1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicious49

Vicious49 Well-Known Member

Black cordovan - I was wondering why I don't see much of it. Most of the cordovan pics I see on here are of the color 8 stuff. I know the color 8 has the deep purple hue that people prefer so I'm assuming that's why there's a lot more of it but I cant remember the last time I saw black shell posted here (been lurking for a week or two). If I was thinking of getting black PTBs, is it better to save the $150 and go with calf skin over cordovan?

2. smdbitchh

smdbitchh Well-Known Member

Black shell doesnt seem to be so popular on here.

here is a picture of my black shell plain toe boots I just threw on. Heading to B. nelson now in Manhattan.

[​IMG]

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

No. Black cordovan is awesome, and black cordovan PTBs are among Alden's best models. I think the majority of my pictures the past few weeks have been black cordovan. I have posted black cordovan captoe boots, black captoe balmoral shoes and black PTBs. I wore my black tanker boots yesterday.

Most people on the thread don't appear to wear black shoes very much at all (calf or cordovan). I wear black shoes about 30-40% of the time (more in the winter). That's why you don't see much of it in the thread.

4. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

These have been a great go to for me, and I would say photos in general rarely capture the depth of any Cordovan color (although a few esteemed members are pretty solid with the pics such as tifosi and mdubs) however black Cordovan seems particularly difficult to photograph.
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't hesitate to say go for it. I would probably own more in black except it's not my preferred style rather than an issue of one being better than another. And of course #8 is more versatile with many different colors plus it looks great too.

5. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Alden Stock Model #9015. The Hampton last has really grown on. Very much loving it these days.

[​IMG]

6. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

I've had great experiences with Sherman Bros. in Philly. I happened to be there in December two years ago and purchased my first shell cordovan pair, color 8 LWB @ 20% off. They didn't have my size, but they had Alden ship me a pair to my home directly. $500 for that pair was the best bargain I've found BNIB. A year later I called them and had a pair of 9901 sent from the factory directly to my home at 15% off. At that point they stopped taking orders over the phone when they ran their holiday sale. If you live in Philly or you're in town the first week of December, you should stop in for their annual sale. They treated me quite well.

BTW, I agree Geno's and Pat's are extremely disappointing (I actually mentioned that in the original post). I just thought I'd stir the pot a little with one of Philly's so-called, big culinary debates. I'll have to try Steve's the next time I'm in Philly.

7. Vicious49

Vicious49 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I was looking at these on AoC. I figure if I'm only going to have 1 pair of black shoes, I wanted something that I would not have to worry about babying or replacing the soles, etc anytime soon. I figure the shell with the commando soles should last a while. My only concern is that shell might make them look a bit more formal than the semi-casual purpose I want to use them for.

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Shoes-Plain_Toe_Blucher_Oxford_Commando_Sole_175.htm
    [​IMG]

8. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

Roughly how long is the wait from the start of production to completion of the order?

9. Nakedsnake

Wondering if anyone has some photos of the Alden DC cigar cap toe boot (or something comparable ) with a good amount of wear on them? Having trouble deciding between the Cigar cap toe, or the 4060 (#8 cap toe from shoemart). Seems easier to find photos of the 4060. Currently leaning towards the cigar, if I can get a pair when this order is filled.

10. Alcibiades

Shell won't make the style any more or less formal. There has been a lot of discussion about this shoe recently. It is a great, all condition, versatile model.

11. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

Look at Don L's photos. I didn't ask how long once production starts. With the size of this order, maybe a month or two.??

12. Alcibiades

Don L posts pictures of the boot regularly.

The 4060 is dressier than the cigar given the color and sole (the cigar can be worn with dressy outfits if desired). I have the cigar boots and the 4065 (black captoe cordovan boots in grant); both get a ton of wear. If you could stretch it, I would recommend you get both as these to me are among Alden's best models available.

13. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

Get 'em. With that commando sole. They're pretty much a swiss army knife in black for you. They'll work with jeans, flannel pants, a suit...etc...

14. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

Any chance you could ask them if they stock the Alden Foot Balance heel caps?

15. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Is there a specific Alden to email for laces? Trying to figure out some laces myself now but unsure who to email.

16. ReppTiePrepster

I should clarify my endorsement of Sherman Bros. If you are looking for any of Alden's stock models, they will help you acquire what you want even if they do not have your shoe or size in stock. They carry a decent collection of shoes, but I wouldn't count on finding anything other than standard stock models especially in shell cordovan. I suppose any decent retailer will do this, but two shell purchases there a year apart went fabulously well with 20 and 15% discounts. They did go above and beyond to ensure I got what I wanted. Other retailers have not offered direct shipping from the factory in my experience. In both instances, I had the shoes in hand, at home within three days.

Unfortunately, I have given up red meat for the first half of this year. I will move my next trip to Philly to the end of the summer... [​IMG]

17. Nakedsnake

Thanks for the rough idea. I just always hear orders can take months, years, or an infinite amount of start to start production, but not much about the length after production commencing.
    Thank you, i'll look at some of his photos. And yes, you've told me what I have been thinking for a while, that in the long run, ill end up with both haha. I have thought though, that if I got the cigar on Grant, I would want the #8 cap toe on plaza, perhaps.

Can't stretch the budget now for both. One this year, maybe another in a year or two. Given that the Cigar version seems to be a little bit harder to come by, it seems it would make sense to get that one first.

Thanks again guys

18. ReppTiePrepster

Absolutely not! Black shell is very much underrated. Some of my favorites...
    Blacks Shell LWBs and PTBs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have not purchased any Alden black calf, so I can make a strong comparison. However, Black shell is a must for any ardent devotee of shell cordovan.

1 person likes this.
  19. thams

thams Well-Known Member

I just called and Kathy said the order should be filled in about 4 months or so. She also said the order could be filled in waves so give or take some time. Luckily there are four pairs of 8.5D's scheduled for production and I'm #4 on the list. I'm hoping they don't come up short in production which Kathy said is entirely possible. If everything goes well then my wallet will be a little lighter come May.

20. irishcafe

irishcafe Active Member

going to pull the trigger on either the AOC AF80 color 8 shortwing blucher or the all time fav #975 color 8...:slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.