1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I would rather not have an adverse effect due to the snow and salt today.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The after pair looks nice, perhaps even nicer than the before pair, but it looks nothing like whiskey.

3. Dr. D

Dr. D Senior member

4. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Damn, Bakes, you're on a roll!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Oh my, if I dropped $160 on a pair of whiskeys and opened the box to find them I would be pissed. I have spoken to Nick before and it was obvious that he was quite knowledgeable and responsive. It was immediately evident that his reputation was well-earned. My conversation with him was about soles and uppers never came up but I will likely give him a call on Monday. I've got two really good cobblers within 1/4 mile from where I work but I'm not sure about having them mess with shell leather.

I'll see what Nick has to say but in the meantime I'll take your advice on buffing and enjoying them. The plan was to wear them with denim so I'm not necessarily looking for perfection. Much appreciated Dr. D. Thanks for going the extra mile.

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

BG, these look great!!! Congrats!! I would be thrilled if mine look as good as yours. Mine are en route but probably won't show up till next week. Going to be awhile before they can get worn in the northeast but I still want them so bad :)

Now the real question is whether to get the dark brown as well...there is a pair available and the pictures look really great

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    that is the purpose of overshoes which protects both shell and calf and allows the shoes to be worn all year long regardless of the weather conditions

8. blues4life

blues4life Active Member

Sorry, but another sizing question. Living in Cinciinnati I don't have the luxury of trying on all the different lasts so here goes:
    I have a pair of Indy #8 on Trubalance last, 11D, and fit well, maybe the slightest of extra room
    I have a pair of cigar LHS van last, 11D, and fit perfect
    I just purchased a pair of black calf NST 11D, Barrie, and I'm almost feeling they are a little snug at the widest point ( but ok with thin socks.)
    So now I'm looking at an 11D PTB on the Barrie last but concerned...

Should I expect the same last to fit differently on different shoes, especially if they are both lace up?
    Is it reasonable my VANS fit better because they are a slip on and perhaps now as rounded through the middle as a lace up ?

Thanks for the help

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Juice,

Those are beautiful. They are kind of stealth on that couch or chair or whatever that is. Better be careful to not sit on them there! :)

Enjoy them and happy thanksgiving!

-Mike

10. mdubs

I would be less than pleased with that updated color. They do look beautiful, but I typically buy Whiskeys for their "Whiskey"-ness... :)

-Mike

11. mdubs

Whiskey Wednesday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Thanksgiving All!

-Mike

12. RecoveringChef

RecoveringChef Well-Known Member

Thanks, Steve!

13. Dr. D

Dr. D Senior member

No problem- I am an 8.5 barrie as well and had looked long and hard at Morgan's ad so I am am happy to see the temptation is finally off the market :D

One more crazy idea: you might try aiming a hair dryer on that crease and then wipe with a cloth and brush again, just to see if that does anything. Mac has always advocated using a hair dryer to help work away the white bloom that forms on some shells, and perhaps that will help with this case. It may be that the creases had filled with bloom that accumulated dirt and gunk and it just needs to be loosened a little. I know my older whiskey LWB emit the most bloom of any of my shells and a little heat does help disperse the oils. At any rate, enjoy them!

14. RecoveringChef

RecoveringChef Well-Known Member

Those boots look amazing. How long have you had them and were they darker before? I'm anxiously awaiting my first pair of LWB Color 8

15. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

i have a pair of cigar (or nearly) shell hanovers that are built very solidly. took about 9 months of trolling ebay to pick them up for $75...definitely keep hanover on your radar if you are considering buying used! had to size up 1/2 size from barrie.

16. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

or what if you apply saphir reno to just that area and keep on rubbing it out? if i polish my shoes with reno some color always comes off onto the makeup pad...

17. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I sent back my ravello tassels to Alden for restoration a few months ago and got them back with more or less unchanged uppers in terms or color. I simply made clear that I didn't want the color of the uppers changed with dye. I was very happy with the job done.

My cordovan wingtip boots are less than a month old. That photo is indoors, so it may look different from my other photos. Outdoors it is a nice dark burgundy shade that I feel is very versatile. I love that style of boot.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  18. unipair guy

unipair guy Senior member

[​IMG]
    %20 off plus our regular %10 for VAT. This is our Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. Please pm me with any questions. It will run until Tuesday night here in Seoul.
    Alpine Grain perforated cap toe Barrie D
    #8 cordovan perforated cap toe Grant D
    #8 cordovan plain toe boot Barrie E
    Alpine Grain V-tip derby Barrie D

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  19. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I really love the way the dark brown looks as well, I wish I would've ordered those along with these tan suedes. Hopefully they will offer another pre-order on these so I can get my size.

Thanks! I thought the same thing when I originally got my 1494s...my couch is really close in color to Alden tan suede!

20. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

My friends, Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your family and friends often and in great health... (your Alden collections too)

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.