1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

[​IMG]

One month in of wearing my Natty CXL Indy's (on the Modified Last) as daily wears. No rotation with these, I've been wearing them 6-7 days a week. So far the weather/exposure hasn't been all that bad. Some rain, some mud and sand, a few light hikes. They've gotten Lexoled a couple of times, and heavily LP'd early on. Didn't mess with the color much at all, other than making the natural welt a bit darker. I plan on wearing these every day this winter, except possibly for snow that's heavy enough to make me wear my beans.

Fit wise, they've stretched a bit more than I'd have wished, mostly in the eyestays. They haven't stretched much, if at all, in the actual foot area. Light heel slippage, but I think it's mostly because the rear of the shoe needs to break in just a little bit more to flex with my heel.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like after a full season of exclusive wear, and posting them here (next to everyone's neat and shiny shoes).

1 person likes this.
  2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ Looks good. I'm not able to wear the same pair two days in a row (well, rarely) much less three or four (never) unless they are designated beaters - and much cheaper.

3. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Interesting...
    Are you at least brushing and treeing them at night?
    I imagine they will get funky a bit if they are not able to thoroughly dry over night.

4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

This little tip just cost me $150... Gah!

Thanks Steve.

-Mike

5. Don L

Don L Senior member

It is not recommended to wear good shoes that often...Alden recommends a treed day of rest in between wears.

6. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

they might look good after a full season of exclusive wear but they aint going to smell good.....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. mdubs

If I was wearing shoes daily, I wouldn't tree them. You want them to dry overnight before inserting the trees. That's what I do with all my shoes, but they also get worn 1-2 times a month, not a day!!! :)

-Mike

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

9. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Now I have heard letting them dry before inserting trees, but I also have heard that trees help absorb the moisture from normal wear...
    Interesting conundrum.
    I always assumed if they were soaked through you could leave the trees out and stuff with newspaper to help wick the wet.
    I assumed the trees after the daily use is appropriate.

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    good family portfolio
    good hunting

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    enjoy wearing

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

13. mdubs

The insert Alden provides with their Shell Cordovan shoes recommends that you let them cool before inserting the trees. And yes Cedar trees help absorb moisture, but it can't help if it's a lake inside your shoes. :)

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, good shine

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

16. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Vass's book on shoes says that inserting trees immediately after use is best and that, in his view, the notion that you should wait is not supported. To each his own, but that's good enough for me.

If soaking wet - rain, for example - the newspaper (then trees) works in my experience.

17. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, looking good

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    whiskey gunboats
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I give them a brushing if there's dirt or sand on them, but no, I don't brush them daily out of formality. I mean, it's not as though they need to have a completely sterile surface or anything, and I'm not going for some kind of a shine (though they do stay nice and shiny regardless). As for smell and moisture, I think people exaggerate the extent to which leather shoes need to air out and dry. They get a solid 12 hours in between wearings, which is plenty of time for them to dry out just from general wear, and I'm wearing socks so it's not like there's sweat just sitting on the leather. They won't develop some kind of mould or fungus just being worn on a daily basis. Also, I am definitely not treeing these as that would counteract the extent to which they properly mould to my foot. My foot isn't shoe tree shaped.

I think there's a lot of wisdom around here that's 100% great for shoes that you want to keep looking practically brand new, shiny, and only wear a few times a month. That's totally fine. But these are boots that I'm going to wear as boots. Can you imagine if Indiana Jones, in the middle of the desert, said "hold on, I've gotta give these boots a good brushing because do you *know* how much they cost? Fortunately I carry a spare pair so I can rotate every day."

Over on Reddit, /u/hoobahans posted a pair of 403s about a year ago, this is what a few years of daily wear and treatment will make them look like. Yeah, they get beaten up, but you have to figure he's probably worn them way more often than an infrequent wearer would. [​IMG]

20. rexet

rexet Senior member

I'm quite new to Alden shoes.

I fell in love with this model that I just tried in a French shop:

[​IMG]
    http://www.frenchtrotters.fr/boutique/fr/1108-cap-toe-boots-cordovan-8.html

The problem is my size was not available (looks 9D would be great since 8,5D was tight and 9,5D too roomy) and they don't expect to receive new stock.

I'm willing to make them ship from the US. Any advice where I could find the exact same configuration? Meaning:
    - color Cordovan 8
    - tip toe
    - commando sole
    - eyelet lacing

I find this one that come close but seems to be only available in black:
    http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Shoes-Black_Shell_Cordovan_Straight_Tip_Boot_169.htm

Thank you mates :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.