• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^welcome, untrue that jcrew ones are higher quality someone correct me but I don't think that is the case in fact they might be worse qc with them
Originally Posted by GreatHighway
They're on the Van last, yes. Kind of narrow but I still got them in 11E (my actual size).
Loafers are beautiful, on my list someday.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bugsy
first time SF poster here, i come to you via Alden search for Indy Boot. i believe i am set to get a pair of 405s, i am good with size and the color. until i read in one of the fashion blogs that the JCrew version was better quality? is that so, price is only slightly gigher and i usually attribute that to specailty store markup requirements being higher than most. any info would be helpful,
When J.Crew first started selling the indy boot, it was a different version from the older 405 model which had another type of leather and a canvas lining. The new indy boots that J.Crew can be ordered through any Alden dealer: http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._workboot.html

separate question when did Alden become so trendy with special/exclusives for the hip market? i personally love them, but am fan from the 80s suit clan.
Probably just in the past couple of years.

Bugsy

Reaction score
so the JCrew boot is a standard 403? good to know. thanks. there are so many to keep track of now. my favorite is the epaulet two stroke, which they are out of my size until april 2011.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
question for those with boots w/ eyelets only (no speedhooks):

do you need to unlace the top few eyelets to get the boots on? or can you keep the laces all the way in, just untied?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thoughts? opinions?

FD-1128.jpg

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so the JCrew boot is a standard 403? good to know. thanks. there are so many to keep track of now. my favorite is the epaulet two stroke, which they are out of my size until april 2011.

No, the J Crew boot is different, it has a unique heel stitching detail that other Indy boots don't have. Not a big difference, but it is not just a standard 403.

joz411no

Reaction score
I only have to loosen the top eyelets for my jump boots and I have a pretty wide foot. Though I don't hate them I don't see the fascination with speed hooks. It's much quicker, for me, to lace 2 eyelets per boot than to try to weave a waxed shoe lace around 8 metal hooks. Just an opinion.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joz411no
I only have to loosen the top eyelets for my jump boots and I have a pretty wide foot. Though I don't hate them I don't see the fascination with speed hooks. It's much quicker, for me, to lace 2 eyelets per boot than to try to weave a waxed shoe lace around 8 metal hooks. Just an opinion.

That speedhooks on Alden boots became a default specification (probably because the classic 405 had them) is kind of head-scratching. They're the opposite of practical (practicality being their intended function) and would be considered an annoying trend if they didn't have the history behind them.

I keep hoping one day the speedhook mishap rights itself and the Alden dealers start speccing 90% of their boots with eyelets--with the occasional speedhook boot here and there for those on the other side of the fence. Right now it's the opposite (and all my boots have speedhooks).

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interlockingny;3490072 said:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
thoughts? opinions? I like them. 9D?
thanks, they are 9E. trying to figure out how much of a crime that would be...I am usually an 8.5 E or 9D. those boots are Grant last I would wear them a lot in the winter so with thick socks

GreatHighway

Reaction score
^I like those boots, considering I just got a pair very similar to those.

Also the JCrew Indy has a darker stained welt. There is more contrast between the welt and leather on the standard boot. I'll post comparison pics when I'm on a comp.

Originally Posted by jet
Loafers are beautiful, on my list someday.

Thank you sir. I was looking for them in whiskey but no luck. Waiting list time.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new brown calf wingtip boots on Barrie last with commando sole from Alden of Carmel. Bought these after selling a similar pair of Shoemart seconds on the Leydon last which were too tight in the toes. With 3 pairs of chukkas (Cord #8, Brown suede and tan unlined) and a PTB kudu boot from Leffot, I think I need a pair of cordovan shoes next
smile.gif
photofmt.jpg

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
6olwg7.jpg

ravello monks

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaelw
6olwg7.jpg

ravello monks

Nice. We need a picture that shows the buckle side too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads