• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling a little irritated. I've been tracking my Indy boot order and it was supposed to be delivered today, sadly, no boots. The post office sucks

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some help with the following situation, which I'm tentatively considering calling the case of "bad karma related to asking JCrew for a discount." As you may have seen in an earlier post, I asked a JCrew sales associate outright to match a 25% discount I had been given earlier this winter when I bought my first 2 pairs of Aldens. The associate gave me a 20% discount. Well, the Cadet Cordovan bluchers I ordered arrived today and, I'm sad to say, I was left a bit disappointed by the following issues: 1. The "discount" of 20% I was to have been given has yet to be applied. The sales associate claims it should show up on my Amex within the next couple of days. We shall see. I'm less worried about this issue; I know refunds sometimes take a little while to appear. 2. I realize this second issue may be more about my obsessiveness. However, Jcrew did not give me the green Alden box we're all excited to see when the UPS or FedEx delivery person arrives. Instead, I got this JCrew box I got on the phone and talked with a JCrew associate from the 800 number. She claims that Aldens x JCrew are not shipping with the green box. I reminded her that I ordered JCrew aldens just several months ago and got, not one, but two green boxes. She said she'd check in with a supervisor. Somewhat rudely, she returned and noted that there was no information they could provide about whether the green box could be sent separately to me (I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have the green box if I ever want to turn around and sell the shoes on the bay or SF someday). Despite my extensive order history, I apparently did not warrant any further effort to procure something as simple as a box. Should I let this go? Have others ordering thru JC encountered similar? 3. Most important issue: the shoes, while not creased, had some scuffing, albeit perhaps minor. I suppose it's something a little Mac method could take care of, but still, my thought is: every other Alden retailer seems to be able to provide shoes that look unworn and pristine out of the box. Why can't JCrew? So, based on the following pics, should I ask for an exchange? (sorry in advance for the crappy pics. I'm at the office all day today and have no dslr nearby) I guess one could argue the karma I created by asking for the discount has come full circle. One could also argue that I'm just being overly picky and that the scuffs pictured above might well happen from my own normal wear over time. However, should I seek to get better from a company I've supported very thoroughly over the last number of years? Please help me put it in proper perspective. And sorry for the long post...
I would not feel bad about asking for a discount, they do have the option of saying no. If they do promise it, then they should follow through on it. I thought that they looked reasonable, but that is just me. My brand new RL Marlows have several small scratches on them. Bummer about the box, but I don't think that the used shoe buyer is going to care a ton if its a J Crew box vice an Alden box. I personally care more about the shape of the shoes than if it has the box. Cheers, Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
ravello boot on the plaza
Mr. DV, those are absolutely gorgeous! What sole do they have? I have been long appreciating the Indy and have been considering the Cigar ones that TSM has listed, but I think you just shifted my focus to this Ravello Plaza Indy. I might have to try and get on someone's list for these. What do people think about speed hooks, I have like the concept of their convenience, but heard that they can break!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Probably more related to this thread than to Alden itself, but I just got my first argyle socks
tounge.gif
Very nice! This thread, particularly Uncle Mac, is making me consider some argyles as well...

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
every other Alden retailer seems to be able to provide shoes that look unworn and pristine out of the box.

As others have inferred, this has not been my experience at all. I've received much worse from retailers that are much more closely affiliated with Alden than J Crew.

Too bad about the box, I sort of have a nice collection going so understand your disappointment, but you should ask yourself if you were buying a pair of shoes or a green box in the first place. Any Aldens you buy from BB won't come with the green box either, but that doesn't stop me from buying them.

I am always very respectful when trying on shoes that I have not yet made my own so that I don't defile a pair of $700 shoes for the next guy. Unfortunately, not everyone is so considerate.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice! This thread, particularly Uncle Mac, is making me consider some argyles as well...
Marcoliani merino wool over-the-calf argyle socks are the bomb schizznittyist. You can always go cashmere and silk if you got it like that.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mr. DV, those are absolutely gorgeous! What sole do they have? I have been long appreciating the Indy and have been considering the Cigar ones that TSM has listed, but I think you just shifted my focus to this Ravello Plaza Indy. I might have to try and get on someone's list for these.

What do people think about speed hooks, I have like the concept of their convenience, but heard that they can break!

Ive never had one break(tear out) but they are sketchy IMO .All in all given a choice I take eyelets

shaunw

Reaction score

Mr. DV, those are absolutely gorgeous! What sole do they have? I have been long appreciating the Indy and have been considering the Cigar ones that TSM has listed, but I think you just shifted my focus to this Ravello Plaza Indy. I might have to try and get on someone's list for these.

What do people think about speed hooks, I have like the concept of their convenience, but heard that they can break!

The ravello plaza indy is going to be a tuff boot to get. It has only been offered by one retailer (in netherlands) and i believe they are out of stock. If they have a reorder planned I'd guess delivery is a year(s) out.

Another US retailer told me they had a 2-4 year wait for a restock of ravello plain toe blucher.
It could all be hype, who knows.

Gcbrown3

Reaction score
How do you set up your style forum account so that your "for sale" items are listed below your posts?

Profligate47

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

I picked up these color 8 SWB's from Alden of Carmel. I was hung up on the commando soles for a very long time, but finally broke down and pulled the trigger. Wish I had done so sooner! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I like that they do not have the storm welt. It looks sleeker and more dressy than the LWB. Even with commando soles (difficult to notice them w/o looking for them) I can pair these with dressier options.
Excellent choice! This is a great all-weather travel shoe as well!

I really like these and debated a lot before I purchased the 974. The Commando sole would have been better for my purposes, but can't say I'm unhappy with the Tremont. Enjoy them! I may break down in the Fall and get those too! FWIT, I prefer short wings over the long wing...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics