1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sazon

sazon Senior member

Just as you listed them...

1. J Gilbert tan wingtip boot on commando sole (Barrie)

2. Alden Madison chromexcel punch captoe boot on commando sole (Barrie)

3. Indy 403 (flat waxed laces)

4. Context Roy

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I'd get whichever one is available on your size. Both are great. I have the J Crew PCT boot and love it. I have no experience with the tanker so I can't really comment other than they look great in these posted pics.

3. n-domino

n-domino Senior member

I really like my Leffot tanker boots. The style was not something that appealed to me at first, but it eventually grew on me. You can't go wrong with the Jcrew captoe boot, though. It's incredibly versatile. My advice, however, is first get whatever style appeals to you more.

4. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Great minds think alike my friend... I concur!

5. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Tan Wingtip, had em, loved em... got a lot of compliments
    Cap Toe
    Indy
    Roy--- Just thing there are too many other PT out there.

6. Dirty Gurty

Dirty Gurty Senior member

I wish that J Crew #8 cap toe was on a commando sole, dang!

7. DennisM

DennisM Member

I'm thinking the same thing about insoles, and they're on their way to Dallas! Kathi did mention that they have a couple more eyelets than usual, so that should help with the fit. I'm anxious to check out the color on them, hoping they're more red than "light cigar". Take care, Doc.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I'm not saying I agree with the decision - just throwing this theory out there .....

I should be able to report back within the next day or two as to whether or not this is a newly adopted policy. I have a reliable source who is fairly close to the action. I suspect it is not.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

Consider the Grant captoe and the Plaza NST too.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

As I recall, Mac has at least one whiskey model with dark brown edging. It looks good.

On the whole I prefer dark edging. Having said that, I own plenty of models with antique edging (all exotics), and I would hate to see them do away with it.

11. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

#8 boots today
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Whiskey with dark sole edges. Model # 6746. The version with light color sole edge has a different model number.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

I'm on the east coast so tracking says mine won't arrive until next Thursday.

Yeah, that's my fear. I'd be fine if the Ravellos had a mini-lug sole or a danite sole that Alden doesn't do. I'll see how I feel once I see them in person next week.

The other thing I noticed about shell was that it fits a bit roomier than standard leather. At least this was true with the #8 chukkas and the calfskin chukkas I tried on at Alden DC a few weeks ago. Is this true for shell shoes in general or was this just a one off thing?

14. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Ravello version with dark sole edges. 6754
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

All this edging discussion....is it possible to use something like renomat and then maybe Allen Edmonds edge dressing to choose your own color? I was thinking about doing that with a pair of color 8 chukkas.

16. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Same here. I called around 4:30 EST with cc in hand and they had my size. It was tempting but I decided against it only because they weren't commando.

17. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

I don't think renomat would strip the edging. A friend of mine tried acetone, but that didn't work very well. Eventually, he resorted to a fine grit sandpaper, which worked well. You could then use your own edge dressing of any colour.

Do at your own risk.

18. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Sandpaper makes sense. I guess the risk is just doing too much and having a badly shaped shoe or scratching the leather or perhaps staining the leather when applying the edge dressing? What are the horror stories? Seems pretty straight forward to me.

19. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Here's an idea'r that just came to me. You know those elastic hair bands women use to tie back their hair? What if you took one of those and wrapped it around the wooden part of the brush, thus creating a ersatz bumper? Patent pending of course. Maybe one of you gentlemen who has many daughters can field test this idea. The other option is to buy shoe brushes whose handles are made out of buffalo horn. I've found that they are less damaging when accidents happen.

20. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

PeterL just posted a very nice tutorial on this and his turned out great. I've got a pair of color 8 Florsheim PTB's from eBay arriving tomorrow. I'm going to try and change the edging from dark to antique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.