• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cigar LHS
null_zps0a44537a.jpg

null_zpsc76c8767.jpg
nephew,
good looking cigar

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wt boot
argyles otc

Last edited:

REguy

Reaction score
Do any of you guys have multiple pairs of the identical shoe? Whenever I see a crazy good deal for a new pair on eBay, I snatch it up. I now have 4 pairs of the J. Crew antique tan LWBs. I justified having 2 by keeping them at different locations as I travel for work. With 4, this will be my go-to shoe until I die. I'm beginning to think I have some kind of compulsive, hoarder psychosis. That, or I'm just a sucker for a good sale.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have multiple pairs of the identical shoe? Whenever I see a crazy good deal for a new pair on eBay, I snatch it up. I now have 4 pairs of the J. Crew antique tan LWBs. I justified having 2 by keeping them at different locations as I travel for work. With 4, this will be my go-to shoe until I die. I'm beginning to think I have some kind of compulsive, hoarder psychosis. That, or I'm just a sucker for a good sale.
The Sartorialist blogger does:

http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/my-aldens/

020113-ScottsAldens_web.jpg

REguy

Reaction score
^ I forgot about Mafoo and his "1-shoe" wardrobe. Although, I think sanity will kick in before I reach 7 pairs like him.

aldenwear

Reaction score

And I thought I was bad because I have a number of Aldens in different colors: LHS, NST, PTB, longwings, captoes and chukkas in various cordovan colors and Indy boots in various leathers. But multiple copies of the same shoe?

My doctor wears nothing but black PTBs. They look to be calf PTBs and are probably Allen Edmonds. He is getting a bit wild, however: he recently showed up in PTBs made of pebble grain black calf.

Many moons ago I knew an academic in NYC who was a German descent and he had seven white shirts, seven black pants, seven black jackets, black socks, wifebeater t's and seven pair of black PTBs. All were of the finest quality I was assured. The shoes may well have been Aldens. The shoes all had trees, looked pristine and always shined. He said he never wanted to spend a moment thinking about what to wear.

Last edited:

jt2gt

Reaction score
Any place I am missing for NOT Color 8 or black Wingtip Boots? About to pull the trigger and trying to decide between Shoemart (pebble grain), J.Gilbert (cognac brown) or Epaulet (nat. cxl)? I need size 8 Barrie (nothing out there used/secondary?). Any others out there available shell or not. Any thoughts on those three choices? Thanks...JT

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

^ I forgot about Mafoo and his "1-shoe" wardrobe. Although, I think sanity will kick in before I reach 7 pairs like him.

I'd be worried about only being 3 pairs away from 'foo.
:foo:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What makes CXL a casual leather? I've seen some pics where it shines nicely, and has a nice patina, so why is it not considered as dressy as shell and just below calf

Last edited:

TactileOne

Reaction score
Any place I am missing for NOT Color 8 or black Wingtip Boots? About to pull the trigger and trying to decide between Shoemart (pebble grain), J.Gilbert (cognac brown) or Epaulet (nat. cxl)? I need size 8 Barrie (nothing out there used/secondary?). Any others out there available shell or not. Any thoughts on those three choices? Thanks...JT
Try Unionmade.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had 2 pairs of #8 LHS at one point, (They accidentally charged me twice and sent 2). Returned the second pair since I could not justify keeping it, even at 30% off. In hindsight, I wish I had kept it and changed the edge trim to antique.

REguy

Reaction score

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you mentioned barrie, but I'll throw it out there.. is Modified not an option? Moulded has/had a couple options last time I perused their site

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makes CXL a casual leather? I've seen some pics where it shines nicely, and has a nice patina, so why is it not considered as dressy as shell and just below calf
for me, how it creases. I find it stretches fairly aggressively from foot to foot, so the creasing can be exaggerated.

my admittedly not well taken care of indys.. Im sure a pair of dover type cxls can be dressed up, but the creasing would eventually "force" them casual for me..

just my .02

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads