1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Coincidence that your posting of this coincides with what looks to be the very start of the auction? [​IMG] [​IMG]

EDIT: Must be coincidence.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. husbands

husbands Senior member

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Perhaps instead of a boot you should consider the 9751/AF75 (black shell LWB on double leather or commando) or the 975/AF110 (color 8 LWB on double leather or commando)? Just a thought .....

4. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Senior member

I am going for boots now and while available. The shoes are always available. Plus, as to shoe LWBs, I am holding out in hopes of finding a NOS pair of Hanovers.

5. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

My intent is to not rain on Mac's parade- in fact his shoes are exquisite.

But I think good lighting can make for a great picture, and he is not using some untold voodoo that make his shoes shine better. We are all capable of making our shoes pop with the right care!

If you'll excuse me, it's time to go brush all my shoes...

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Consider a black captoe boot. Leffot has some odd sizes left in its naval boot, and Alden NY/DC/SF may have some boots available. I recommend them on double leather soles. IMO, the black captoe boot is probably Alden's "sharpest" boot.

7. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

If I only needed a pair of 975's... There is a nice pair on the marketplace right now. 8.5D

1 person likes this.
  8. Don L

Don L Senior member

9. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Looking good.

1 person likes this.
  10. Marw

Marw Active Member

Hi guys, I need some help. I just noticed the sole coming loose on my 403's. I've had problems with my 403's before and got a new pair from Alden i May 2012. I've worn them regularly since them. I take good care of them and use shoe trees, brush them at least 3 times a month!

Here's some pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it just time to swap soles are should I contact Alden?

Cheers guys!

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That should be a definite issue to contact Alden over. The area that you are seeing separating isn't just the sole, it is the welt pulling away from the upper of the shoe. This can only result through inseam failure, which is a very bad thing. Either the welt stitching that attaches the welt to the canvas gemming underneath the insole is failing, or the gemming itself is failing (coming unglued from the bottom of the insole). Gemming failure is best repaired by the factory, if possible, in order to maintain the proper alignment of the rest of the shoe on it's original last when it is being repaired. There are some cobblers (like B. Nelson) who claim to be comfortable with handling some types of issues such as this, but I wouldn't trust it to just anyone.

1 person likes this.
  12. Marw

Marw Active Member

Thanks for the answer! Not what I wanted to hear though:(. It's the same thing that happened last time(got a new pair). I'll send them an email!

13. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

14. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

While it is likely just inseam failure from the stitches (rather than the gemming separating from the insole), it is still something that Alden should be responsible for. The stitches are sealed inside the shoe between the outsole and insole (and surrounded by cork). There isn't much you can do to make those come loose, short of wearing the boots out to the point that they get destroyed by contact with the ground after the sole wears out. Thus, on a newish boot, it should be considered a manufacturing defect.

Either way, the stitches have to be coming loose, because if only the gemming were failing, you probably wouldn't realize it until the boots were sent in for resoling. In other words, it's either the gemming AND the stitches, or it's just the stitches themselves. Not just the gemming alone.

15. Don L

Don L Senior member

16. Marw

Marw Active Member

I just sent them an email, and reffered to the last time it happened and attached a couple of pictures. The last time I had the same problem with my other pair I took them to my local cobbler(he's and Alden dealer and regarded as the best in Norway) he wouldn't do it(it would cost me too much) and said I would be best off sending them to Alden. He said this type of defect should happen, as well!

17. kennyx

kennyx Member

1 person likes this.
  18. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Nice Kenny - those should be sweet, congrats

19. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

20. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Anyone know the cheapest possible place to get the unlined suede chukka? I'm assuming it's just going to be some place with no tax or shipping and it's gonna be ~$480....but I'm holding off some hope you can get a discount with maybe...NRO? or something cool like that..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.