• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're pissin' me off STEVE!! Envious of your rapid-fire acquisitions. Wear in great health my friend!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There seems to be a lot of hate for the Leffot Naval boot going on recently.  I personally love the boot, so much so I'm ordering a pair this weekend.  I think the combo of perforated captoe, all eyelets and colo #8 is great. I think the boot is both masculine and beefy while still being refined and classic.

While I've kept my eye on the J. Crew boot for a while but I really don't like how speed hooks tend to chew up laces.  The only change I'd make to the Leffot boot would be to add a commando or dainit sole - which I may have B. Nelson do. 

The Leffot color 8 makeups with light edging/welt seem hipsterish to me whereas Alden color 8 models with black edging are classic. I prefer the latter myself but there really is no right or wrong.

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden 974s. While I love my CXL longwings with a passion, these are quickly elevating themselves to my favorite office shoe.
Very nice and very classy. Wonderful looking short wing bals El. These shoes are a gentleman's wardrobe essential.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend light edging / welt for color 8 models like balmoral wingtips / captoes, full strap loafers, saddles, grant/plaza boots, etc...

But for models that can be worn more casually (longwings, barrie boots, LHS, even chukkas or PTBs), the antique edging really makes the shoe "pop." It does make the shoe more casual, but they still go credibly with pants like grey wool / flannel, navy, etc.

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UPS just dropped off my Cigar PTB from Alden on Madison. My first pair of PTB...I like them a lot! See Ya, Steve
Great looking PTB's and a wonderful acquisition. Steve, you might have to start your own SF thread to feature all of your new shoes.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't recommend light edging / welt for color 8 models like balmoral wingtips / captoes, full strap loafers, saddles, grant/plaza boots, etc...

But for models that can be worn more casually (longwings, barrie boots, LHS, even chukkas or PTBs), the antique edging really makes the shoe "pop." It does make the shoe more casual, but they still go credibly with pants like grey wool / flannel, navy, etc.

Agreed.

totalair1

Reaction score
Wow, you're really on a roll. Can you remind me: do you take a particularly large or small size? That's the only way I can imagine being able to find all these rare styles.
Papa Doble-I originally started with 14D on Barrie and found them to be too big, but certainly wearable, specially on the Aberdeen last with lace-up. I found that 13D and 13E were a lot more available and it seemed a fair amount of rare colors were left...if you worked on the relationship with the store. I tried a few pair, in particular the 13D in Chukka's on Barrie...those fit very well, and 13E on Aberdeen and those fit too. Therefore I tried some 13D and all have fit. A tad snug in some cases but not uncomfortable, more of a fit like my custom cowboy boots which fit like a glove. I'm doing the Mac Method for break in and all pairs are comfortable.

Bottom line is I did a lot of calling, emailing, and then more follow up to score everything I have so far. What has amazed me is I continue to find new pairs from stores I already asked what do you have...and I will take all of it! I don't have an explanation for it, but needless to say I'm rolling with it. I think I've exhausted all the orphan pairs out there through Alden stores, I'm still emailing a few lever seas resources but most of them don't stock larger sizes. I reminded those Asian sources my favorite pitcher Yu Darvish wears big shoes and so does Yao Ming so they next to get with the times!

If any of you SF members run across size 13-14 please PM me. I missed out on a pair on eBay because I had my searches set only for Alden shoes, and not Alden boots too. Missed a nice pair of Cigar boots!

See Ya,
Steve

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

who you calling a hipster??

I had a hipster call me a yuppie once . 30 yrs as a construction pipefitter that did not roll too well

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aninteresting topic for sure. Lately in the quarter there seems to be a battle brewing between natives and hipsters who are buying up property. I noticed an individual wearing a t shirt the other day which read kill the hipsters. What exactly defines a hipster?

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Urban Dictionary....

Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my favorite part:

Like “douchebag,” “hipster” was a name that no one could apply to oneself. But the opportunity to call someone else a “douchebag”: that offered the would-be hipster a means of self-identification by a name one could say, looking outward. In the douchebag, the hipster had found its Other.

So true. Hipsters never admit to being a hipster, but always accuse others of being one. It's like every single one of them is convinced that they pioneered the sockless and skinny jeans look and was the first person to discover J Crew.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics