• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
let's not forgot the reason why many of us became Alden fans, or became aware of Alden in the first place, is because Harrison Ford wore them in the Indiana Jones movies. this was entirely his choice, Alden did not pay the production company or some professional dresser or stylist for that.

it was because Ford swore by them for all day comfort and durability as well as style (he's an actor too) , etc., when he was working as a carpenter.

and now they are known as "Indy Boots", which i sorta hate because they were in production for decades before the movies and known as the "Alden Work Boot 405".

936full-indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-photo.jpg

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not missing any point, I don't think. Maybe you missed my post further up, where I completely agree with your stance. I prefaced the second post with "in a similar vein," because I think it is in the same realm of sillyness to assume that a celebrity wearing something is in any way making it cool, or even that they are endorsing of the item. Often they are just mannequins or real-life dolls for someone who gets paid alot of money to clothe them.
I was being jestful. Your point was spot-on.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear aldens because a few years ago I googled "alden shoes" and uncle mac's pictures looked awesome. I'm not kidding, that's how I got hooked.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear aldens because a few years ago I googled "alden shoes" and uncle mac's pictures looked awesome. I'm not kidding, that's how I got hooked.
My first pair was the Black Unlined LHS from BB, which is how I discovered them.

I suspect many other recent fans became aware of Alden via J Crew.

I didn't know why it was called the Indy boot until I stumbled across this thread one day during a google search.

All but 1 pair of my Aldens are shell, which is essentially what I like them for. I have 1 pair in Mocha Kid Suede that I bought from BB, but mostly because I like style of the tassel moc, not because they are made by Alden.

For non-shell make-ups, I usually look to other brands. I'm not one of those folks that buys clothes simply for the label.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
let's not forgot the reason why many of us became Alden fans, or became aware of Alden in the first place, is because Harrison Ford wore them in the Indiana Jones movies. this was entirely his choice, Alden did not pay the production company or some professional dresser or stylist for that.

it was because Ford swore by them for all day comfort and durability as well as style (he's an actor too) , etc., when he was working as a carpenter.

and now they are known as "Indy Boots", which i sorta hate because they were in production for decades before the movies and known as the "Alden Work Boot 405".

MH, what makes you think that Indiana Jones is the reason that many of us are Alden fans? I certainly wouldn't think that Indiana Jones is the reason that anyone really became aware of Alden in the first place. It was a cool story to hear about Harrison Ford's dedication to his boots after I became aware of Alden, but I can't say I was watching one of those movies and thought to myself "hmm, I like those boots, I wonder who makes them?" I was too busy watching the faces melt off of the Nazi's to care about his dirty boots that are actually pretty hard to notice unless you really try. They look pretty non-descript being covered down to the ankles by his pants and the rest of them being shrouded in a thick layer of sand colored dust.

TactileOne

Reaction score
My first attempt at pictures here, and I'm not that great of a phographer. These are my newsest Aldens, they were bought slightly used. First was pre any attention

Second after minor attention.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

936full-indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-photo.jpg
You're making it hard to defend you MH. I suppose then you were not being facetious with the Beckham and DiCaprio posts. Oh well...

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it had anything specifically to do with Beckham. Rather, it was a really rich guy, for whom money is no object, who chooses to wear Adlen.

yep, we already know Aldens are great. that a celebrity (who can likely afford any shoe available) also chooses Alden is just plain cool to see.

another one, the guy from LOST and Hawaii Five-0 bought some Aldens from Leather Sole last year:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/01/09/daniel-dae-kim/

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I discovered Alden through J Crew. The Tobacco waxed LWB drew my attention first. I too was blown away when I first saw pics of Mac's shells. Two years later, here I am obsessed and addicted! Harrison Ford, Beckham, etc... have nothing to do with it. However, I am a little curious as to who else enjoys them.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're making it hard to defend you MH. I suppose then you were not being facetious with the Beckham and DiCaprio posts. Oh well...
a lot of people see a certain article of clothing or shoes on a celebrity they like the look of and buy that same thing.

we can get inspiration from different places, and someone famous can certainly be one of them. i really don't think there is anything wrong with it.

this is what magazines and catalogs are all about. you see something cool on a celebrity or model and say to yourself, 'that's cool, i could be just like them if i buy that'. this is really nothing new.

Last edited:

shaunw

Reaction score
Sorry if my post was not well received. It was not my intention to offend anyone. Perhaps sometimes I fail to detect the facetiousness of MH posts, which is my own fault.

That must have been the case when I read the above post where he suggests that PTBs are in fact cool because Leonardo DiCaprio wears them.

His facetious sense of humor really seems to comes out in posts where he points out that a celebrity is wearing a certain style of shoe that he himself has recently acquired. I will be sure to remain conscious of this tendency so that I do not misinterpret it again in the future.

Cheers, Gentlemen

cheers.gif
Yea I had to chuckle when I saw this post with DiCaprio. My first thought was....wait who said DiCaprio was cool? Just because people are famous doesn't mean they are cool. I personally could care less what celebrity wears alden, I'd prefer that none of them did as they are already popular enough (the shoes) as it is. More spotlight isn't going to help the "alden fan" in any way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads