1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirty Gurty

Dirty Gurty Senior member

Is there an email address for them or should I just call the store? Thanks guys!

2. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

The number on the business card is 202-347-2308 and the email address is washdc@aldenshoe.com. I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is since I went in to the store to pick them up. Joe was the one who helped me and he was great. Very patient and had me try on as many different sizes of various styles as he thought we needed until I got the perfect fit. The manager is Kathy and she seemed very polite as well although I didn't end up interacting with her as much.

3. prez

prez Senior member

the Top one is the 2160 Aberdeen last, while the one in Endclothing is the 2170 Y Barrie last

1 person likes this.
  4. prez

prez Senior member

amazing uncle!

5. icepick74

icepick74 Member

Thank you Prez, I googled 2170 Y and I found more images http://www.manifestcreations.net/goods/20140810083752-2309.html

Not that at this point it is of capital importance, but for the sake of completeness - although you are probably right - I confess I am not 100% (only 90% [​IMG]) convinced that it's the Barrie last. I mean, yes the welt is surely larger but the upper looks just the same of the 2160 Aberdeen, just put on a differently shaped welt. Shouldn't the last be something concerning the shape of the upper (so basically the inner part) and not of the sole/welt?

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

FWIW, I like the first one much better, and I think you were sent the better one. :D

7. thams

thams Senior member

Just call - it's easier to have sizing conversations and whatnot over the phone. Plus, I don't like to email payment information, but that's just me.

8. thams

thams Senior member

It's been overcast in DC the past few days, but today I'm finally able to photograph the ravello medallions in natural light. Interesting that there are some green undertones to the shoe (second pic). We'll see how that develops over time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. icepick74

icepick74 Member

You know what? The more I investigate this "case", looking at pics on the Internet, the more I like the ones sent to me better. Maybe it is my brain which wants to preserve my serenity... Plus my wife declared her preference for the first one, and I am influenced by her opinion. Of course she said that only not to be bothered with my complaints!

10. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

11. icepick74

icepick74 Member

12. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

I would have thought that was Whiskey had you not written Ravello. In fact, it looks lighter than some of the more recent runs of Whiskey I've seen.

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I know I said that you could expect black shell today, but I pulled a fast one and went with Color 8 instead, since it matched my tie better.

Flash:
    [​IMG]

Natural Light:
    [​IMG]

14. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Couldn't agree more! Enjoy them my friend...

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

What sort of sole do they have? Are they double or single leather? Thanks...

16. thams

thams Senior member

They look (compared to my LWB) and feel like a double leather sole to me. I didn't specifically ask Kathy though when I bought them.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  17. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

18. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I think this pair officially debunks the whole debate of "all new exotic shells are darker than previous batches." This pair looks great, I love the shade. And they are definitely lighter than the other recent Ravello LWBs and PTBs that were available a few months ago. I think we can all agree that the shade of the shell can vary from batch to batch, sometimes it's lighter, sometimes it's darker.

19. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Yes, the last is strictly concerning the shape of the upper, and has nothing to do with the welt they use. You can bulk up a sleeker last with a 360 degree welt just as you can slim down a bulky last with a 270 degree welt. Historically, the type of welt selected is based on casual/formal nature of the shoe, intended use, and tradition. Just like selecting a double vs. a single leather sole, leather vs. rubber sole, etc.

Sometimes changing the welt just allows the company that ordered it to claim a "special make-up" and sell a lot of shoes, without regard for the other reasons.

20. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Ravello LWB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.