1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

Your only hope of someone having a pair of Alden's to try on would be in Winter Park. John Craig used to carry them as well as Down East (both in Winter Park) however Alden no longer lists them as an authorized retailer. It'll be hard to find Alden's down here. Florida is the land of square-toe'd bicycle toe crappy mens shoes.

2. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

Commencing Mac break-in method on today's arrival: color 8 Dover unlined PTB from Leffot. Comfiest shell shoes out of the box given the flex soles and the unlined nature of the shoe. Most of my shells upon arrival felt stiff and some have even felt uncomfortable until break-in. These PTBs feel like they could be worn for miles and miles. Went with the 8.5Es instead of defaulting to my usual 8.5D barrie size. Fit is a bit roomy, but with no heel slippage even without tying them as tightly as possible. Arguably room for an insole.

I'm convinced the only ways I can achieve a Mac-like shine are either taking pics just out of the box or photoshop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hereby retract any statements I've made on this thread about PTBs being too simplistic and unexciting.

Will try to post comparison pics of the Dover unlineds vs my cigar ptb when I have a chance.

Happy Friday, gents!

3 people like this.
  3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

You are forgiven. But please don't let it happen again. :D Nice shoes.

4. docalden2013

Seven, my inner-child-who-went-through-thirteen-years-of-catholic-school thanks you. While we're on the topic of plain toes, I'm now aware that we don't see that many pics of plain toed ankle height boots (not including chukkas). I recently dropped the ball on making a play for a pair of cigar plain toed boots being sold by one of our brethren and am beginning to wonder if I will feel the sting of regret even more acutely. Anything to distract myself from the longing for a rare-colored shell wingtip boot, I guess.

5. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Well-Known Member

Yes, those appear to be the captoe #8s on the Grant last. Usually the general sizing advice here helps, but as I personally own the Grant boot in cigar, I will tell you that of all of the lasts, nothing is more personal than the Grant. Most folks will tell you to order a half size up from your Barrie, but after trying on every size and width iteration at Alden DC, I went with a full size up from my Barrie size.

As for where to find them, I saw them at The Shoe Mart less than two weeks ago.

6. fitchottie

fitchottie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

First time out with jcrew cap-toe natty commando sole

1 person likes this.
  7. luc13

luc13 Well-Known Member

What a Day....

Most of you know the closeness between great Things and the Hell on Earth.

First of all i have 2 daughters with my wife and to Day We was by the doc because my wife is pregnent again. Not One, no We will getting twins! One Girl and a Boy . Great News.

After this i took my Naval Boots in #8 for bringing it back to the store because 7! Speedhoocks ripped of in 7 Weeks. So my Hope was a repair or a trade. But it is so dificult to finde Alden Cordovan Boots (especialy in my size 12.5 Barrie Last 13 Rest) in Germany/Europe.
    So there was no trading posibility because the size was of. And no repair of Nonsens reasons.

So i get my mony back but now i have One 1!!! Pair of Shell Alden Boots and this is a verry Bad Situation.

So it is hard to be sad with the First News, but i have in minde that the King Color is gone.

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

9. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

You might check to see if The Shoe Mart has your expected size in stock. (I'm a little surprised that it has not been suggested yet)[​IMG]

Also, What is the difference between the Unlined Dover PTB and the 990? Does anyone know where I can get the Unlined Dover PTB? Also, if anyone has any pics of some brand new Unlined Dover PTBs with antique edge trim, I would sure appreciate you sharing them.

(I'm curious how they would look with Selvedged denim with rolled cuffs and striped socks, ideally I'd like to see a shot of this ensemble from a POV legs crossed perspective)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  10. lagsun

lagsun Well-Known Member

Alden of DC sells the commando sole version.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

One of my favorite boot models is my color 8 plaintoe high boot from JGilbert on the Plaza, commando soles. I have mentioned on this thread before that the said plaintoe model, IMO, is perhaps the single best Alden boot for showing off the qualities of shell cordovan. Now if only I could find that exact boot in cigar or ravello ..................

12. docalden2013

Bakes!! Why I oughtta...;)

13. docalden2013

Oo, very nice. I'm on the fence between these and DonL's natty cxl wingtip boots. I almost pulled the trigger this week, but went ptb instead after thinking there might not be a need for a natty cxl boot (which I'd want to patina quickly toward a darker brown) if I'm getting the AofC brown cxl wt boot in April. Do I need a natty boot? Convince me, Verbal.

14. fitchottie

fitchottie Well-Known Member

I have brown Indys and the natty is a different beast all together. I think natural is the best of everything each pair becomes a different color as it ages. Brown does not but I love brown.

15. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

excellent looking.

great looking short wings.

nice looking shell boots.

perfect

thats an exciting pair of shoes. congrats

16. ILoveSportCoats

ILoveSportCoats Active Member

Hey SV,

I came home and took some pics of the exterior sole of the Alden:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turns out the gap in our shoes is almost identical. Maybe they are from the same cobbler? Or maybe they are from a new intern?

Is this quality control passable?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  17. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

If they have another in your size, just exchange if it bothers you. A dovetail with nails...it's not going anywhere. No one will ever notice the slight gap (black liquid nails would hide if cleanly applied & worn). The few I've had like this were never considered "seconds".

18. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

Wear the shooz ... Jeez

19. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

+1,000,000 :cheers:

20. docalden2013

Just when I thought I was out, Alden pulls me back in...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.