***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Indiana Jones got me interested in Alden for sure.
    And then this thread scared me away. [​IMG]

2. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I think you are missing the point again, MWS. I think what the 'Hound is trying to say, is that David Beckham and Leonardo DiCaprio are not the reason why he buys Aldens, it is Harrison Ford!

(Just kidding)
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

+1 on both counts
    ^
    [​IMG]

3. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

Me too, it all began with a J Crew catalog. I thought hmmm those shoes look pretty "cool" but why are they so expensive?

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I think it's alot worse now than it was decades ago, probably just because of the proliferation of digital media, and technology. You are right that it isn't new. I don't think anyone is saying that it is. We also aren't saying that advertising isn't a perfectly fine thing, and someone has to wear the item in question while it is being advertised. I suppose it may as well be a celebrity. What we are saying is that some people imply that they think something is cool because that celebrity is wearing it, which is rediculous. Most people outgrew that mentality when they outgrew their Chuck Taylor All-Stars or their Nike Air Jordans.

5. MoneyWellSpent

[​IMG]

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

i was originally considering the tan suede chukkas but after i saw that picture of Beckham wearing the snuff ones with navy, i said to myself 'i wear a lot of navy and the snuff suede looks really good with navy in that pic on him'.

then i changed my mind and decided i wanted the snuff ones based on that.

so yeah, i think the snuff suede is cool because they look good in that pic, and on him. i don't think there is anything wrong with this line of thinking.

7. MoneyWellSpent

It sounds to me like your decision was based on seeing the combo in the picture that appealed to you, and you would have made the same decision even if it had been a no-name model. That's perfectly normal. Mannequins in stores are made for the same purpose.

That isn't the same thing as not liking snuff suede and then deciding that you do like snuff suede because David Beckham likes snuff suede.

8. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

even if that were the case, there would be nothing wrong with that. you cannot really tell someone they cannot like something because their reason for liking it you don't agree with.

9. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I really didn't even know Alden made a Indy boot until about six months into my current obsession. I stumbled across Aldens while looking for a pair of Edward Green's. I try to support American products that are still constructed with pride. I acquired my indys after I bought my ptbs and wingtips. Obviously we all have opinions but seeing celebrities commercialize Aldens doesn't increase my desire to own them actually quite the opposite. I really hope they don't become a designer/fashion shoe.

11. MoneyWellSpent

Well, as we rapidly approach [​IMG] I suppose it's an agree to disagree situation. Suffice it to say that I'm not saying that someone cannot like something for whatever reason they choose. I am saying that I can't relate to the mentality that leads someone to make decisions based on that, and I think it's a bit pitiful and juvenile. To each his own.

12. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Senior member

So . . . to paraphrase, To each his own, but in my opinion, you're pitiful and juvenile??? I don't think there is a need to insult the people who don't share you're opinion.

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Thats not what he is saying, based on my interpretation.

As MH clarified, he is not among those who buys things because he sees celebrities wearing them. Therefore, that last part of his post does not apply to MH, only those who do consciously try to emulate celebrities.

Where they disagree, is that MH thinks it is perfectly fine for people to buy things in an effort to emulate celebrities, while MWS thinks it is pitiful and juvenile.

MH or MWS, please correct me if I am misinterpreting your respective positions.

Last edited: May 9, 2013

14. Don L

Don L Senior member

Tom Brady wears Uggs.....

15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

[​IMG]

Hahaha, that ought to throw some gas on the fire and revitalize this spirited discussion among gentlemen.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.