Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

Originally Posted by englade321 View Post

The stiffness of new leather soles can cause rapid wear on the tip of the sole . Wearing them on a non-abrasive surface until flexible can prevent or reduce this .That is what the carpet thing is about.
    The pencil crease is really a matter of preference I personally prefer the look of natural random creasing but I dont feel there is anything "wrong " with it .
    I dont think you are overthinking this at all. New shell cordovan shoes are an expensive investment and these are pretty basic questions .

Question:

Do I have to break in a flex welt LHS suede on the carpet for three days? Will that ease toe wear on sole? I usually install plastic tap...

Thanks.

Last edited: May 29, 2013

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

3. Johnniegold

Johnniegold Well-Known Member

I would send a copy of those pics with a letter to Mickey Drexler and let him know that J. Crew tried to sell you used shoes as "new".

Hey, you never know.

4. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

For those of you that have done per-orders through Leffot, has the 12 to 16 week order to delivery time been realistic?

5. Burton

Burton Senior member

Do they fit? One outdoor trip and you will not remember the creases and slight darkening of the soles. If you waited a year, then I would keep them. There are shoes on my list I would gladly take in such condition.

6. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

I would be irritated or sure, and would ask for a discount. If you have been waiting for a year though i would probably keep them. They would be creased like that after about an hour or two of wear anyway.

7. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

That is indeed unfortunate. I have received Aldens in similar condition, and the retailer was totally unapologetic, but offered to take them back. I ended up keeping them because I wouldn't have been able to find a replacement pair. It still kind of bothers me every time I look at them, because they came with more creasing than I would have caused. My shoes don't crease very much.

This is exactly why TSM instituted their new policy. (As if it wasn't already obvious before me saying so)

A new pristine pair would probably look pretty similar to that once you broke them in anyway. Others have already offered good suggestions, just a decisions you'll have to make. (Keep em, return them, ask for discount).

J Crew will probably have no problem finding someone else that is willing to accept them, which in a way perpetuates this problem.

Sorry it happened. I know how you feel.

Edit: Kind of inconsiderate to return a pair of shoes that you have put that much wear on. In my experience, you can tell whether or not they fit well before they get to that point. At the same time, I was already aware that this world does contain a few inconsiderate people.

8. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

those creases will happen after a couple wears. I'd try and negotiate a discount as they are clearly used and imo should not be sold as first rate goods.

9. Burton

Burton Senior member

For those of you that have done per-orders through Leffot, has the 12 to 16 week order to delivery time been realistic?

Steven is great at getting his makeups. When I purchased in the past, he has come within a few weeks each time. That said, I pre-ordered a shoe with TSM yesterday and I was told 5 months. :(

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

This one is easy for me. Take them back if you can get a replacement pair. If not, then keep them.

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, thank you they do not fit like a barrie last, could possible be plaza last

12. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Dear sir, I understand your anguish and disappointment about receiving a less than perfect pair of J Crew #8 captoe boots. First things first, stop hemming and hawing and return those shoes to the nearest J Crew store and get your money back.Their return policy is quick and easy, take advantage of it. Second, if you must have these shoes be absolutely sure about the size. When I had to return my first pair of these boots I established a personal relationship with a customer service representative. I explained that I required a pristine pair in a specific size, and nothing less would be acceptable. My persistence and patience was all that was needed. This was only my experience. Please don't hesitate to consider the advise of Alcibiades. His recommendation as to alternative options for a #8 boot should be investigated, not just for the shoes, but to help familiarise you with the game of hunting for shell cordovan. I'm sure you'll find a great pair of boots.

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

welcome to the forum the shoes were likely tried on in the store. no marks on the soles. ask for you discount? even without discount i would keep the cap toe boots

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    i would use break in method on the flex welt lhs suede. i did it on my horse bit loafers. wear the suede loafers in good health

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.