1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Doc,

Have confidence in your own fashion instinct and do what feels right to you. You don't need the approval of a bunch of internet strangers. Fashion should be about self-expression. Disregard the prevailing trends and what designers are currently hot and wear what appeals to you.

If you think you want a pair of EGs, get nasty!

If you think that they are too elegant for your style, don't buy them.

1 person likes this.
  2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

+1,000. At a certain price point, you are all on your own in terms of deciding whether the money spent equates to the satisfaction you will derive.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Yes.

EG has many great lasts. Go with the ones you find most pleasing to your eye, not someone else's eye. Good luck.

5. latestyle

latestyle Active Member

First pair of Aldens. and maiden voyage......
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I'm speaking strictly traditionally. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, as there are countless combinations that these boutique shoe shops have now had made up given the popularity of menswear in recent years.

However, traditionally speaking, an oil soaked sole is going to fall into a more casual category than a traditional oak tanned sole simply because of it's appearance. You are right that if the edge trim is black, then most people will never notice. However, there are still those who cross their legs and show their soles, even though it isn't "couth". It isn't a deal breaker on any shoe, and I didn't mean it that way. Rather, if I had three pairs of black captoes lined up, which were all the same, with the exception of the sole, and one had an oak tanned sole with black edge trim and black finishing on the bottom (where it doesn't touch the ground), one had traditional oak tanned soles, and one had the rich brown oil soaked soles, I would rank their formality in the order I listed them.

I was answering the OP's question on why Alden doesn't use oiled leather soles on all their shoes. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have them on most shoes, assuming you like them.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  7. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

A great pair of boots, especially for your first Aldens. Are they from TSM? Wear them in the best of health.

8. katch

katch Senior member

9. latestyle

latestyle Active Member

Thank you kindly. Yes, from TSM.

10. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Very nice. You could take that boot to war, come home, wipe it down and be ready for dinner with the lady.

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Pretty wild that you were able to cite that obscure example off the top of your head.

12. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

Whiskey PTB, Walnut SW -Epaulet, #4 chukka
    All recent, all the lightest colored shoes I have
    I no longer mind brown shoes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Red Sox World Series Champions - breaking-in the celebration score

[​IMG]

Whiskey Wednesdays are a go.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i wonder what the difference is. is it simply the other side of the leather?

14. REguy

REguy Senior member

I have many pairs of both Aldens and EGs. Personally, I only wear my Aldens casually because I find them too clunky to wear with suits. I'm far from fashion forward, dress very conservatively, and have never felt the least bit delicate/dainty wearing EGs. I'd recommend buying a pair on the 202 last if you're worried. I like to think of the 202 as EGs version of the Barrie (although way more refined/elegant). One thing to consider, there's a lot of "play" in the way Aldens fit. Any EGs you buy should and will fit more snug than any Aldens you own.

And yes, once you get a proper fitting pair on your feet, you'll want more than one.

15. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Great looking shoes and boots. I'm curious about your boots. Where are the #4 chukkas from? How old are they? Can you post a couple more pictures?

16. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Simply amazing.

2 people like this.
  17. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Non shell aldens do not get as much appreciation as shell models. However, crepe sole gets far less love than almost anything else. A long day at Disneyland calls for my most comfortable aldens.
    Aoc ravello lwb
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Do you risk splash mountain wearing those babies? ;)

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

id like a wheelchair in disneyland. with a ravello shell seat

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Damn you, Tampaaaaaaaa!!!! I need these!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.