1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I had the same dilemma with my LHS in Whiskey. I bought an Allen Edmonds belt in Walnut. Very very close to what the Whiskey looks like and presumably it is 3+ feet from your feet.

I'd go with something wider than 30mm for jeans personally. This belt below is happy medium of 35mm....

[​IMG]

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF32118_1_40000000001_-1

I hope this helps. That belt is from the AE Rough Collection so it's perfectly casual!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Senior member

Yes, no one is asking you to lose money. We have a good community full of individuals with a similar obsession. And, there is an opportunity here to allow another member to share in your savings. No one would fault you for factoring in Paypal costs --Paypal also ensures that you are protected as a seller, as long as you are shipping to a confirmed address-- and shipping.

But, I am inclined to say that as long as you are not jumping through an inordinate number of hoops, why not help out a fellow member? That karma comes back, and it is just as easy as driving to a J. Crew store and returning them.

Also, we are not dealing with Tier Zero Jordans. Although one can get a fair amount reselling Aldens, one is never going to get the non-sale price, especially for a boot that we all know, and many of us own (none of us paying retail).

1 person likes this.
  3. hanoiboy

hanoiboy Senior member

Fat herbie it is, itll be too large for front pocket but evenly flush in the back pocket. I find this wallet less bulky than any bifold.

4. hanoiboy

hanoiboy Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Navy suede on the plaza last from j gilbert. Big thanks to Sean. .

1 person likes this.
  5. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

agreed. AE walnut belt is almost a perfect match to some whiskey shells I recently acquired.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

It may be a bit on the pricier side, but if you want to stay with cordovan, how about one from Rancourt and Co?

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/leather-goods/belt-caramel-shell-cordovan.html

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I think 30mm is a little thin, personally.

Epaulet had what is essentially a whiskey belt made by Carmina as of a few days ago, but it looks like its gone now, so I guess that doesn't help you.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested looking in to getting a belt from Rancourt yet!

Because after you "shell" out the extra money for it instead of getting any other bill fold, you have a lot less cash left over to bulk up your wallet.

(Corny, I know, but I couldn't help myself)

1 person likes this.
  8. RecoveringChef

RecoveringChef Well-Known Member

Funny, I was about to ask the same thing, only regarding Color 8. I just picked up my first shell Alden Color 8 LWB and I'm going to need a matching belt. Is a shell belt really necessary? Rancourt has a CXL Color 8 belt. What do you guys think? http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/l...-6231-roller-buckle-matte-nickel-size-32.html [​IMG]

9. RecoveringChef

RecoveringChef Well-Known Member

10. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

cant comment on the rancourt #8 cxl belt, but from looking at the belt you posted above, it looks very similar to an #8 cxl belt I received from hellbrand. unfortunately, to much a shade difference for me to use with my shell aldens. might be the lack of shine on the belt vs aldens #8, but I'll admit I haven't attempted anything with the belt to try and bring more of a shine out.

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I heard Alden San Fran recently got a few Color 8 Shell belts in. Also, Brooks Brothers seems to sell them.

12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Lookin' really good MrDV. Could swear they look like black shell, pretty dark color 8.

13. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Yeah, someone posted that they did a small demo run out of their Maine factory that they use to produce the Cape Cod collection. Unfortunately, it was stated that they do not receive Alden's special dye that darkens and "eggplants" their Color 8. So I am guessing it will match as well as my AE Burgundy Shell belt, which is not very well.

-Mike

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

16. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

For me, as long as the belt is decent quality and a close match, I'll take it...more money for the shoes. I found a $40 AE walnut belt at The Rack this week.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

19. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, good looking combo I like your king nst, one of alden's best models

20. Roggie Rog

Roggie Rog Well-Known Member

On that note, are the Brooks Brothers shell cordovan belts made with Horween shell? Its not specified in the description and their wallets are made in Japan, and I suppose that they're not Horween shell cordovan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.