***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

#8 ptb
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  2. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

PSA: Adam at Alden of Carmel has one last pair of whiskey shell longwings in 8E. Can't say enough good things about his responsiveness. He is exchanging emails with me long after normal business hours, replying within minutes, if not seconds.

Between AofC and Citishoes, it's good to be 8e.

If anyone can point me to a ravello longwing in 8.5d or 8e, please let me know ASAP. Thanks in advance!

Btw, thanks for all the posts on shell stretching. Very informative.

3. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

Awesome catch. Very jealous!

See Ya,
    Steve

4. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

Awesome catch. Very jealous!

See Ya,
    Steve

5. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

My fault I checked my email, it was a ravello lwb.

I know he had (aoc) an 8 d if you could have that stretched.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  6. 45bur

45bur Senior member

Alright, I know that sizing questions have been beat to death in this thread, but bear with me. I wear a 7.5D indy boot and it fits perfectly. My foot fills out the toebox in length and width ideally. Now, if i were to order a Barrie-lasted shoe, would it be best to go 7.5E or 8D? As i understand it, the Barrie last is slightly less wide than trubalance, and I am concerned that the reduced width will not accomodate my feet. Thanks for helping guys.

7. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

^damn, why didn't I try on an 8d when I was in an Alden store recently?!

I'm eager to look into this but feel like the Alden gods are telling me to be patient. I don't want to place too much hope in the shell stretch idea and don't want to deal with the tight return policy (nor do I want to be a difficult customer for Adam to deal with)

To the earlier poster who snagged the ravellos, I'm sorry I was so caught up in rare shell feet that I forgot to congratulate you on your amazing find. Wear in great health your unicorns!!

8. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I would go with your Trubalance size or a half width up, if the Trubalance fits snug without much room. The other issue is, will you wear the same kind of socks for both? It's likely you will not as few wear dress socks (thin) with the Indy. If you're picking up a barrie in a LWB, PTB, etc... you'll likely wear thin dress socks.

If all this is correct, I would stay with the same size, especially if you are looking to go with a LWB, which tends to be a little wider than other barrie-lasted shoes.

Hope this proves to be helpful. Good luck my friend!

9. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

While I notice a diff in width between the trubalance and the barrie I dont think it equals a width change @ 3/16" You will just have to decide if the trubalance is on the snug side of a good fit or if you got a little room to play with .If the latter stay the same if the former bump up a width . Hope that helps/makes sense

10. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Or what RTP said^^^

11. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I consider them the same and wear the same in each because even though Trubalance is slightly wider than Barrie, Trubalance typically tends to be the Indy boot and with boots you tend not to wear dress socks, but rather a thicker sock. So, it works out well in practice.

12. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

As my handle might suggest , I work with my hands for a living but also have a love for classic men's style. Hence the love for Alden. I also like to work on projects outside of work. I'm currently rebuilding a 70s vintage Honda CB750 as a "Cafe Racer" or at least my vision of what one should be. Given my love for all things Horween, I wanted to use one of their products when upholstering the seat. However, items like Cordovan and CXL are pulling a premium as of late. So, i've decided to go with a natural Horween 'horse strip'. As most of you know this is what is left after the cordovan shells are cut away. It may be a little think and stiff for the application, but i'm up for the challenge!

Here is a shot of the strips. With an 18lb West Highland Terrier thrown in for scale :confused:

I figured out of anyone, you guys can appreciate my insanity.

My girlfriend just shook her head when i told her the plan. :embar:

I know it is not a pull-up, but i hope arse sweat and indigo will patina the hell out of the leather.

[​IMG]

13. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction for the boot I'm looking for. I'd like to get a commando sole, shell cordovan boot that is any style, excluding NST, in a size 13D (barrie) or close to that. Any leads on websites/shops to try is greatly appreciated!

14. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

+1
    thank you sir.
    thank you sir. i'm glad you found the other pictures.
    I would buy those if I found them in tsm's seconds list. I think they look very nice.
    thanks uncle mac.
    [​IMG] my name is mrdv, and I am an addict.

15. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

awesome looking boots sir.
    very nice shoes.
    beautiful shoes sir.
    blue, you and I think alike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.