***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

Hi.

I'm a bit of a shoe n00b.
    I bought these Alden bluchers on eBay a few months back (in march). I have sinned and not used shoe trees in them, I will start in a few weeks though as I will buy a pair of Alden shoe trees in NYC.

I've only worn them three or four times, but I've noticed somewhat of an ankle flaring. Is this a major issue that can't be fixed or will help if I let the shoes rest with shoe trees in them for a while?

[​IMG]

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I don't have this issue with any of my Aldens, but I do with my AE Strands, although it is fairly slight in my instance. I suppose it is a slightly improper fit, but I just live with it as it is not uncomfortable nor unsightly. It has nothing to do with shoe tree use. Perhaps someone else hear could elaborate. Enjoy and wear in good health my friend!

3. Burton

Burton Senior member

This looks like one of two things: 1) A very poor fit - you should be in a narrower shoe or 2) These are seconds or defectively made shoes. Without much info I am going with 1.

4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Also, You don't have to wait to get Alden shoe trees from NYC. They don't make their own trees, they just order them from another company with their own name plate. I get a lot of mine from Amazon. Since I am a prime member I get free shipping, so it works out to be a little cheaper or the same as buying them in-store.

Many folks get them from Jos. A Bank during their buy 1 get 2 sale, or whatever it is.

Either way, you can get what are essentially the same trees from other sources for cheaper.

5. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Bakes is correct. Almost 90% of shoe trees are made by Woodlore, and Allen Edmonds Company. They sell these all over and from a range of prices. You can find them if you've got a Nordstrom Rack by you for $12.90, on sale they're $9.90.

Don't blow a bunch of $$$ on a shoe tree with a specific plaque on it. Besides...you'll have more $$$ for shoes :)

6. sellran

sellran Senior member

I did tell a friend so he could come and get it if I died before my partner (who doesn't know) took it to goodwill.

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

welcome to the forum enjoy wearing chukkas and straight tip in good health

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    wt look good in natural light

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    looking good in your gunboats

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  10. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

That is very funny and very smart. I had a look at the site you bought the buckle from and noted that you did not go with the $4K buckle. Admirable self-restraint. :)

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, wear your full strap in good health

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    I like your cigars

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    enjoy wearing your gunboats

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

ravello lhs
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  15. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

Hello,

Recently purchased Nano Protector from Leffot (http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/nano-protector-1334.html ) and also the Saphir Suede Care Starter Kit (http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-suede-care-starter-kit.html#.UcZtnfke98E) from the Hanger Project, which includes both Shapir Renovateur and Shapir Super Invulner Protector. I have a pair of snuff suede alden chukkas x JCrew (crepe sole) and I want to protect them so I can start wearing them and no get worried about a sudden rainstorm. What would you gentlemen recommend as far as preparing these for their first use? Is Nano Protector or Saphir Super Invulner preferred over each other? What does the Shapir Renovateur do? How often and how much should I apply of this stuff?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.