***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Thank you very much. I am struggling a bit lately with my Barrie shoes fitting great and my Barrie boots being quite snug

2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I believe that he was referring to the Chili or Walnut Shoe Polish and not the Heel or Sole Edge Dressing. I would compare the output of the Chili Sole Edge Dressing from your strands and compare it against the soles of your Aldens. I think that the Chili is a bit darker and redder than Alden and much more shiny. Someone here posted an entry a few weeks ago on the great job that they did on their Alden antique edges. Will dig up and repost it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Uncle,

From Alden shoes, to argyle socks, to thick wale cords and needlepoint belts, I admire you style.

Lucky for me, I have two sisters that like to needlepoint and have made a few belts of their own for me. (As well as a nice pillow.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some are still works-in-progress, but they are working on a few other needlepoint projects at the moment.

If you have a 'Method' for cleaning needlepoint belts, please share. As you can see, the green one has become a bit soiled over the years.

4. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Thank you Uncle. Marcoliani but not OTC. Can't wear wool OTCs on warm days.

Gabarro Straps. Learned about them from the Horween blog:
    http://horween.com/products/upgrade-gabarro-straps/

Have to email them as cordovan straps aren't on their website. They can be flaky with one off orders but straps are really nice.

Thanks. The bracelet doesn't fit right on my wrist and I had the strap already.

5. amftx

amftx Well-Known Member

I did mean polish, since its somewhat opaque. Their edge dressing would most likely be too much if you want to maintain the natural look.

6. amftx

amftx Well-Known Member

I tend to lace tighter and wear thicker socks with my boots.

7. mdubs

Here are the instructions that Patrick came up with for re-touching antique soles. Looks pretty darn good if you were to ask me.

8. mdubs

Exactly. I didn't know how they interpreted your response, so I just tried to clarify... :)

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    that is interesting, do you find this issue on all your barrie last boots. I have had the experience in which trying on a shoe the first pair does not fit right and then the second pair fits properly. if you can get to a brick and mortar store try on a boot going up a half size

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, there is a business opportunity for there work. I do not have a solution to the cleaning issue

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    glad I can be helpful

12. Yaniel

Yaniel Member

Thanks for clarifying

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I'd be happy to. :D

The Alden for BB suede captoe blucher ( straight tip), shell captoe blucher ( straight tip), and shell captoe bal (perf tip) are all on the Snap last. I am 100% certain of this. I own them all. The Snap is one of my favorite Alden lasts.

The Alden factory shell captoe blucher (straight tip) and shell captoe blucher (straight tip with medallion toe) are on the Aberdeen. I own those models too. The Alden factory shell captoe bal (perf tip and straight tip) is on the Hampton (I have tried on the perf tip and used to own the straight tip).

Your Alden for BB shell captoe bluchers (straight tip with medallion toe), which have not been offered by BB for retail sale in recent years as I recall, are indeed on the Aberdeen. And they also are literally the same as the Alden factory shell captoe blucher ( straight tip with medallion toe) - to the point that they carry the same exact model number - 2145.

I wish BB would list the lasts on their website. But then again they don't even list that they are made by Alden .....

14. sevenfoldtieguy

I use AE chili edge dressing.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

The AE chili edge dressing applied to Alden's antique edging will make it slightly darker with a hint of red. Level of shine is determined in large part form the way in which one applies said dressing (wiping off excess shortly after application reduces the shine - i recommend this route).

Using the chili dressing produces the look i personally prefer, and I use it on numerous Alden models - whiskey, ravello, cigar, snuff suede.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.