***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

FWIW:

The official Alden catalog designates the following models as mocha kid suede

And the following as dark brown suede

9697f
    6245f
    1273s
    H155

And the following as brown suede
    H4685

2. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

First, thanks to all who have responded to my original post with welcomes and helpful advice. It is truly appreciated. As for this question, I think I solved the riddle. As stated, the shoes in question are unlined. They are LHS made for BB and the "Shell" marking is visibly stamped in the inside heel. I have since seen this on other made for BB LHS. The Horween stamp on the inside leather appears to be a luck of the draw.

Now for a few more questions (but first, time to fess up to my ignorance). Prior to coming to this site, I assumed cordovan referred only to color. I had no idea that it also referred to the type of leather. So when I received my LHS, my first instinct was to shine the heck out of them, but I could never really get the perfect look. I have since tried almost everything to remove the buildup and use proper techniques for caring for shell. They look better, but I want them to "pop" and I can't seem to get there. A couple of pic's in bad lighting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are my favorites. When I saw the color of the welt(?) against the color 8, I was in love. So, to my questions. Any suggestions on what I can do to get these to really pop. I have tried everything and I even have a dearbone on the way. I have seen reference to the 'Mac' method and searched the forum for what that involves with no luck. I have also seen some of his shines and have been blown away every time. If someone can point me to this method i would really appreciate it. My second question relates to my shell color 8's I just received from Alden of Carmel. Is there something I should do to shell's before wearing them. The web is all over the place on this. Carmel's website has a suggestion but it involves a shine that includes 5 separate applications of paste wax. I don't mind the effort but this seems counter to the position of minimal wax shines on shell.

Again, thanks so much for the way you all have welcomed me to the community and the helpful advice you have shared. And oh yeah, I have the fever. I've got it bad.

3. jt2gt

jt2gt Senior member

My suspicion is that the greyish Brixtons you saw were actually completely new, maybe tried on in store, but not seriously worn. NatCXL will usually start off very pale, and then will patina "golden" with wear and care. CXL won't pick up rain spots either like cordo is prone to doing. Obviously you don't want the shoes soaked, but I wouldn't mind wearing mine outside when showers started. Brush them well, and hit them with some reno/meltonian/whatever, and you should be good to go. I think NatCXL is probably the easiest leather to patina in the quickest amount of time b/c of how little dye is used (if any).

[​IMG]

El A....Are these natty cxl...very nice...let us know what you have done to them. Color looks great. Debating whether to get some natural cxl wingtip boots. If I can get them to look like this, I would pull the trigger. JT

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I like 1" single cuff, but to each his own.
    I did not mean to imply that I doubted you on the NS.

Thank you, El.
    Those are hot. They do look a bit bulbous in that pic. Almost like a modified. Do you have big feet?

Will be googling model numbers for pics.

Just google 'Mac Method'. Surprised you haven't been able to find it. Look in to "Renomat". I bought some, but have not actually used it.

I don't suscribe to AOC's initial wax application ideology. I stick to the Mac Method.

5. irbe

irbe Senior member

Just got my first pair of cap top jcrew alden cordovan. Noticed a stain of some sort on the color 8. Tried to take a pic of it best I could. New cordovan and just curious is this normal:

[​IMG]

Noticed "stain" like this in two spots

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Cordovan seldom dyes 100% evenly.

7. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Cuff look terrible, hem it bruh

8. 89826

89826 Senior member

SFTG, thanks very much. That hit the spot! 904's are wingtips, which look incredible. Kid suede is really something: different nap than bovine suede

9. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I guess it's really just personal preference. All these look okay to me. (Well okay, the middle one is a bit much) -

Quote:

10. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

If you are handy you can make a " tongue trap" if you are able or willing you will need to cut a piece of thin leather and punch a couple small holes. If interested I will post a how to

11. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Chasing uncle Mac's shine is like trying to catch a unicorn sliding down a double rainbow. It is not going to happen. The man cheats. He employs a team of oompa loompas who brush and buff 24/7. In addition, his rotation allows him to wear each pair a handful of times a year. (I was trying to be funny, except for the last sentence)

For regular upkeep I wipe w damp cloth, brush each shoe 7-10 mins, quick buff w old cotton tshirt.

To bring back the pop in used and abused shell,
    I brush a lot, apply little saphir renovator with my finger, brush a lot again, use very very very little kiwi, brush a lot again, quick buff w cotton tshirt.

I recommend you take care of your own shoes, most shoe shine places have no clue how to treat shell.

12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Does anyone know of a retailer with CXL (either natural or brown) NST boots in stock or with a pre-order?

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Isn't it PatrickB who is also able to get mirror-like shines on his shell? If not for him, I would also be as skeptical as you.

+1

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Leather Sole recently had a few pairs left of their Brown CXL NST boot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.