1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Distinguished Member

I'm feeling a little irritated. I've been tracking my Indy boot order and it was supposed to be delivered today, sadly, no boots. The post office sucks

2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I prefer the short wings over long wings as well... I also much prefer balmorals over butchers.

3. mdubs

I would not feel bad about asking for a discount, they do have the option of saying no. If they do promise it, then they should follow through on it. I thought that they looked reasonable, but that is just me. My brand new RL Marlows have several small scratches on them. Bummer about the box, but I don't think that the used shoe buyer is going to care a ton if its a J Crew box vice an Alden box. I personally care more about the shape of the shoes than if it has the box. Cheers, Mike

4. mdubs

Mr. DV, those are absolutely gorgeous! What sole do they have? I have been long appreciating the Indy and have been considering the Cigar ones that TSM has listed, but I think you just shifted my focus to this Ravello Plaza Indy. I might have to try and get on someone's list for these. What do people think about speed hooks, I have like the concept of their convenience, but heard that they can break!

5. mdubs

Very nice! This thread, particularly Uncle Mac, is making me consider some argyles as well...

6. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Distinguished Member

As others have inferred, this has not been my experience at all. I've received much worse from retailers that are much more closely affiliated with Alden than J Crew.

Too bad about the box, I sort of have a nice collection going so understand your disappointment, but you should ask yourself if you were buying a pair of shoes or a green box in the first place. Any Aldens you buy from BB won't come with the green box either, but that doesn't stop me from buying them.

I am always very respectful when trying on shoes that I have not yet made my own so that I don't defile a pair of $700 shoes for the next guy. Unfortunately, not everyone is so considerate.

7. mdubs

Beautiful pair of WT boots. In great shape!

8. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Distinguished Member

Marcoliani merino wool over-the-calf argyle socks are the bomb schizznittyist. You can always go cashmere and silk if you got it like that.

9. meso

meso Distinguished Member

So glad I don't work in retail.

10. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

Ive never had one break(tear out) but they are sketchy IMO .All in all given a choice I take eyelets

11. shaunw

shaunw Senior Member

The ravello plaza indy is going to be a tuff boot to get. It has only been offered by one retailer (in netherlands) and i believe they are out of stock. If they have a reorder planned I'd guess delivery is a year(s) out.

Another US retailer told me they had a 2-4 year wait for a restock of ravello plain toe blucher.
    It could all be hype, who knows.

12. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Distinguished Member

Has any retailer ever made a CXL Indy with all eyelets instead of speedhooks?

13. Gcbrown3

Gcbrown3 Well-Known Member

How do you set up your style forum account so that your "for sale" items are listed below your posts?

14. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior Member

Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

I picked up these color 8 SWB's from Alden of Carmel. I was hung up on the commando soles for a very long time, but finally broke down and pulled the trigger. Wish I had done so sooner! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I like that they do not have the storm welt. It looks sleeker and more dressy than the LWB. Even with commando soles (difficult to notice them w/o looking for them) I can pair these with dressier options.

I really like these and debated a lot before I purchased the 974. The Commando sole would have been better for my purposes, but can't say I'm unhappy with the Tremont. Enjoy them! I may break down in the Fall and get those too! FWIT, I prefer short wings over the long wing...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2013

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.