***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jet

jet Persian Bro

^welcome, untrue that jcrew ones are higher quality someone correct me but I don't think that is the case in fact they might be worse qc with them
    They're on the Van last, yes. Kind of narrow but I still got them in 11E (my actual size).
    Loafers are beautiful, on my list someday.

2. robin

robin Senior member

first time SF poster here, i come to you via Alden search for Indy Boot. i believe i am set to get a pair of 405s, i am good with size and the color. until i read in one of the fashion blogs that the JCrew version was better quality? is that so, price is only slightly gigher and i usually attribute that to specailty store markup requirements being higher than most. any info would be helpful,
    When J.Crew first started selling the indy boot, it was a different version from the older 405 model which had another type of leather and a canvas lining. The new indy boots that J.Crew can be ordered through any Alden dealer: http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._workboot.html

separate question when did Alden become so trendy with special/exclusives for the hip market? i personally love them, but am fan from the 80s suit clan.
    Probably just in the past couple of years.

3. Bugsy

Bugsy Well-Known Member

so the JCrew boot is a standard 403? good to know. thanks. there are so many to keep track of now. my favorite is the epaulet two stroke, which they are out of my size until april 2011.

4. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

question for those with boots w/ eyelets only (no speedhooks):

do you need to unlace the top few eyelets to get the boots on? or can you keep the laces all the way in, just untied?

5. makewayhomer

6. slide13

slide13 Senior member

so the JCrew boot is a standard 403? good to know. thanks. there are so many to keep track of now. my favorite is the epaulet two stroke, which they are out of my size until april 2011.

No, the J Crew boot is different, it has a unique heel stitching detail that other Indy boots don't have. Not a big difference, but it is not just a standard 403.

7. joz411no

joz411no Senior member

Nice lookin' boots. If you can grab 'em.

8. joz411no

joz411no Senior member

I only have to loosen the top eyelets for my jump boots and I have a pretty wide foot. Though I don't hate them I don't see the fascination with speed hooks. It's much quicker, for me, to lace 2 eyelets per boot than to try to weave a waxed shoe lace around 8 metal hooks. Just an opinion.

9. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

I only have to loosen the top eyelets for my jump boots and I have a pretty wide foot. Though I don't hate them I don't see the fascination with speed hooks. It's much quicker, for me, to lace 2 eyelets per boot than to try to weave a waxed shoe lace around 8 metal hooks. Just an opinion.

That speedhooks on Alden boots became a default specification (probably because the classic 405 had them) is kind of head-scratching. They're the opposite of practical (practicality being their intended function) and would be considered an annoying trend if they didn't have the history behind them.

I keep hoping one day the speedhook mishap rights itself and the Alden dealers start speccing 90% of their boots with eyelets--with the occasional speedhook boot here and there for those on the other side of the fence. Right now it's the opposite (and all my boots have speedhooks).

10. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

11. makewayhomer

12. GreatHighway

GreatHighway Senior member

^I like those boots, considering I just got a pair very similar to those.

Also the JCrew Indy has a darker stained welt. There is more contrast between the welt and leather on the standard boot. I'll post comparison pics when I'm on a comp.

Loafers are beautiful, on my list someday.

Thank you sir. I was looking for them in whiskey but no luck. Waiting list time.

13. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

My new brown calf wingtip boots on Barrie last with commando sole from Alden of Carmel. Bought these after selling a similar pair of Shoemart seconds on the Leydon last which were too tight in the toes. With 3 pairs of chukkas (Cord #8, Brown suede and tan unlined) and a PTB kudu boot from Leffot, I think I need a pair of cordovan shoes next [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello monks

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello monks

Nice. We need a picture that shows the buckle side too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.