1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Hey Gentlemen, again, I request your sizing expertise:

8.5D RL Marlow Shell Penny Loafers = ??? Alden Shell LHS

2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

You are likely looking at an 8.5 but would do well to see if you can try an 8.5C *and* an 8.5D. Heel may slip if you don't go down a width. Then again, it may not.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

1 person likes this.
  4. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

Actually i was just trying to see if anyone have the same experience with medallion not matching. I tried to google alden shoe and went through many pictures of alden shoes with medallion. I couldn't find anything like the one i have.

5. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Oh boy...

It's Alden, my friend. None of the American shoemakers have great QC, so this is to be expected. Honestly, a width difference of 1mm is not noticeable and inconsequential. I doubt anyone can even see anything wrong with the medallion.

You could try returning them, but there's no guarantee the next pair won't be the same or worse. I don't think there's anything wrong with these, as long as the uppers are in excellent condition and there are no issues with clicking or the leather.

6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Oh yeah, wonky medallion isn't uncommon. But usually they match, as in both medallions are set equally too low.
    TBH, I think having the one wonky medallion would be a deal killer for me. Especially so with something as readily available as the #8 LWB.

I've seen this problem with Carmina, Tricker's and C&J too.

7. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

So would you return them if you had the same pair?

8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

There was some discussion on this very topic on the C&J for RL thread a week or so ago with respect to a Marlow. I think the consensus there was to return them. But the medallion was off a bit more.

If you are unhappy with them, return them. This is a stock model, so they should be readily available. To me the 1mm diff is nothing, so long as they fit. Also, that welt cut looks about normal to me for Alden.

-Mike

9. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

For the width, its more about the comfort when wearing them. I can feel the right shoe is more tight. For the medallion, seems like i found the answers of the expectancy of the quality of Alden shoes. Thanks for your opinion sir.

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Yes.

I think people have been fixated on your sort of ridiculous 1mm sole width difference statement and I think your quite legit concern about the wonky medallion got lost.
    If the medallions were equally wonky, it wouldn't bug me, but to have one like that is pretty bad in my opinion.

11. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

Thank you for your opinion sir. yea,I should have just said that the right shoe are tighter on the width compare to the left one instead of saying that there is a 1mm different.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  12. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

Re the wonky medallion, I see it now that I've looked at it again after all the other comments. It's not terrible, and nobody will ever notice it if they look at your shoes while you're wearing them. But you'll know it's there. Re the 1 mm, are you sure your feet are perfectly symmetric? I know many people's, mine included, aren't...

13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Sorry crappy IOS photos, but i stopped by Alden store in San Francisco and saw some cool wing tip boots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

I see issues with both shoes unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.[​IMG]

15. sazon

sazon Senior member

I just took delivery of a pair of 975s. The color 8 dye job on the vamp should have put these in the seconds list. I'm really surprised Alden sent them out.
    I was so disgusted that I just reboxed them up without taking pictures. But you guys know anyway all too well what that looks like.

Snuff Friday:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Sorry about the 975s
    I am sure you will have things rectified, but it still is a pain in the backside.
    On a positive note, the boots look great today.

17. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

it sounds like you are looking for the perfect shoe. Alden is probably not the right brand if thats what you are looking for. Maybe try Edward Green.....I think they are more in the business of constructing a flawless shoe.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  18. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Nice!! I've been eyeing the Unionmade snuff Indy for a while. For today though, just a pair od 403s:

[​IMG]

19. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yes, please. I like the burgundy makeup. But I'll take both!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.