1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

I'm somewhat obsessive that way.
    One Christmas my wife got me a dozen pairs of trees.

2. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Distinguished Member

Nice cherry pick, leave out the useful posts. I'd do the same to you, but really, if Tom's calling you a pain in the ass then apparently I'm the last to realize it.

Hey now, I only said pain in the ass because I love Jet. [​IMG]

3. sockpuppets

sockpuppets Senior Member

Wow zippy. Some of those look like you've never worn them. Beautiful shoes, I'm envious.

4. Stamper1924

Stamper1924 Active Member

I've been a long time lurker but only posting now. I've learned a lot about Aldens through this thread and thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge. Good or bad, I think this is addicting! [​IMG]

Thought I'd share what I picked these up from LS. I got the Unlined Chukkas 2 months ago and just got the Chromexcel Plaza Wingtip Boot (which I love!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. GreatHighway

GreatHighway Senior Member

welcome! i also joined recently. great shots of those wing tip boots

6. Ahab

Ahab Distinguished Member

[​IMG]
    AWESOME!

How are you liking the blue suede chukka's? Are they versatile? Do you get a lot of wear out of them?
    Wow zippy. Some of those look like you've never worn them. Beautiful shoes, I'm envious.
    How can you notice past the flaws?

But I believe these are pics of them when they were new and a lot are in this thread.
    I've been a long time lurker but only posting now. I've learned a lot about Aldens through this thread and thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge. Good or bad, I think this is addicting! [​IMG]

Thought I'd share what I picked these up from LS. I got the Unlined Chukkas 2 months ago and just got the Chromexcel Plaza Wingtip Boot (which I love!).

Great shoes! I love the Chromexcel Plaza wingtip boots. If I did not already have that color and style colored I would have to get a pair. Do you wear them a lot?

7. zippyh

AWESOME!

How are you liking the blue suede chukka's? Are they versatile? Do you get a lot of wear out of them?

Blue suede is awesome. I've been wearing them quite a bit this summer.
    They bleed a bit on light colored pants though.

I just photobombed all the Aldens I already had online.
    Many of the shoe were unworn when the pics were taken.

For the record, I've only had one pair of Aldens with a problem. A pair of wingtip boots with some
    uneven stitching. Retailer (A-o-C) took them back with no problems.

8. zippyh

[​IMG]

Really liking those boots.
    If I hadn't had some chromexcel longwings on order already I would have been deeply tempted to get those boots.

9. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Distinguished Member

could someone speak to chromexcel and it's relative qualities? I read the Horween blog about it, which tells how it is made, which is cool to know. but, really, I'm more interested in it's qualities as a shoe leather and why I should care about it

how well it ages, how tough it is, how weather resistant it is, how dressy vs rustic it is, etc.

especially compared to shell in these matters.

10. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior Member

could someone speak to chromexcel and it's relative qualities? I read the Horween blog about it, which tells how it is made, which is cool to know. but, really, I'm more interested in it's qualities as a shoe leather and why I should care about it how well it ages, how tough it is, how weather resistant it is, how dressy vs rustic it is, etc. especially compared to shell in these matters.
    I bought a 403 over a 405 because of the chromexcel. It's very versatile. It's a tough, thick leather but looks like something you would find on a good quality dress shoe. Obviously, it's not as glossy as shell, which is a good thing in my book. I've been wearing them three or four times a week for the past few months and I have yet to treat them despite a few scuffs around the heel and toe. As for being weather resistant... I have yet to wear them in snow or during a heavy downpour. But like any leather boot, I would treat it with Snoseal or Obenaufs or just mink oil beforehand. I'm probably going to put them on the shelf when it snows, though. But that has everything to do with the sole and nothing to do with the chromexcel. It's all up to the wearer. If you want to baby these boots, they will look great in just about any setting outside the boardroom. If you want to beat them up, they will still look great.

11. edubs01

edubs01 Distinguished Member

Queswtion for chukka owners....do you find that the height runs your ankle the wrong way.
    Years ago I had bought a similar type shoe and wore them once and hjad to return them b/c of the way they rubbed my ankle.

12. Stamper1924

Great shoes! I love the Chromexcel Plaza wingtip boots. If I did not already have that color and style colored I would have to get a pair. Do you wear them a lot?[/quote]

I just got them but I will definitely using them frequently in my rotation.

13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Distinguished Member

Queswtion for chukka owners....do you find that the height runs your ankle the wrong way.
    Years ago I had bought a similar type shoe and wore them once and hjad to return them b/c of the way they rubbed my ankle.

I find they do rub my ankle but not in any way that would bother me, even after all day wear.

14. Stamper1924

I had a problem with my chukkas rubbing the back of my ankle to the point where I needed a bandaid. I took a chance and kept up with the break-in (with a bandaid) and after about 5 wearings I didn't have a problem. In fact, its my most comfortable shoe now and I don't need the bandaid.

15. GreatHighway

GreatHighway Senior Member

I had a problem with my chukkas rubbing the back of my ankle to the point where I needed a bandaid. I took a chance and kept up with the break-in (with a bandaid) and after about 5 wearings I didn't have a problem. In fact, its my most comfortable shoe now and I don't need the bandaid.

this happened to me with a pair of mid-top nikes. i used a band-aid too. same results as you: eventually worked. i dont have a problem with my chukkas, though, which im wearing now...heres some ravello love [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.