1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tylernim

tylernim Well-Known Member

I can handle a hotspot. I also wear decently thick socks which help quite a bit.

I'm just glad to hear that you are basically confirming that they will break in and it won't be an issue in the future...

2. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

I did read the entire thing. I still think he doesn't know his actual size. The Indy boot happened to fit but that doesn't mean has the proper size for it. I realized a few years back that I had been wearing dress shoes a full size too big my entire life because I based it off my Nike size. Luckily they were cheap dress shoes and boots and I gave them all to my dad since that is his size but the point is that there's lots of people who go based off what they've always worn in sneakers when they were younger. My old shoes fit fine and I didn't even notice there was something wrong until I went in to AE to get fitted for a pair of shoes and they told me I'm a 9 and not a 10. I got back home, tried on and my old shoes and realized there was a lot of extra space in my shoes that I had just attributed to 'that's how dress shoes fit i guess' all this time.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  3. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Probably:

#8 cap toe boot or NST boot
    Cigar LWB or chukka
    Ravello PTB
    Whiskey LHS

4. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Are you asking for ideas for MTOs (which can not be done)... Ravello LWB on a last other than barrie?? Snuff suede PT Boot on grant?? Do these even exist??

For now, but this could very easily change... (in no particular order)
    Ravello Indy on plaza
    BB's Black shell PTB
    Color 8 LWB
    Snuff Suede LWB

A few points to note about my choices...
    a. I generally dress business casual to somewhat dressy so I look for versatility
    b. I had to include one snuff suede pair
    c. I love the LWB
    d. Excluding a cigar model was really hard, but I have C&J for RL Marlow [​IMG]

5. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

Nice, Mike. Very nice. I love the subtle variation in the shell. Loads of character. :)

6. ReppTiePrepster

No offense my friend, but I bet Adam (from Alden of Carmel) loves you! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. ReppTiePrepster

My friend, you need to work on your reading comprehension. Danomagazine said he owns the traditional Indy (trubalance last) in 9.5C and it's a great fit. He's tried a 9.5D Indy and it fits fine, but 9.5C is best. He bought a shell boot (AF43) on the trubalance last and surprisingly had problems with sizing with this different model on the same last. His sneaker size had nothing to do with this process.

8. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Was thinking precisely the same thing........

9. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

I go based off contextual clues and assume I'm dealing with the lowest common denominator. Too much time spent in forums and working in IT have made me cynical that way. If his sneaker sizing had nothing to do with this process it didn't need to be mentioned. It still sounds to me that he's going about this through trial and error and not actually being fitted at an Alden store. I could be wrong and if he comes on here and says that he has been fitted in the past, I'll apologize and admit my mistake.

10. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

11. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

[​IMG]
    Been breaking in my AF53s and wearing them pretty hard for the past two weeks. I bought them with the intention of using them more regularly and in more inclement weather than my other pairs of shell. Basically to treat them like nothing more than a pair of boots. So far so good.

I find it interesting how each pair of my shell boots has "broken in" differently from the others, but this pair even more so. This is my first pair of plain toe shell (not counting my Ravello chukkas) and they display far more wrinkles than my Cigar Indys, #8 cap toes, #8 Brixtons, and black short wing boots from TSM. I really like the rippling nuances of the shell and color variations on my AF53s.

I'm assuming my other pairs look considerably different in the toe/toe box area because of the differences in their construction that provide more rigidity in that area. The Indys have the hand-stitching which I think acts like a stiffener and influences how the shell creases, the cap toes have the extra "cap" that helps define where the shell "breaks", and both pairs of wing tips broke in similarly to each other.

I guess I'm rambling on and on with nothing to say other than I think it's amazing how each pair has a different look once broken in, even when wrapped around the same pair of feet.

12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I'll limit these to four in my collection

1) Cigar captoe boots on grant
    2) Color 8 tankers
    3) Black captoe punch balmorals
    4) Color 8 PTB

13. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

The first time I bought from AoC, Adam specifically asked me if I'd been fitted on the particular last I was buying. I'm sure he asked you the same thing, but even if you hadn't been it sounds like you gave him plenty of info, and I doubt he would have sold you what he sold you if he thought it wouldn't fit. Adam is a good guy and you ought to be able to work with him on ultimately getting it right. Even two exactly the same shell pairs can vary in fit - sometimes you have to just keep trying until you find the ones. A pain in the @ss, to be sure, but welcome to Internet shopping.

14. sazon

sazon Senior member

Nice list Al.

Mine, from my collection, would be:

1. 975s
    2. Color 4 Wingtip Boot
    3. Ravello PTB
    4. Color 8 NST Boot on Plaza

15. sazon

sazon Senior member

Gents - Jan was a hard month !

I'm one month into my 1 year Alden moratorium. No new Aldens for a year. Ouch, that hurts to say.

Okay, in a moment of weakness I ordered a pair of snuff suede captoe boots before the price increase. Interestingly, my normal Barrie size was way too tight. I took this as a sign from the Alden Gods. They were returned.

Of course, this does not include pre-orders or waiting lists from last year. So I have potentially 3 pair coming this year, if they ever get made !

Over the past several months, I have parted with:

Alden Whiskey LWB
    Alden Cigar LWB
    Alden Nat CXL Tankers
    Alden #8 Indys
    Alden #8 Plain Toe boot on the Plaza
    Alden x J Crew CXL indys
    Alden #8 LHS
    Alden Blue Suede Captoe boots on the Plaza

AE #8 Shell Wingtips
    AE Snuff Suede Wingtips
    AE Cigar Shell Strands
    AE Strand Walnut Shell
    AE Walnut Park Ave
    AE #8 Shell Park Ave

Alfred Sargent Captoe Boots
    RedWing 8890
    Red Wing 1907

I replaced a few spots with Vibergs and Oak ST trench boots, but for the most part, I'm trying to get this collection under control.

The kids need clothes and food and all this other non-sense...

2 people like this.
  16. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

He asked me the exact same thing a few weeks ago. I told him about what I had and how it fit but he insisted I go in to a store and get fitted and am I glad that he did. I don't think I could order Aldens from any site that wouldn't take returns because as you said they all fit differently and IMO they all look much different in person than they do in pics.

17. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Friendly advice, spend less time on forums.

18. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

I can't argue with you but not much else to do when you sit behind a computer 8-5. Only so many new stories on ESPN.com each day. And this weekend I'm on-call so I'll be at my desk most of the weekend as well. With IT, even when you're working there's a lot of waiting around for stuff to process or reboot, etc. so that's how I kill time.

You folks in this thread are much more polite and intelligent than most of the internet, including some other threads on SF.

19. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I am still amazed you unloaded the AE Walnut shell Strands.
    I know you loved them. (among many of the others)
    Although.... Sometimes a cleanse is needed.

20. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

These are very nice. :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.