1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiny

Shiny Senior Member

Gents,
    I’m going to be in NYC this weekend. And, I have a hankering for some shell on discount (!). I understand that Leffot has a sale and, if the website sale stuff is the same as the in-store , it’s a little underwhelming. Any, other Alden retailers have some discount stuff going on? Prefer Alden, but can also branch out to other makers.

I told my wife (and myself) that I would only pick up shoes if they were on sale :embar: . Thanks in advance.

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

I don't think you can get just the dovetail replaced, as least not here in NYC. Prices range from $20 - $40 to replace heel lifts (rubber to JR) in NYC from my experience.

patrick_b uses an Equus dark brown belt with his #8. Not a match, but close enough for him. Personally I bought a Polo Ralph Lauren in a burgundy calf to go with mine. Think it was less than $30 on sale.

3. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior Member

Thank you. Good taste.

4. Winston S.

In general, I think it's going to be tough to find Alden discounted..

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

5. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

Do you have corporate card for BB? Otherwise Paul Stuart has some Carmina Shell on sale 2~3 weeks ago, good price in quite a lot size, though on the dressy side (only one model in two colors, austerity brogue balmoral). In general shell cordovan don't go on sale..., maybe you can call up the Mansion on Madison for Ralph Lauren to see if Marlow is on sale, but again I would be doubtful on that.

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

Alden controls what their retail partners are able to do regarding sales. Quite frankly there isn't a need to discount Alden's sans a few obscure models. The product is in low supply and high demand. I'm afraid you may have to bite the bullet on this one. RL usually has a couple of sales per year where marlows can he had in the mid $500 range.

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

Alden Madison occasionally has various models (like the calfskin cape cod) on sale, but it is unlikely you'll find a blanket sale on Alden shoes.

8. Todd V

Todd V Senior Member

I purchased my dress belts from Epaulet. They have a good variety of colors and I am very happy with the quality.

9. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior Member

Are you going to have a car in NYC?

The Shoe Mart is about an hour drive from the city. 3 Berkeley St, Norwalk, CT 06850

I haven't been there yet but I'm told there are deals be found in person...unless you are a 12D then please don't go.

10. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

well if he is going to do that, might as well just get onto the "Seconds" list for shoemart

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Distinguished Member

(not to seem argumentative) I think what they do is replace the rubber dove tail and the bottom layer of leather that it matches up to. Since it is sucha simple repair, I'm not too particular about which cobbler does it, or what brand materials that they use. I'm not an expert on shoe repair, I just know what they look like when I bring them in, what looks like has been done to them when I get them back, and about what it cost me. To be honest, I don't get it done very often because it takes a while to wear them down to the point of replacement. If you prefer to use plastic heel protectors and have your heels replaced completely and with more expensive materials, then I can certainly respect that. To me, the whole idea behind rubber dove tail heels is that they are cheaply and easily replaced, so you can wear them out, replace them, and not have to worry about it.

12. Winston S.

That's right, that is the process I am referring to and in NYC it can go from $20 - $40 depending on what material you ask for. I think a rubber/leather combo, not JR, is $30, so not exactly cheap, when I can get rubber taps put on 10 times for that cost.

13. Winston S.

I was actually pretty close to the Shoe Mart (20 minute drive) last weekend at a family gathering, but couldn't pull myself away. I think there is something to be said about seeing seconds in person.

14. sazon

sazon Distinguished Member

Yes! Love that makeup in a boot!

15. sazon

sazon Distinguished Member

Shawn: Welcome.

But don't fool yourself...you are just getting started.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.