1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

I was going to sell my pair of dark soled cigar LWBs but these pictures have made me so glad I didn't. My first thought on seeing this post was "I have to have these". My second thought was "oh wait, I do." I need to work hard on my shine skills though. They are nowhere near this.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. onehotchili

onehotchili Senior member

Just letting folks know that I just posted my Epaulet Burnished Calfskin Captoe 9D boots that I figured out were too small for me in Marketplace. If anyone is interested, just let me know....

Also, I was wondering if there has ever been a make up similar to Leffot's recent Color #8 Shell Dovers but in a Black shell? Or with an antique sole edge? I've been thinking a Black Shell Dover w/ flex sole and an antiqued edge would hit a nice "sweet spot" in my small but growing Alden collection....

3. katch

katch Senior member

Quote:I was told that they are "different animals". I don't quite agree. I think they are super similar and both fantastic.

4. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I agree they are both fantastic. My Alden cigar LWBs and C&J for RL Marlow SWBs are quite different in terms of color, style, last, feel, uses, and overall appearance. But if others disagree I am ok with that.

6. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

+1. I thought that they were Marlows on my first quick glance. After I read the caption I quickly realized my oversight. But the dark edges produces a similar effect.

-Mike

7. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

I do agree with you that in person they feel very different, but a tenth of a second glance on a side shot can lead to them seeming similar. But yes the last, the sole (Marlow is very stiff at least for a while), etc are very different.

-Mike

8. unipair guy

unipair guy Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    New Alden arrivals at Unipair. Have a great weekend gentlemen.

9. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Just got an email from Shig @ LS. Tan suede LWB pre-order is in stock and ready to ship! I think the total time from order to completion ended up being 22 months. Can't wait to get them! Just in time for winter....but I live in Florida so I'll still be able to wear them now.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

I've got a pair of AE Park Ave's and Dalton's in a 14E, and those are a bit roomy, but not uncomfortable. Really appreciate the info, as I haven't found too many options in the Toronto area for Alden's, let alone places that would carry a 13/14. I'll definitely have to try on a few pairs before I ever pull the trigger, but this gives me a clearer idea of what to look for and to expect. Won't be blindly ordering a pair anytime soon.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Tailgating on fields tomorrow that may get muddy. Cigar captoes on commando or navy CXL wingtips on crepe?

12. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Nice!!! I have yet to get my email...hopefully soon

14. Roggie Rog

Roggie Rog Well-Known Member

I know that this has been talked about already, but I'd love an answer without searching this entire thread. Has anyone used a deer bone to polish their shoes and how effective is it? Would you recommend it? Thanks in advance.

15. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I'll use one occasionally. seems to give back a great shine after hitting with a brush and then microfiber..

whether it's snake oil or not.. you'll get mixed opinions

1 person likes this.
  16. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Search. Very effective and this has been written about ad nauseum.

2 people like this.
  17. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

+1

1 person likes this.
  18. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Never understood why some people get so bent out of shape when a repeat question is posed. As if searching this thread for answers is easy or foolproof. To your question, I used a dear bone initially when I was trying to bring an old pair of shells back to life. I think it worked but I was so inexperienced at that time about how to care for shell. As I've learned more, I have come to use it less and less. For my money, a damp towel combined with diligent and vigorous brushing works best for on-going maintenance. Mix a little Reno in for shoes that need to be brought back to life. I don't know that the deer bone adds much to that though it does work well on small scratches and nicks.

I spent about $30 on my dear bone. Looking back on it I wish I had allocated that $30 to other shoe care products.

1 person likes this.
  19. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

agreed.. a thread like this is far too large to try and sift through..

I alternate between deer bone, reno, and VSC for shell. no real rhyme or reason, just whatever I feel like grabbing..

I definitely do not have the shine that mac and others have, but I also tend to lean towards more casual so a matte finish is not necessarily a bad thing in my eyes

1 person likes this.
  20. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

I'm with you. It was an especially long week at work. It's a little after midnight in Pgh. and my wife and son are in bed, I made a drink and engaged in one of my favorite pastimes, shell maintenance. Decided to work on these 3.......

[​IMG]

Hit all 3 with a damp rag and threw some Alden color 8 paste wax on the tassel/longwings and let them sit (trying to darken them a little). Used some AE chili heel dressing on the Alden LHS's and just brushed the heck out of the LHS's and lace longwings. Once done, brushed the heck out of the tassle's. That's tonight's routine. Tomorrow may be something completely different.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.