• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

B. Nelson changed out a pair of Modified perforated cap toes for me and they came out awesome.

I had BNelson put antique edging on a pair of color 8 tassels for me (with JR sole restoration). They did a very nice job. However, I am not a huge color 8 with antique edging fan, and I have since went back to black edging.

dslonghorn4

Reaction score

B. Nelson changed out a pair of Modified perforated cap toes for me and they came out awesome.

Calikid - are the cap toe boots in your profile B.Nelson's work? If so the work looks great. I'm eagerly awaiting a Dainite sole conversion with antique edge/welt on a pair of boots.

docalden2013

Reaction score

I had BNelson put antique edging on a pair of color 8 tassels for me (with JR sole restoration). They did a very nice job. However, I am not a huge color 8 with antique edging fan, and I have since went back to black edging.

Dear 7,
Thanks for stating this interesting opinion. Would you mind talking briefly about your preference for the dark edging? I've been contemplating switching my 975s to antique edging but now realize I should hold off until I hear from an esteemed forum member.
Regards,
D

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA

Whiskey LWB, almost new, just popped up on ebay. 11D.

Not mine. I have literally never sold a thing on ebay.

aldenwear

Reaction score
Dear 7,
Thanks for stating this interesting opinion. Would you mind talking briefly about your preference for the dark edging? I've been contemplating switching my 975s to antique edging but now realize I should hold off until I hear from an esteemed forum member.
Regards,
D
Obviously, you can choose to do what you want, choose to wait, consult, etc. But note that the boots on the previous page that alcibiades got today are color 8 boots with antique edging. So you can now see exactly what the color 8/antiqued edge looks like. You can also see it now with color 8 longwings on the leffot website. The antiquing makes the shoes a little more casual than the same shoe with the dark edging. Good luck.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Antique edging makes color 8 models a bit more casual. I actually need a color 8 model with dark edging (likely the saddles) for suits and such. I think the antique edging works best with boots. It is awesome with longwings as well, but so is the dark edging.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Antique edging makes color 8 models a bit more casual. I actually need a color 8 model with dark edging (likely the saddles) for suits and such. I think the antique edging works best with boots. It is awesome with longwings as well, but so is the dark edging.
exactly what I was after (thanks again for posting about the leffot 8s, although my wallet is not happy right now
rotflmao.gif
)

my jcrew LWB were supposed to have light welt over crepe, but showed up with dark edging (was hoping to have B.Nelson change the sole at some point)

jcrew captoe give me a dark edging should I need it, but I imagine these leffot 8s will get the majority of use. perfect boot imo

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dear 7,
Regards,
D

Sure.

Comes down to personal preference, overall wardrobe and style of dress, and intended uses.

To me, the antique edging makes the shoe considerably more casual. For some that is good; for others, not so much. I am in the latter camp.

My transition from antique edging back to black was easy because I had BNelson leave my welt dark and not change it out for a light welt. I did it myself with black edge dressing.

Good luck.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think both work well for a boot. My two favorite #8 boots are probably the wingtip with antique edge that LS and Epaulet and others have done and the straight captoe on either Grant or Plaza with dark edge trim and commando sole. Two different looks but equally great to me.

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The shoe on top, the only one that appears to be tan sueded instead of snuff suede: can you provide more pictures so that we can see what it is? Thanks in advance.

The top one is a tan suede ranger moc on van last. Great summer shoe all around.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents: Unipair Guy has been on the Alden thread lately. I worked with him a few months ago to acquire a pair of EG Dovers. The experience was exceptionally pleasant. Unipair has some Alden models no one else has (ex. Whiskey captoe blucher).

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those came out nice.

FWIW, AE's chili edge dressing would serve you well in the future. I use it on essentially all of my shoes and boots with antique edging.

sftg,
Thanks for the info. I'll have to pick up the travel size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads