1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nosrep123

nosrep123 Well-Known Member

Should someone with high instep still size down 1/2 a size on the barrie last?

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Great boots. I used to own the Unionmade version on the Barrie. I sold them. My foot and the Barrie last are most times not in agreement.

3. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

you seem to know quite a bit about Alden or maybe are better at research than I . . . . Gilbert has a pair in #8 and says it can be changed to black.
    I'm under the impression Shell doesn't like dyes all that much and will blister fairly easily. Any ideas or info ?

4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

With Barrie, the reason people tend to size down is most often due to the excessive volume of the heel (wide heel). Haven't heard instep discussed much, so you'll probably just have to try and find out. I have a high instep, but need to size down half a size and 1 width for barrie, because of the heel. Instep has never really been a problem when sizing for shoes, because the laces automatically adjust when you tie the shoe, if you know what I mean. On loafers, some people find that their high instep prohibits them from fitting in to certain models regardless of size.

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Are you sure they didn't say you could change a preorder to black (meaning the shoe hasn't been made yet)? I don't think they were saying they could change an actual show in stock to black.

Regardless I recommend split toe boots... In black or color 8, on Barrie or plaza or Aberdeen, on commando or leather soles, all are great models

6. nosrep123

nosrep123 Well-Known Member

Hmm that's a very good point. I often size down a bit for balmorals because the vamp doesn't have as much room to move, but I guess with boots it's not as big of an issue, since it's blucher style lacing. Do you know how the width of barrie last compares to the width in Clark's desert boots? I wear true to size in the desert boots even though most people seem to size down.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  7. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Those are some absolutely beautiful boots. I would hope having/wearing those would help ease the NST Boot pain from yesterday... Hope that you all had a good Sunday!

-Mike

8. thams

thams Senior member

[​IMG]

A fine day for a stroll in some King boots.

2 people like this.
  9. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Unionmade LWBs on maiden voyage in "winterish" LA (With and without flash).

Mike

.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

I am told that very recently, j Gilbert is deciding if there is sufficient interest for ordering black shell boots in on plaza last with nst front and black shell with plain toe boot, both with commando soles.

As for shell not liking dye and blistering, I can't speak to that in anything but an anecdotal way. My anecdotal thoughts are that most, if not all, shell shoes are died and tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of died pairs of shell shoes have been sold for decades by many manufacturers, and the market continues to seek out these shoes. It does not seem like blistering is a problem about which to be concerned.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  11. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

nope . . . . i'm absolutely positive. owning a pair of Carmina shell, I had a hard time believing it but they
    emphasized the color could be changed by using darker dye at least twice.
    Yes, I can wait + / - a year but they supposedly don't order ANY boot built on the Aberdeen last and
    routinely order commando sole on those boots almost exclusively.

12. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

you may be right about recoloring. I only have one shell by carmina and it absolutely does not like water AT ALL.
    blisters like the dickens and needs 'deer boning' to smooth back out. that particular color is light cognac though so
    that could be telling in itself.

13. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

goose, I feel the same way. I started late as well, oh the time and money I spent on designer Italian calf.....

thank you. which boots did you order? from where? I also hope future ravello returns to a lighter brown.

thank you sir.

thanks sazon.

thanks sftg. I also prefer the non barrie lasted boots.

mike, yes they did help ease the pain. I walked a little taller at church today wearing the day trippers, I felt good. thank you.

14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

you and me both.. seeing my daytrippers sitting next to 'this years' ravello PTB and LWB makes me kinda bleh.. would drop both pair immediately for 'older' ravello

[​IMG]

15. prez

prez Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black cordovan NST on Aberdeen with Incotex trousers & Bresciani socks

3 people like this.
  16. unipair guy

unipair guy Senior member

That is a perfect combination of shoes, socks, and pants. :slayer:

17. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Maiden Voyage. Ravello LWB from Alden DC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Mike

3 people like this.
  18. BWV988

BWV988 Senior member

Wonderful. A great addition to your already-fantastic collection.

19. thams

thams Senior member

These are truly beautiful shoes. Enjoy your stay in DC.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  20. thams

thams Senior member

I'm on the Day Tripper pre-order from Leffot. I would be thrilled if my boots looked like yours when delivered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.