• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone is hawking a pair of new BBBF black pebblegrain longwings on ebay for a hefty sum above what (I'm assuming) he paid for them at the BF sale. I'm mostly noting this as I was really tempted to buy just this pair of shoes but decided against doing so as I determined that I'd mostly just be buying them because they were such a good deal -- much like my purchase and subsequent return of the J. Crew cadet shoe.

Michael Haines

Reaction score

Someone is hawking a pair of new BBBF black pebblegrain longwings on ebay for a hefty sum above what (I'm assuming) he paid for them at the BF sale.  I'm mostly noting this as I was really tempted to buy just this pair of shoes but decided against doing so as I determined that I'd mostly just be buying them because they were such a good deal -- much like my purchase and subsequent return of the J. Crew cadet shoe.

I ended up loving the cadet shoe

christoffer78

Reaction score
New to this thread but the knowledge on Alden here seems pretty amazing so I thought someone might be able to help out on a small question on fitting.

What is the difference between the D and E fittings? I have searched the web but find only limited information... Probably because Alden is such a rare brand in Europe.

If I have a Barrie last size 7.5 E which fits my foot pretty well, is a 7.5 D much narrower or is the difference negligible?

Greatful for any advice and input!

Chris

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's because they're already charging an unreasonable 150 bucks for the service. 8-10 weeks?

There are many quality cobblers that can handle Aldens, and will be more accommodating to the customer.

Agreed. It's the 8-10 weeks that always pushed me away from a factory resole. I'd be OK with the price if it didn't take 2 months.

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls

That's because they're already charging an unreasonable 150 bucks for the service. 8-10 weeks?

There are many quality cobblers that can handle Aldens, and will be more accommodating to the customer.

Agreed. It's the 8-10 weeks that always pushed me away from a factory resole. I'd be OK with the price if it didn't take 2 months.

Truth be told, I just had restorations done on two pairs of LHS shells (sent in at separate times), and while they did tell me it would be 8-10 weeks... I received both within 6 weeks , and they came back like new. Of course using another cobbler, like B Nelson, the turnaround time would still be a fraction of the 6 weeks... But I prefer to have my Alden's restored by Alden, they know their shoes best...

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score

New to this thread but the knowledge on Alden here seems pretty amazing so I thought someone might be able to help out on a small question on fitting. What is the difference between the D and E fittings? I have searched the web but find only limited information... Probably because Alden is such a rare brand in Europe. If I have a Barrie last size 7.5 E which fits my foot pretty well, is a 7.5 D much narrower or is the difference negligible? Greatful for any advice and input! Chris
Welcome to the forum... D and E widths both fall into the Alden "medium" width category... With the E being approximately 3/16ths of an inch wider than a D... Hope that helps...

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... D and E widths both fall into the Alden "medium" width category... With the E being approximately 3/16ths of an inch wider than a D... Hope that helps...
I wear D width in Barrie and I think I may be on the narrowish side of D especially with the LWB. I can not wear an E width in that shoe.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score

Out and about with my LS CXL jumpers today

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how the Leydon last fits when going from TB / Barrie size up a half size and down a width on a pair of the unlined chukkas?
(i.e. I'm looking at going from TB / Barrie 11.5 D to Leydon 12C).

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can anyone comment on how the Leydon last fits when going from TB / Barrie size up a half size and down a width on a pair of the unlined chukkas?
(i.e. I'm looking at going from TB / Barrie 11.5 D to Leydon 12C).

I doubt this will work unless the Barrie D is way too wide for you. Most would go 12D or 12E from 11.5D Barrie

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cigar lhs
argyles otc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads