish hue. This newer pair looks a little darker; more brownish than orange. It looks more like a calf version of ravello. Wish mine looked like them. Anyone here looking for a cheaper alternative to the ravello LW grail should check them out.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

"king" cap toe...love it.

I continue to be amazed how you get that shine on your shoes/boots with no wax/polish, uncle.  You must have Popeye arms!

nephew,
thank you

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are you really asking that question on this thread? :rotflmao:
Seriously though, the McNeil is a fine shoe but there is absolutely no comparison as far as fit, comfort, finishing, and overall quality. The difference in calf or color 8 shell is about $175 and well worth it IMHO.
nod%5B1%5D.gif

well I mean AE MacNeil Burguendy Shell vs. Alden LWB #8 Shell in barrie

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's actually Equus' burgundy but it's not a traditional burgundy with a lot of red. As you mentioned, it's closer to dark brown with a subtle burgundy tone and it is close enough for me.
Shown with a variety of shoes that I wear it with. L-R: AE Tresana in cabernet brown Alden color 8 shell AE burgundy shell Alden cigar shell Equus is a joy to work with and I couldn't recommend their products enough. I now have three Equus belts.
nephew, good shine on your shoes

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

An Alden Long Wing Blucher, in the color Whiskey.

Not the King of colors, but perhaps a Prince?

nephew,
good looking combo

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
UNcle,

Are those king captoe boots on the Grant last? are they leather or commando sole?

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Columbus Circle Mall this morning and saw the Alden for J Crew, tobacco waxed LWB and they look fabulous... much better than my 3 year old pair that has an orange-ish hue. This newer pair looks a little darker; more brownish than orange. It looks more like a calf version of ravello. Wish mine looked like them. Anyone here looking for a cheaper alternative to the ravello LW grail should check them out.
I need those rolls and not those creases though........
worship.gif

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like the bold colors.
great looking boots uncle.
nice, hardly ever see these posted.
great combo sazon.

nephew,
thank you

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

UNcle,

Are those king captoe boots on the Grant last? are they leather or commando sole?

nephew,
double leather sole on the plaza last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads