1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundersfc2

soundersfc2 Well-Known Member

I don't get why most people prefer shell cordovan, I don't like the shine and I think they look too purplish. I definitely like the 2nd a lot more.

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Different strokes for different folks! It's your money. Buy what you like!

1 person likes this.
  3. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

No brainer ......1st pic:slayer:

4. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I can respect your opinion, just know that you've inadvertently swapped color 8 and the term 'shell cordovan' to be one in the same, so to speak.. one can have a pair of shell shoes, albeit shiny or not, and be nowhere near a purplish hue

these are shell

[​IMG]

as are all three of these pair,

[​IMG]

5. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

At one time I didn't care for shell - I actually just didn't "understand" it. I thought it had a shiny, plasticky effect to it and I knew that you really were not supposed to polish it up. That, combined with a lack of any concept as to its properties, put me off of it. I recall shelves of Aldens, many in in rare colors -- it was plentiful in the shop near the South Street Seaport I used to go to -- and I'd just kind of ignore it. Yeah, the shoes were cool in their way, but it was a whole other thing I didn't want to mess with. Some 7-10 years later, with many of my older calf shoes starting to wear out, I can't help but thinking about how those Aldens would have aged and all of the great options I missed.

Not to say this will happen to OP. Shell isn't for everyone and that's great for the rest of us.

6. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

^^ More for us!!

7. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

And the light bulb just went on. Makes sense. Thanks.

8. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Agreed.

However, Alden shell is considerably shinier than shell shoes from other makers.

If you don't like the gloss, you've got options. But shell can take a beating like no other, and requires only basic maintenance.

9. sazon

sazon Senior member

100% agreed,as I have sold the following models over the past year:

Cigar LWB
    Whiskey LWB
    Ravello Captoe Blucher
    Cigar PTB
    Ravello wing tip boot (sold, as was too close to #4 WTB)
    AE Cigar ttrand
    AE Walnur Shell Strand

I am down to 2 Ravello (PTB and LWB) 2 Cigar (Indy and WT Boot) and 1 whiskey (PTB)

Heresy!

10. sazon

sazon Senior member

Would never think of pairing these up, but they look great with raw denim!

11. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

can anyone shed light on why some Alden X JCrew on the bay are marked with black marker on the insole "to prevent returns"?

does this signify seconds, try ons/returns, shop soiled, or something else? sold at discount?

thx.

12. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

I am very heavy on Color 8 and black, at least 5 of each, with Ravello a close second at 3 pairs. Have one each of Cigar (LWB), Whiskey (chukka), and Color 4 (cap toe boot), only for the variety, but hardly consider them staples. I evolved into this situation myself, having sold my less frequently worn makeups.

13. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

These are spectacular. Well done.

14. turdburglar

turdburglar Well-Known Member

Sorry- are these the same as their Brown chromexcel PTB? When I look up the covers the style number is completely diff (dover- 29364f vs PTB blucher- 95080).

15. T-Ton

T-Ton Member

Hi there,

I just got this pair from theshoesmart. I cannot find any reviews or details about this model. The model no. #3560, brown calf and Van last. Do you have any ideas about this model.

Thank you so much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Thank you very much.

17. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

what do you want to know? Alden makes a Moc c stitch toe loafer - the lhs - in many colors of cordovan and calf skin leather. It makes a lace-up shoe with a mocc stitch toe in cordovan and many colors of calf akin leather that you don't see as much as the lpafer. My sense is that the Alden makes the lace-up only on retailer order. You have a mocc to lace-up boot that is even more rare than the lace-up and looks like a great casual boot. Enjoy them.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  18. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Fine looking boots and khakis my friend. Stay warm and dry, and wear in great health...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  19. ReppTiePrepster

20. ReppTiePrepster

Dubs, your posts of pics are an invaluable contribution to this forum. Well done my friend! Keep posting away...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.