1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

Not to [​IMG] but could someone explain how to do this? Seems like it's right up my nerdy alley !

Thanks!

Geoff

You put a pen where your joints are and then crease. This way the crease is set exactly where your joint bends and the crease is nice and even.

2. monologuist

monologuist Well-Known Member

Thanks for your insight. I would rather have the Jumper from LS. I assume it will be reordered and I can probably put a deposit down for that.

On the other hand, I have heard of people using coupons on the Jcrew site for discounts on Aldens, even though some folks say that this is not allowed. If this works, it makes it more appealing. I would have to take a closer look at the Jcrew model.

I tried on a pair of the Indys at Jcrew in size 11.5 (I am usually a 12) and they fit nicely. I didn't try on the cordovan boots though. At the time I was more interested in getting a feel for the trubalance last.

I would primarily be wearing the boot with jeans. Probably 99% of the time. I already have a nice pair of Allen Edmonds for suits.

I have the LS Shell Jumper as well. I would agree with the fact that it is probably the better last for wearing with jeans. It definitely has a more rugged profile, especially from the top view. I love wearing it with just about anything, except a suit. Looks amazing with khakis/chinos, black, grey, or blue jeans...my favorite pairings are with olive chinos or black jeans...the only thing I can think of that it looks less than ideal with is really light colors, like a stone, a cream, etc. The Color 8 really is incredibly versatile. I will say that the slick appearance of the shell cordovan makes it look better with pants that are less "distressed" or rumpled looking.

I would nominate the Color 8 Shell Jumper as the most versatile Alden boot Ive yet seen if you don't need to wear it with a suit.

3. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

You put a pen where your joints are and then crease. This way the crease is set exactly where your joint bends and the crease is nice and even.

Awesome, thank you.

Geoff

4. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior member

Dexter, I love the color of these boots...Trickers?

Alden Whiskey. They look 100X better in person. Probably my favorite!

5. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

I just went to buy some Alden 405s and everywhere I went won't ship overseas.

I've never bought from Shoe Mart but there is a FAQ on international shipping on their site, which they do through a third party.

I have, however, bought Aldens from LS and the shipping process was handled perfectly. (The stitching on the uppers pulled through after a few wears but I believe that's a risk with Horween chromexcel and not down to LS.)

6. Burra

Burra Active Member

I've never bought from Shoe Mart but there is a FAQ on international shipping on their site, which they do through a third party.

I have, however, bought Aldens from LS and the shipping process was handled perfectly. (The stitching on the uppers pulled through after a few wears but I believe that's a risk with Horween chromexcel and not down to LS.)

Thanks, but I have looked through ShoeMart and Sherman Bros amongst others. They both say they can't ship Aldens internationally. I have asked ShoeMart for a reason on this, because it seems a bit odd to me, but there must be something to it.

I am in touch with Leather Soul so hopefully they can help me out.

Thanks.

7. banis

banis Senior member

Thanks, but I have looked through ShoeMart and Sherman Bros amongst others. They both say they can't ship Aldens internationally. I have asked ShoeMart for a reason on this, because it seems a bit odd to me, but there must be something to it.

I am in touch with Leather Soul so hopefully they can help me out.

Thanks.

SM told me that they will ship internationally (to Russia) without any problems. They will charge probably the same as LS (50-60$ for Express USPS).

8. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Any other tips/tricks people would recommend for a new pair of shells? Besides putting like 20 coats of snoseal on them obviously. Seriously I have a new pair of Ravello boots (from Epaulet) and have not worn them yet. Any recommendations before wearing? Just the pen trick?

9. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Brown Chromexcel boot Norwegian sewn toe 50/50 metal eyelets and speed-hooks Flat waxed laces Heel tab Double leather sole Close-heel welt Natural sole edge Leydon last Dream boot [​IMG] You hear me LeatherSoul?!

10. acularw

acularw Senior member

I took too long trying to decide on buying the Epaulet natural chromexcel longwings and now they are out of my size (9.5D). I love the combination of this color on a shoe/boot with wingtip/longwing/etc type styling. Are there any other shops with boots or shoes in this natural chromexcel? I know Shoe Mart has some but none of them are really what I am looking for... [​IMG]

11. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

12. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

Any other tips/tricks people would recommend for a new pair of shells?

Besides putting like 20 coats of snoseal on them obviously.

Seriously I have a new pair of Ravello boots (from Epaulet) and have not worn them yet. Any recommendations before wearing? Just the pen trick?

nice choice!

I wouldn't do anything other than wear them!
    (a lot!)

Tom can chime in, but I think the pen trick is more suited for plain toe make ups.

13. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

nice choice! I wouldn't do anything other than wear them! (a lot!) Tom can chime in, but I think the pen trick is more suited for plain toe make ups.
    OK yeah would appreciate hearing about that. When I broke in my black shell full wings (ShoeMart's link is here but I bought them at the Alden Shop in NYC) I didn't use the pen trick. Their creases are angled, and are, perhpas, slightly misaligned... Could post pics later tonight. Tom, or anyone -- thoughts? The boot I'm breaking in is this Ravello wingtip high boot from Epaulet. Needless to say they are stunning in person. EDIT: Also, the Tremont last? WTF? I wear a 10D Trubalance and 10D Barrie. The guy sized me in a Tremont as 8.5D, and he was totally right; they're pretty comfortable. Has this been others' experience? Just curious. I've never seen that last anywhere but those wingtips.

14. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

Any other tips/tricks people would recommend for a new pair of shells?

Besides putting like 20 coats of snoseal on them obviously.

In regards to the Sno-seal experiment that somebody is doing to their Wolverine cordovan boots:

My contact at Alden who reads my blog wanted me to inform the readers that Alden would not recommend this treatment to their shell cordovan shoes or boots. Even though it is Horween shell, Alden applies a different finish to their cordovan which is different than any other brand. Using Sno-seal or anything that is not paste wax could draw the natural vegetable oils from the skin, weakening the tannage over time.

He states: "My main concern is any comparison of Alden Shell Cordovan to others. We are the largest manufacturer of genuine Shell Cordovan shoes in the world and have been for over 50 years and perhaps longer. Shell cordovan is not a "flavor of the month" to us and naturally we would not want an "experiment" to reflect negatively on a material we value so highly".

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

OK yeah would appreciate hearing about that.

When I broke in my black shell full wings (ShoeMart's link is here but I bought them at the Alden Shop in NYC) I didn't use the pen trick. Their creases are angled, and are, perhpas, slightly misaligned... Could post pics later tonight.

I've used the pen trick and not used the pen trick. I know Tom will disagree with me, but I don't find it very helpful. The particular shell determines the way it will crease far more than using a pen can influence. It doesn't hurt to give it a try, but you shouldn't worry that you did something "wrong" if you don't do it.

16. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I took too long trying to decide on buying the Epaulet natural chromexcel longwings and now they are out of my size (9.5D). I love the combination of this color on a shoe/boot with wingtip/longwing/etc type styling.

Are there any other shops with boots or shoes in this natural chromexcel? I know Shoe Mart has some but none of them are really what I am looking for...

Tom said they'd be doing a longwing with crepe sole soon.

17. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

In regards to the Sno-seal experiment that somebody is doing to their Wolverine cordovan boots:

My contact at Alden who reads my blog wanted me to inform the readers that Alden would not recommend this treatment to their shell cordovan shoes or boots. Even though it is Horween shell, Alden applies a different finish to their cordovan which is different than any other brand. Using Sno-seal or anything that is not paste wax could draw the natural vegetable oils from the skin, weakening the tannage over time.

He states: "My main concern is any comparison of Alden Shell Cordovan to others. We are the largest manufacturer of genuine Shell Cordovan shoes in the world and have been for over 50 years and perhaps longer. Shell cordovan is not a "flavor of the month" to us and naturally we would not want an "experiment" to reflect negatively on a material we value so highly".

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Under no circumstances would I Sno-seal shell cordovan. I actually wouldn't put Sno-seal on really anything except maybe Katahdins. I use Montana Pitch-Blend on Chromexcel and rougher leathers, and that works plenty fine. I wouldn't use really anything on shell cordovan except Renovateur. I use black wax polish on my black shells every now and then, but rare shells don't need polish the way black or color 8 do.

I've used the pen trick and not used the pen trick. I know Tom will disagree with me, but I don't find it very helpful. The particular shell determines the way it will crease far more than using a pen can influence. It doesn't hurt to give it a try, but you shouldn't worry that you did something "wrong" if you don't do it.

OK, interesting. Did doing it have any detrimental effect? It sounds like if for some it works and for some it doesn't do anything, then I might as well try it.

18. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

[​IMG]
    whiskey nst

no one commented on this? Jesus, I never cared about whiskey leather until this picture. that color kills.

19. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

engima you can't be a 10.5 in barrie and 8.5 in tremont, one of those things is very wrong

20. tlieu

tlieu Well-Known Member

no one commented on this? Jesus, I never cared about whiskey leather until this picture. that color kills.

I own a pair of Longwing Whiskey and have noticed that people should start posting true colors of their cordovans. Those smart phone pics are misleading. Even some of those retail pics are off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.