• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

There's nothing wrong with sniping and eBay likes it too. I use it all the time, it simply turns in my max bid 5 seconds before auction end and either I get it or I don't. I feel good because I decided in advance what my max bid was. The great thing is I can forget about it and it bids for. As a rule I buy much cheaper, and win far more often. The software I use is senile and they are owned by eBay.

See ya,
Steve

Yeah, it's not going away. I usually don't have the time to watch auctions at the last seconds. I just set my max bid and walk away. I don't know if it makes a difference if I do that with 10 days left or 10 seconds left. I just find it a bummer when I lose at the last second.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

patrick_b must clean his camera lens with reno because every one of his photos looks amazing.
that shine gets a blue ribbon.

Alcibiades, what the hell dude? pace yourself. that looks like 4 or 5 new pairs in the last few days. they all look awesome, I can see why you had to take them all home.

The thing is the only pairs I was really looking for was the BB wingtip and maybe the full straps (I needed some dressy color 8). The Leffot boots and the NSTs were just outstanding models that were available on my size at the store I happeed visited. I went to a Citishoes to investigate a model that I ended up not buying. I'm going to slow down and also sell a few models that get little wear... At this point I know which types of models get the most wear and why so I can focus my buying a bit more. One of the best things about Alden shoes is good resale value.

Last edited:

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A little shell shoe care this evening. The cigar PTB's have yet to see any product, just the brush. The burgundy AE's were in need of some Renovateur. It was fully dark by the time I finished so I had to break out the flash. I shot the flash straight up (with nothing to bounce off) and I was surprised at how well they came out given the late hour. AE Macneil and Leeds are about a year old and the cigar PTB just a couple of weeks old.
What a great shot! The color of those AEs in pretty awesome! It makes me want a pair of Leeds, and I'm not much of an AE guy.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, it's not going away. I usually don't have the time to watch auctions at the last seconds. I just set my max bid and walk away. I don't know if it makes a difference if I do that with 10 days left or 10 seconds left. I just find it a bummer when I lose at the last second.

Worse in my situation: I placed a bid, seller cancels the bid saying the shoes were damaged... a few days later, the exact same shoes show up here on SF with a happy new owner! In addition to snipers, there are also the backdoor transactions that are annoying.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A little shell shoe care this evening. The cigar PTB's have yet to see any product, just the brush. The burgundy AE's were in need of some Renovateur. It was fully dark by the time I finished so I had to break out the flash. I shot the flash straight up (with nothing to bounce off) and I was surprised at how well the image came out given the late hour. AE Macneil and Leeds are about a year old and the cigar PTB just a couple of weeks old.
Always have had difficulty sizing with the AE's 7 last; however, I do like how the shoes age and maybe should rethink a boot in their burgundy shell... My Aldens need domestic friends.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Always have had difficulty sizing with the AE's 7 last; however, I do like how the shoes age and maybe should rethink a boot in their burgundy shell... My Aldens need domestic friends.

AE's 7 last is far from perfect for me. I use a leather insole and they work well. W/o the insole, the Macneil would never have worked. In retrospect, a Barrie LWB would likely fit me better. However, the Leeds #1 last fits like it was made for my foot.

totalair1

Reaction score

I understand your pain...it happens to me too. The question I have to ask myself is:did I bid too low, or did the winner bid too high? I set my max bid and win the majority of the time. What really frustrates me is when I miss out on a buy it now item that I'm looking for, but you can't be on your computer all the time. Those #4 boots went for a high price, and the thing we've got to remember, though it sold for a few $ more than our max bid...we don't know what their max bid was? Until the next rare one comes along, I'm happy to keep hunting and hope I can take home a trophy next time!

See Ya,
Steve

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
whiskey nst
cashmere otc

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photos like Macs are why I took the plunge on the NSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads