• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I scuffed up the edge trim on one of my cigar PTB's this week. I've no idea how it occurred. I didn't want to use a dark brown edge trim as I wanted to keep the visible layers of the stacked leather sole. I only have brown & black edge trim, both AE branded. To add color to the scuff, I touched it up with AE's Walnut cream polish ("Premium Shoe Polish" in the tube). For reference, AE's walnut shoes are a light to medium brown. I then applied a thin layer/small amount of AE's brown carnauba wax polish to the entire edge trim. IMO it came out well. Before & After pics below. In the before images, I bumped up the exposure & sharpening to make the damage more easily visible. Before: After:
Those came out nice. FWIW, AE's chili edge dressing would serve you well in the future. I use it on essentially all of my shoes and boots with antique edging.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking to add a black shell shoe to my collection. I generally wear dress pants and cotton shirts to work and would like a shoe that serves me well with his attire as well as doubles up well with casual pants and jeans.
I am considering either the black shell PTB or the LWB for my purchase. I would be grateful if friends on the forum could weigh in with their suggestions for me. Thank you all!

I have and wear both styles. Each is a good choice. Comes down to personal preference.

IMO, the PTB is probably easier to wear casually.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Those are beautiful RTP. They look like they're brand new.
Thank you my friend! The pic of the PTB is from when they were brand new; they now have some nice character with a little creasing. The LWB has some wear and some minor creasing also. With about ten bluchers in the rotation, they all tend to remain looking fairly new. I also baby them a little bit also.
Thanks RTP!
I agree the LWB adds tremendous character to an attire. Your PTBs look sleeker than any PTB I've seen before, are you a C width?
Both shoes are timeless I must add.
Thank you my friend for the kind words! No, I'm 10D. The PTB is a little narrower than the LWB. Additionally, if you're looking for a sleeker looking PTB, I would go with the Alden for BB PTB, if you don't mind the eyelets. With a sleeker last and no 360' storm welt, it looks much dressier. I probably would have gone with it, but I found the 990 and 9901 with significant discounts (about $490 each shipping included and no tax). Best of luck...

n-domino

Reaction score
Does anyone know when/if LeatherSoul will do a reorder of the chromexcel plaza wingtip boot?

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking to add a black shell shoe to my collection. I generally wear dress pants and cotton shirts to work and would like a shoe that serves me well with his attire as well as doubles up well with casual pants and jeans.
I am considering either the black shell PTB or the LWB for my purchase. I would be grateful if friends on the forum could weigh in with their suggestions for me. Thank you all!

Another vote for the LWB.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Family photos, one week late

High boots

Clockwise from top left
Cowhide Indy Boot on Commando from Leffot
Cigar Indy from Alden NYC
Whiskey Indy from Alden DC
Color 8 captoe boot on antique leather sole from Leffot (brand new, got these today)
Color 8 tanker on commando sole from Leffot
Cigar straight tip captoe on commando sole from Alden DC

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers, clockwise from top left

Black cordovan dress loafer, grant last, Alden NYC
Cigar LHS, Shoe Mart
Snuff LHS, Leffot
Ravello Tassels, Leffot

TactileOne

Reaction score
Were the Tankers available in shell other than #8? Love split toes.

Just sent my Whiskey LHS I purchased on ebay to Alden to be recrafted, took pics so will have before and after.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chukkas, clockwise from top left

Whiskey from Alden NYC
Cigar from Alden NYC
Brown Chromexcel from Leather Soul
Navy Suede from Tassels
Snuff Suede from Alden NYC

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Family photos, one week late

High boots

Clockwise from top left
Cowhide Indy Boot on Commando from Leffot
Cigar Indy from Alden NYC
Whiskey Indy from Alden DC
Color 8 captoe boot on antique leather sole from Leffot (brand new, got these today)
Color 8 tanker on commando sole from Leffot
Cigar straight tip captoe on commando sole from Alden DC

Nice collection, especially the whiskey boot. Wish I could figure out how to post pics without the need for cloud,URL. If u sell its just a simple upload button ... Search your device and upload. I must be marsupialed... New pad

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longwings, clockwise from top left (sorry for old photo)

Ravello from Alden SF
Color 8 on antique sole from Leffot
Cigar from Alden of Carmel (correction from the prior Alden of DC attribution)
Brown CXL from Leffot
Natural CXL from Leffot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads