1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    cigar lhs
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

First of all, absolutely beautiful shoes. Second, I could not agree more with your approach. An exact match is not necessary. Shell belts are nice but I don't see myself personally allocating my shoe $ on them.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

I own Rancourt belts in CXL, caramel, and expresso. Outstanding quality belt that I highly recommend. I don't think #8 CXL will match #8 cordovan very well. The #8 cordovan should do well, and the Brooks Brothers burgundy will too. If you want to spend less try a burgundy AE belt, I have that and matches well. I have Alden#8 cordovan too.

The Rancourt is a good match for whiskey shell, specially after you treat the belt with Saphir and a few good brushings.

For casual belts the Rancourts are 1.5 in wide, shell cordovan are 1.25. I've not asked them if they would do shell in a wider belt.
    The Rancourts are every bit as durable as my Alden shell belts and several steps above the Horween made shell belts in 1 piece. The main difference is not hide quality, it's the strap the hide is mounted to is better on the Rancourts and Alden's. The Brooks Brothers shell belt are also well made.

See Ya,
    Steve

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Those are absolutely beautiful LHSes. Glad that I already have a pair, otherwise I may be compelled to run out and grab one!!! You shine is miraculous as always.

I may stand corrected, but those appear to be cashmere socks, but not argyles... :)

Have a good evening all!

-Mike

5. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

First of all, absolutely beautiful shoes. Second, I could not agree more with your approach. An exact match is not necessary. Shell belts are nice but I don't see myself personally allocating my shoe $ on them.[/quote

Great shoe and great example of a belt that gets the job done. Many members satisfied with match up, and I think it's great. However I will say I'm fortunate to have Alden belts in whiskey and cigar, in the 1.25 in and 1.5 in widths. It's really nice to match up hide and the color variance that adds so much character to experience. The belt typically have 3 large piece that vary in color, making for a very cool combo it that's something that interests you.

See Ya,
    Steve

6. mdubs

I do agree with you that they do not need to be a 100% match. There are about 3 feet (just a guess, I didn't actually measure) of distance between my waist and my hip. Wow, you have managed to make me MORE excited about tomorrow... Whiskey Wednesday! Tomorrow my Whiskey LHSes arrive too!

$40 is a great buy for that belt! I think that I got mine off of eBay for around $50 new (and I thought that was a great deal).

Have a good night all!

-Mike

7. mdubs

Great shoe and great example of a belt that gets the job done. Many members satisfied with match up, and I think it's great. However I will say I'm fortunate to have Alden belts in whiskey and cigar, in the 1.25 in and 1.5 in widths. It's really nice to match up hide and the color variance that adds so much character to experience. The belt typically have 3 large piece that vary in color, making for a very cool combo it that's something that interests you.

See Ya,
    Steve

Steve,

I got very lucky earlier this year and Kathy happened to have a Whiskey and Cigar belt sitting around in my sizes. I particularly admire the Whiskey belt and it indeed has some beautiful character in it.

-Mike

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Color 8 wingtip boots

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

Thanks Sazon. Yes, these are the Leather Soul make-up.

10. brp2

brp2 Senior member

I just ordered that same belt to go with my color 8 shell shoes. I'll let you know if it works once I get it.

11. Teeka

Teeka Senior member

I think the Rancourt shell#8 belt is definitely for Alden shell#8.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    4 people like this.
  12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

FWiW, my Alden Shell Belts from before they stopped making them (I know, they did not actually make them themselves) did not have the special finish either. I have 1 in cigar and 1 in Color 8, and they are hard to tell apart, since neither color is really what it should be.

Not sure, but you can always return if you are not pleased with it.

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

+1, true that...

14. ReppTiePrepster

Looking great Alcibiades.

15. ReppTiePrepster

Uncle, a fine look for the Wednesday (or Tuesday) before Turkey Day.

16. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Rainy days call for the Tobacco Chamois on Commando.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

Agreed [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

19. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

20. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

Mike-I got several of mine from Kathy too.

Bakes-I'm not debating your experience with the Alden belts in Cigar and #8, but my cigar belts in 1.25" and 1.5" are multi color and are defiantly light to medium cigar color and not close to #8. Same for my whiskey with a lot of variance in the 3 pieces used, but a great match for whiskey shoes since they too seem to vary a lot in color. No doubt belts have a wide variance in color. However I got lucky and could not be happier with my Alden Cigar and Whiskey belts. I did buy the Horween 1 piece belt in #8, and dark cognac and those are very close in color and on the dark side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.