1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

and there is no connection between the lengthof this thread and the many repeated questions? . Even if repeats did not materially add to the length of the thread it is a matter of courtesy and efficiency. Searching is not sifting through the thread. The beautubof searchbis precisely that you are targeting what you want, not sifting.

I never understand why some get bent out of shape about other people's time

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I generally agree with you but this week I found myself answering the same question multiple times (where to find antique color 8 LWBs) and reporting an answer I gave to 990 vs Dover question a couple or months ago. I've probably answered the Barrie boot vs shoe question 10 times. I am working on a FAQ / popular shoe retailer list

1 person likes this.
  3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

It's not just that he asked the question again.
    It's that he stated up front he knows the question has been asked before and that he's too lazy to go search for it himself.

2 people like this.
  4. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

The primary use I have for mine is to help with nicks and scratches. I also from time to time use it for helping massage the creases in the vamp. That is all I would recommend. Saphir Renovateur (or VSC) is the product that most folks will agree is a staple.
    That being said, there isn't much good substitution for elbow grease and a decent brush. (brush quality is subjective as well)

1 person likes this.
  5. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

While a search may or may not yield the results one is looking for, i believe that some individuals simply enjoy the interaction aspect of the back and forth dialogue.

1 person likes this.
  6. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

+1 agree

1 person likes this.
  7. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Morning Gents,

I'm currently looking at a Grant boot and wanted to ask a question. Has anyone gone with their Barrie size when ordering a Grant lasted shoe/boot? If so, what areas seem tighter/looser on the Grant than the Barrie? I know everyone's feet are different but I'm looking for a little more detail/reasoning than simply "go TTS on the grant " etc.

Thanks in advance!

8. bespoken pa

FWIW when i spoke to Cathy at alden dc she advised me going with my barrie size would not work. Shame too, I really wanted the cigar captoes. Oh well.

9. blue collar

Ya, I figured my barrie size would not work as well. I just want to know why. Is the grant shorter? Narrower? Or a combo of both? Is the ball/vamp tighter? How does the heel compare?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

My Grant boots in 10E are the same size as my Barrie 9.5E

Beat Harvard
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. bespoken pa

^ that's them, they look amazing A. We should start a bad beats thread a la the world series of poker. I almost had 'em.

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I tried going with my Barrie size on the Grant last and it was too tight. Needed a half size longer or wider

13. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I am actually the same in Grant as Barrie. It is all about the shape of your foot.

14. blue collar

And the fit is good?

Too tight at the ball of your foot (width wise) or too short that your toes were cramped at the toe box?

Ok perfect, so with them being the same size, how do they feel different on the foot? Is the grant narrower?

Thanks for all of the input guys :slayer:

15. N YMutt

N YMutt Member

A muddy field? I would leave those nice shoes home and wear a pair of true hiking boots, like Lowa or Merrill. At least have pair of something like these with you in the car. Barring that, bring galoshes.

16. bespoken pa

IDK, I have a healthy respect for those who use their boots as boots. I never could my cigar indys receive more care than my car or any other objects I own.

1 person likes this.
  17. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

The SA at the Alden-SF store told me that the Grant last was exactly like the Barrie last except for the very front, where the toe box is sleeker and has less volume.

18. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Very nice boots Alcibiades. Enjoy your Saturday.

19. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

a tip for those who would like to search the thread, and styleforum in general. in google, enter "search term site:styleforum.net". so for the deerbone you would enter "deerbone alden site:styleforum.net". i've found this yields better results than the forum search function.

2 people like this.
  20. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Does anyone know of a more simple way to search the thread than using the "Search This Thread" function? Is there a way that I can use google to find subjects that have been discussed previously in this thread? If so, how would I structure the search query? For example, say I wanted to search this thread for "deerbone"?

I want to find the answer to this question, but don't want to look for it. Can someone just tell me please?

Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.