1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

prez, can't touch that! A very impressive combo.

2. BeSpiffington

Wonderful looking cigar Indy's Uncle. Thank you for posting them.

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Yes, they are Goodyear-welted. Shoes that have soles which can't really be stitched generally have a thin leather midsole stitched to the welt, and the final outsole is cemented on to the stitched midsole. So, you have a sort of hybrid shoe, if you will.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

No, the Cape Cod horse bit loafer is not Goodyear-welted. They have made a horse bit loafer that is Goodyear-welted though. The Cape Cod version is constructed in the traditional loafer fashion (moccasin construction). The soles are still stitched on, but they go through the uppers in a similar way that Blake stitching does. The upper is formed from a sort of "bag" of leather, and is closed around the apron on the toe and vamp. The sole is then stitched directly though the bottom side of the upper. It's a perfectly respectable construction for this type of shoe. Traditional penny loafers, like beefroll pennies are made this way. Many of Rancourt's products are made this way, as well as Allen Edmonds Kenwood, etc., etc. Shoes made with this construction method are still resole-able.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  5. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

beautiful colors

6. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

Cigar plain toe boot.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Those are super slick. Wear in good health. :slayer:

8. thams

thams Senior member

^ I've searched high and low for this boot. I contacted Moulded Shoe on the off chance there will be a future run. Waiting to hear back, but I already know the answer...

9. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

^Frustrating right? It's like jeez why won't you people take my money?!

10. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

Well if it makes you guys feel any better I had to order these from Frans Boone in the Netherlands and had to pay a fortune for them in doing so.

11. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

^It does not! But hope you're enjoying them!!

12. BeSpiffington

Very Cool!

13. Don L

Don L Senior member

Black Calf NST's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. Dpalaghiuc

Dpalaghiuc Active Member

Cigar Pitt boots while tearing out carpet/drywall.

[​IMG]

15. onehotchili

onehotchili Senior member

Ha! I wish I had my Indy's on the other night going to a Christmas party. It just started spitting when I left my house, but 4 hours later there was 10+" in the ground. I was wearing my JGilbert Color #8 medallion toe shoes, slipping around around as I was shoveling my car out for the drive home. But all was good as I toweled the shoes off, let them dry over night, treed them the next day and brushed them later on.

In higher elevations we got 36+" and it skied great for my first couple days of the year this weekend. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on some new skis so my Alden budget is on hold for the next couple months. But it is good that winter is back ON in Tahoe! :slayer:

16. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Nice cigar plain toe boots, gentlemen

A question for those who own or have owned unlined cordovan PTBs... Don't they feel a lot less "solid" on your feet than traditional PTBs or other Alden lined cordovan shoes? My 990s feel a lot more substantial and solid on my feet than my unlined black PTBs. I like the unlined/flex welt feel on more models like suede dovers and chukkas but I'm not sure how much I like the unlined feel as we go through winter.

17. thams

thams Senior member

I do know what you mean with the unlined being less "solid" than lined shoes. However, I don't think this is necessarily a problem unless you expect the shoes to pull heavy winter duty (although I still believe they would perform admirably). I think the shoes were designed to have an airy feel, so I'm ok with how they feel on my feet. Maybe it depends on your expectations of how the shoe should perform. I'm happy with them because I have other shells to hit the winter streets. If my shell Dovers were my only shoe, then I might be wishing for something a bit more well rounded.

18. thams

thams Senior member

Cigar Pitts are downright awesome. The eventual patina of these boots will trump almost any other model I can think of.

19. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Thanks! Will use the stiff brush on my shell exclusively. Good tip on the fingernail brush. [​IMG]

Incoming. Pix of the new dovers...

20. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Unlined cxl dover unboxing: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] love this stitching: [​IMG] you can actually see the stitching on the wheeled edge! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.