• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I have just decided that I will never purchase a pair of Uggs, ever... my wife and daughters will adhere to this new ban in my household as well!
rotflmao.gif

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My so-called friend who is also a girl said she was just moving my boots for some unfathomable reason and inadvertently put a scratch in the upper. No biggie. She wanted to apologize profusely, but couldn't because she's got other issues. The appropriate sanction is death of course. Short of that has anyone been able to train their significant other to properly buff shell cordovan shoes? :)

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Copped a pair of suede chukkas in snuff... Leydon, 10E. Length is great, they feel a tad snug on the width, but they will give as they are unlined. I thought about snuff longwings but my natty CXL longwings fill that role. Done with suede for this year.

2) Alden MA charged my credit card, which means my ravello tassel restoration must be done. I hope they get shipped soon. I will post pictures. I am curious to see what color they end up, they were pretty dark to begin with

3) Decided against the tobacco chamois wingtip boots as I prefer a commando sole for that style of boot

4) Alden NYC is claiming they won't get any new rare cordovan in a year and that Is becoming more difficult to source hides for color 8. Some of that may be hyperbole but who knows

Waterloo 360T

Reaction score

I gotta say, this is totally weird. It was just last year when I was looking thru the Brooks Brothers catalog and saw their unlined shell cordovan penny loafers for the jaw dropping price of $650. If you search the web for info and pics of shell cordovan penny loafers you'll invariably come across a photo of Uncle Mac wearing a variety of Alden LHS's with his trademark argyles OTC. Which links you to SF. Which leads to a very needy monkey who likes expensive shoes sitting on your head. Does Uncle Mac control the Internet?

I heard he won it in a poker game from Al Gore.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, as we rapidly approach :deadhorse:  I suppose it's an agree to disagree situation.  Suffice it to say that I'm not saying that someone cannot like something for whatever reason they choose.  I am saying that I can't relate to the mentality that leads someone to make decisions based on that, and I think it's a bit pitiful and juvenile.  To each his own. 

This is a sad choice of words especially in light of the fact that the strength of ones denial that they are being influenced is directly proportional to the to the actual strength of that influence or as Shakespeare put it "methinks you doth protest too much" or as my kids say " calling me one makes you one too".Calling someones decision making process "pitiful and juvenile " while implying that yours is somehow superior when they only differ in context but not at all in substance indicates a narrow and self centered way of relating to your fellow man.To each his own indeed

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the discussion of celebrities, people post photos of and borrow from "style icons" all the time... On this forum, in blog, in magazines, etc. Real (Cary Grant, JFK), fictional (Don Draper), whatever. Not a big deal

Last edited:

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My so-called friend who is also a girl said she was just moving my boots for some unfathomable reason and inadvertently put a scratch in the upper. No biggie. She
wanted to apologize profusely, but couldn't because she's got other issues. The appropriate sanction is death of course. Short of that has anyone been able to train their significant other to properly buff shell cordovan shoes? :)

My girlfriend is well aware of my obsessive nature regarding my Aldens she knows not to touch them for any reason. I am reasonable with most aspects of cohabitation. As long as she doesn't touch my shoes we are good.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden NY told me the same thing. I really don't see much shell anywhere. I'm curious as to how it seems to be that AE has plenty of models in shell?

Last edited:

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My so-called friend who is also a girl said she was just moving my boots for some unfathomable reason and inadvertently put a scratch in the upper. No biggie.

This requires a good boning.

totalair1

Reaction score
Enough said...can we get back to specifically discussing Alden shoes, cordovan shortages, last sizes and stuff related to our feet instead of war of the words?

See Ya,
Steve

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads