• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr chorizo

Reaction score
My first Alden's EVER...a mxas present my senior year in highschool from brooks brothers.

black calfskin full strap loafers...beat to hell and in dire need of a factory restore.

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You will have too much heel slippage IMO. And they may also be too short.

i agree with my nephew and by the general rule of thumb you would need on the aberdeen last a 9.5 D

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

looks great. what last? do the unlined ones size any differently than lined?

Barrie last

Many have reported unlined PTBs fit a bit snugger than the lined versions. I agree, but it's not enough to make a difference in sizing IMO. These are my standard 9.5Es.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ok, so these are my first shell purchases, which were largely funded by money I shouldn't be spending right now, given the fact that I'm still in grad school...

Each photo is a first time wear.

LWB #8

WTB #8

Cigar chukka (received via trade)

And I'm hoping it doesn't get a little redundant with the #8 shell when my cap toe boots arrive sometime in August. :satisfied:

wear in good health, #8 is the best, you must be at wharton

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Black unlined cordovan dover PTB from Alden DC

I'm really liking these. Surprisingly light and flexible for a cordovan shoe. The flat welt and single leather sole make it sleeker looking than your average PTB as well. I find the shape of the shoe suits black cordovan very well...

nephew,
wear in good health

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone know what's recommended to treat alden kudu leather? neatsfoot oil?

minimal care needed. from nick horween himself.

"Very little maintenance is needed on Kudu Chromexcel. It’s a hand-curried leather, which means it has lots of oil in it already. A damp cloth and a brush is all you will need for care for several years."

i'm guessing eventually you throw some venetian on it.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

whiskey ptb
argyles otc

Last edited:

MrGuy

Reaction score

MrGuy!!!! I love your store! I am a st louisan! Tell Joe and everyone I said Hi. Great to see you guys on SForum!

I am not a rep for Mr guy, only inspired by them. I no longer live in stl, and thought I ought to bring a little of home with me on my journeys. Go birdinals!

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barrie last

Many have reported unlined PTBs fit a bit snugger than the lined versions. I agree, but it's not enough to make a difference in sizing IMO. These are my standard 9.5Es.

thanks for the info.

"Very little maintenance is needed on Kudu Chromexcel. It’s a hand-curried leather, which means it has lots of oil in it already. A damp cloth and a brush is all you will need for care for several years."

cool, i didn't even realize kudu was chromexcel. i think probably some neatsfoot oil every once in a while (like not even once a year) might be good for it.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I treated my kudus with neatsfoot oil as horween recommends, did a really good job at revitalizing the leather after a season of snow and salt. Looks pretty much new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads