***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

This is largely a matter if taste. The nft is a great and unusual shoe and shows the art of shoemaking with the handstitching. J gilbert's version on the plaza last, I think, makes a great shoe even better. I also think it makes the shoe look a little more dressy than the standard Alden version on the Aberdeen last. You are aware that the standard version is double leather sole? If that is important to you, consider getting that rather than spending the additional money changing a new shoe. The standard model is also about $80 cheaper than the jg make-up. Good luck. If you go with the Lebanon, consider the leffotversion with antique edging. That edging makes the shoe less dressy and so perhaps better fir your use.

2. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

3. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Thank you! I am quite pleased with them. And yes, they are extremely comfortable!

4. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I'm almost certain the J Gilbert NST boots have a commando sole. I think either of these styles would work well with jeans and chinos, with the boots more casual than the LWBs (you suggested the other way around). I happen to really like #8 NST boots on the Barrie or Plaza, so I'd give the edge to the boots, though remember the 975 is a classic for a reason. You can't go wrong with either.

5. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

If it really bothers you I would suggest trying Saphir Reno. I'm not a big polish guy if I can avoid it, and I try to use as little additional substances as possible but reno has worked wonders for me on both calf and shell, Im somewhat amazed by it, and it leaves leather (particularly calfskin in my experience) with a very nice look and feel. I set a shell wallet down the other day on my kitchen counter, it picked up a similar circular water mark, although I think it was from a frozen blueberry. I put a tiny drop of reno on, and it looks better than new. Good luck

6. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

I have the #8 NST boots with commando and really like them.

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

While the NST on plaza last is unique and very cool, the 975 is versatile, stunning (imho), and an Alden/American classic. I suppose that since the 975 is much more readily available, I would get the plaza NST with the intention of acquiring the 975 at a not-so-later date. However, if I could only have one, and I do not own another Alden shell LWB, the 975 would be my unequivocal choice! (but that may just be me and my longwing bias) Good luck my friend...

8. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

It isn't an issue of dishonesty or malice; it is an issue of protecting the Forum from legal consequences. If one 's uninformed actions endanger this medium of exchange, I'm sorry, but a fine or loss of membership is a reasonable outcome (esp. if SF had to pay a penalty). Maybe he can come back at another time (I hope so). The law stinks sometimes, but there is a reason we have it and lawyers (God bless them... no sarcasm intended).

9. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

I don't think the questioner is talking about the Gilbert Mc boots. He is talking about the Nf bluchers with a single leather sole.

10. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

L
    Obviously, personal preference and need take precedence. I have two 975s, #8 and cigar. If I could have only one Alden shoe, a #8 LWB would be it. I'll eventually get a whiskey or ravello LWB, but for now, I'm very happy with the two I have.

I think your solution lies in getting both...........good luck.

11. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

+1

First Alden I bought and the last one I would want to get rid of.

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

they used to have sales in January and July on alden's but has not happen for many years

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I assume you will have to wait for the plaza NST shoe. Yes? Assuming that, and the fact that it comes with a sole you will replace (another $150-ish), I think you should consider the stock 2210 NST on the Aberdeen with double leather sole. It very well may be readily available. The 975 should also be readily available.

There are no wrong choices here.

The 975 is slightly more versatile IMO than either NST model.

14. sammy

sammy Senior member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just to clarify, I'm referring to the NST shoe, and not the boot. Here is a link to the shoe:
    http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Shoes-Shell_Cordovan_Norwegian_Front_238.htm
    They are currently available for pre-orer for and October delivery. The Aberdeen last does not suit my foot- the toebox is a bit narrow for me. Personally, I think the NST style looks better on the Plaza than the Aberdeen last.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The plaza NST is a nice model. There is a very good chance you will not actually get those in October if history tells us anything. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.