• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NRO shows a plaza-lasted loafer in addition to NST's. It's a dynamite leather; I'm hoping there's more.

FWIW:

The official Alden catalog designates the following models as mocha kid suede

And the following as dark brown suede

9697f
6245f
1273s
H155

And the following as brown suede
H4685

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum shawnc,
Your used pair with the horween shell cordovan oval logo is an unlined pair. Your alden of Carmel shoes will not have this logo visible because the leather lining covers the back of the shell. Genuine shell shoes will have a marking only on the leather soles, that mark will also disappear after a few wears.
Bespoke pa is correct, your split toes are v tips, and they look awesome.
5 pairs in 3 months, you have the fever sir.

First, thanks to all who have responded to my original post with welcomes and helpful advice. It is truly appreciated. As for this question, I think I solved the riddle. As stated, the shoes in question are unlined. They are LHS made for BB and the "Shell" marking is visibly stamped in the inside heel. I have since seen this on other made for BB LHS. The Horween stamp on the inside leather appears to be a luck of the draw.

Now for a few more questions (but first, time to fess up to my ignorance). Prior to coming to this site, I assumed cordovan referred only to color. I had no idea that it also referred to the type of leather. So when I received my LHS, my first instinct was to shine the heck out of them, but I could never really get the perfect look. I have since tried almost everything to remove the buildup and use proper techniques for caring for shell. They look better, but I want them to "pop" and I can't seem to get there. A couple of pic's in bad lighting:

These are my favorites. When I saw the color of the welt(?) against the color 8, I was in love. So, to my questions. Any suggestions on what I can do to get these to really pop. I have tried everything and I even have a dearbone on the way. I have seen reference to the 'Mac' method and searched the forum for what that involves with no luck. I have also seen some of his shines and have been blown away every time. If someone can point me to this method i would really appreciate it. My second question relates to my shell color 8's I just received from Alden of Carmel. Is there something I should do to shell's before wearing them. The web is all over the place on this. Carmel's website has a suggestion but it involves a shine that includes 5 separate applications of paste wax. I don't mind the effort but this seems counter to the position of minimal wax shines on shell.

Again, thanks so much for the way you all have welcomed me to the community and the helpful advice you have shared. And oh yeah, I have the fever. I've got it bad.

jt2gt

Reaction score

My suspicion is that the greyish Brixtons you saw were actually completely new, maybe tried on in store, but not seriously worn. NatCXL will usually start off very pale, and then will patina "golden" with wear and care. CXL won't pick up rain spots either like cordo is prone to doing. Obviously you don't want the shoes soaked, but I wouldn't mind wearing mine outside when showers started. Brush them well, and hit them with some reno/meltonian/whatever, and you should be good to go. I think NatCXL is probably the easiest leather to patina in the quickest amount of time b/c of how little dye is used (if any).

El A....Are these natty cxl...very nice...let us know what you have done to them. Color looks great. Debating whether to get some natural cxl wingtip boots. If I can get them to look like this, I would pull the trigger. JT

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my color 8 Indys to lunch today:

Thoughts on the double cuff? These are new Flat Iron jeans and I can't decide if I should have them hemmed all the way or just shorted so that I could single cuff them instead of the double cuff as seen in the pic.
I like 1" single cuff, but to each his own.
NRO has kid nst's.
I did not mean to imply that I doubted you on the NS.

My suspicion is that the greyish Brixtons you saw were actually completely new, maybe tried on in store, but not seriously worn. NatCXL will usually start off very pale, and then will patina "golden" with wear and care. CXL won't pick up rain spots either like cordo is prone to doing. Obviously you don't want the shoes soaked, but I wouldn't mind wearing mine outside when showers started. Brush them well, and hit them with some reno/meltonian/whatever, and you should be good to go. I think NatCXL is probably the easiest leather to patina in the quickest amount of time b/c of how little dye is used (if any).

And do post pics of the tassels!!
Thank you, El.

good morning - today I will try my first fit of the Hampton last on these color 8 caps. A larger toe box than I was expecting. If the guy who sold these is on the thread "thank you" the shine right out of the box is a very high quality hide. Unlike the plain toes I bought off www and must have been very low grade and black and never keep a shine for long. I was resistant enough about pairing a plain toe derby with a suit, but then to get such a blah finish to them was sad. I wear those very often casually and they love the rain.
Those are hot. They do look a bit bulbous in that pic. Almost like a modified. Do you have big feet?

FWIW:

9697f
6245f
1273s
H155

H4685
Will be googling model numbers for pics.

First, thanks to all who have responded to my original post with welcomes and helpful advice. It is truly appreciated. As for this question, I think I solved the riddle. As stated, the shoes in question are unlined. They are LHS made for BB and the "Shell" marking is visibly stamped in the inside heel. I have since seen this on other made for BB LHS. The Horween stamp on the inside leather appears to be a luck of the draw.

Now for a few more questions (but first, time to fess up to my ignorance). Prior to coming to this site, I assumed cordovan referred only to color. I had no idea that it also referred to the type of leather. So when I received my LHS, my first instinct was to shine the heck out of them, but I could never really get the perfect look. I have since tried almost everything to remove the buildup and use proper techniques for caring for shell. They look better, but I want them to "pop" and I can't seem to get there. A couple of pic's in bad lighting:

These are my favorites. When I saw the color of the welt(?) against the color 8, I was in love. So, to my questions. Any suggestions on what I can do to get these to really pop. I have tried everything and I even have a dearbone on the way. I have seen reference to the 'Mac' method and searched the forum for what that involves with no luck. I have also seen some of his shines and have been blown away every time. If someone can point me to this method i would really appreciate it. My second question relates to my shell color 8's I just received from Alden of Carmel. Is there something I should do to shell's before wearing them. The web is all over the place on this. Carmel's website has a suggestion but it involves a shine that includes 5 separate applications of paste wax. I don't mind the effort but this seems counter to the position of minimal wax shines on shell.

Again, thanks so much for the way you all have welcomed me to the community and the helpful advice you have shared. And oh yeah, I have the fever. I've got it bad.
Just google 'Mac Method'. Surprised you haven't been able to find it. Look in to "Renomat". I bought some, but have not actually used it.

I don't suscribe to AOC's initial wax application ideology. I stick to the Mac Method.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my first pair of cap top jcrew alden cordovan. Noticed a stain of some sort on the color 8. Tried to take a pic of it best I could. New cordovan and just curious is this normal:

Noticed "stain" like this in two spots

Reaction score

FWIW:

9697f
6245f
1273s
H155

H4685

SFTG, thanks very much. That hit the spot! 904's are wingtips, which look incredible. Kid suede is really something: different nap than bovine suede

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have this problem with one of my tongues on my Indy boots as well. It's been posted before and I think the only fix I've seen so far is to have the tongue sewed to one side. Not keen on this idea but it maybe the only fix I've seen so far.

If you are handy you can make a " tongue trap" if you are able or willing you will need to cut a piece of thin leather and punch a couple small holes. If interested I will post a how to

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chasing uncle Mac's shine is like trying to catch a unicorn sliding down a double rainbow. It is not going to happen. The man cheats. He employs a team of oompa loompas who brush and buff 24/7. In addition, his rotation allows him to wear each pair a handful of times a year. (I was trying to be funny, except for the last sentence)

For regular upkeep I wipe w damp cloth, brush each shoe 7-10 mins, quick buff w old cotton tshirt.

To bring back the pop in used and abused shell,
I brush a lot, apply little saphir renovator with my finger, brush a lot again, use very very very little kiwi, brush a lot again, quick buff w cotton tshirt.

I recommend you take care of your own shoes, most shoe shine places have no clue how to treat shell.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chasing uncle Mac's shine is like trying to catch a unicorn sliding down a double rainbow. It is not going to happen.

I recommend you take care of your own shoes, most shoe shine places have no clue how to treat shell.

Isn't it PatrickB who is also able to get mirror-like shines on his shell? If not for him, I would also be as skeptical as you.

+1

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads