***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I received this recently from them even on a pair of Indy's in CXL I was trying. I certainly can understand it on their end though. Its hard to really fault them for this. They already have the best shipping poilicy and the largest selection of inventory around. I know on more than one occassion I ordered shoes from them that I did not intend to keep simply so I would know my correct sizing.

2. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

maybe it was a ploy to get more people interested in their #8 and black offerings.......[​IMG]

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Just to be clear, for the record, I do not fault them for this.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  4. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

what size did you get? hopefully not the ones I returned

5. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

A very unique and complimentary makeup Uncle. Quite nice in fact.

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

In my few years of following Alden, "base models" in rare cordovan like PTBs, longwings, and chukkas seem to show up pretty regularly at many of the Alden retailers, at least once a year. As long as I have known them the guys at Alden NYC have complained about cordovan shortages... What does seem to be impacted are the more custom orders for boots and such in rare colors.

7. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

We can only hope that's partially true. The Alden DC guys told me that Alden is moving away from special colors due to difficulty in doing them. I would imagine that it's a big problem for Alden if Horween can't deliver shell, specially in rare colors. i see this is a real problem for Alden or any other manufacturer. You take orders, but can't deliver. Retailers want to wait for the special colors and have in many cases pre-sold orders, and collected payment. I keep hearing about 2 year and more waits from forum members, and still no firm delivery timeframe. I think it's FUBAR and I hope it gets better, but I'm not counting on it. A prime example is both known places getting Ravello this fall are getting 1 pair of 13D at 1 location. The other 1 pair of 12.5D and no 13. Both places say very few pair. They both told me of all kinds other non shell makes ups, and a few in #8 and black.

I feel it's possible for rare colors to come back, but I see it as a long wait, at least 12 months or more. Unless you are already in line for something, and then as already said many have waited over 2 years.

That's why i've spent a ton of dough scooping up anything I can find in my size in Cigar, Ravello, or Whiskey. I've done well on Cigar, and Whiskey, no Ravello though.

In the mean time, good luck and good hunting!

See Ya,
    Steve

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

9. sevenfoldtieguy

But take comfort in this: Color 8 is still the King. :slayer:

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    +1 #8 is the shell king

11. Don L

Don L Senior member

Indeed it is, all hail #8 [​IMG]

12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I got that card with my whiskey LHS last week.
    I could have sworn they've had that policy for a while though.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

They didn't have it in mid-Feb 2013. Not sure when it was implemented after that ......

Hope the Whiskey LHS worked for you. It is my favorite LHS.

14. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

I agree...but I can't appreciate #8 if I don't have Cigar, Ravello, and Whiskey sitting next to it so I can compare!

See Ya,
    Steve

15. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

A couple other people have mentioned this here before, but I still think it's weird that other makers are churning out smaller batches of rare cordovan colors on a regular basis. Carmina has been doing this with Epaulet for over a year now with no issues, and with prices that aren't much higher than Alden is charging. I'm starting to wonder if I could get my money back from all my Alden pre-orders, get something from another maker, and have it produced and shipped to me before any of the Alden pre-orders are actually finished.

The fact that the possibility of a 4-6 month wait for Ravello sounds almost too good to be true is kind of ridiculous, considering group MTO's from Carmina rarely take that long from start to finish.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.