1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Very well could be the case. I remember something similar happening with other orders, i believe from jcrew.

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,

thank you

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,

thank you

4. McPryon

McPryon Well-Known Member

I'm really in the mood to see some natural Chromexcel, myself.

5. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

dear mcarthur:

[​IMG]

learn it, use it, love it.

4 people like this.
  6. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

and can you blame anyone for this - shell is pretty awesome? yes, yes you can. this man is responsible for the death of thousands of horses because he just doenst know when to stop brushing:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  7. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

I've ordered from NS before and have found them very responsive. What about calling them and reminding them that a 403 is a traditional stock item. I would think that, as an Alden retailer, they should be able to have a pair of 403s drop shipped to you from Alden directly. Alternatively, you could ask them to charge you the discounted price and then send them to you upon replenishment of their stock. Either way, best of luck in finding what you're looking for.

8. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

Your observation is correct. It seems like most of the folks posting are exclusively shell or 'almost' exclusively shell oriented. Some love their shell so much they won't consider calf anymore. When you see the depth and complexity (sounds like wine) of the Ravello, Cigar or #8 in some of the pics, it's easy to understand why.

I truly love my shell boots but I still love my calf and other leathers, particularly CXL. I lean towards a more casual look and prefer most of my boots to look worn-in, rather than new and shiny. I admire the beauty of shell but much of it is just too dressy looking for where my wardrobe is at or where I want it to be.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Tobacco chamois indy shoe today! [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. docalden2013

You're right, this is a shell-heavy thread. Folks do tend to post neat non-shell Aldens. I recall a healthy string of natty cxls by El Argentino around a year ago, for example. I've recently posted a number of non-shell boot acquisitions. I, for one, would love to see folks' non-shell shoes more. I'm actually wearing my burnished tan wingtip boots from JGilbert for the 2nd time in 3 days. I think they're comfy and very versatile for casual wear. So let's post more Aldens--shell and non-shell alike!!

1 person likes this.
  11. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

how bout some natural cxl roughout

from a different company lol..

[​IMG]

12. kwhitelaw

beautiful!

feel free to pm me when you feel the itch to sell off a pair or two from your collection [​IMG]

13. docalden2013

Oak Street? If so, curious to hear how you like them. I just hit them up for an MTO perf captoe or wing tip trench boot in dark brown cxl. I was told no for sure on the wing tip. Won't be surprised if they shut me down on the dark brown pct boot too.

14. kwhitelaw

yep, just get them yesterday.

quality is legit. went TTS and they fit perfect. a little loose in the toe, due to size, but I'll be using heavier socks so they should work out perfect

these will quickly become my favorite pair to grab. may end up dumping my natty cxl nst boot that haven't come out the house yet

15. docalden2013

^ Glad to hear you're having a positive experience with the OSB, KWL. Would you say the Elston last is as bulbous or even more bulbous than Barrie?

Rough out leather is supposed to be quite rugged. Hope you don't baby yours.

16. kwhitelaw

I think the OSB appear to be more bulbous, but possibly due to the lack of moc stitching or a captoe/wingtip design. I don't own any plaintoe alden boots so I cannot easily compare.

my plan with these is to apply some nano protector upfront and then just let nature takes it course from there.

17. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Those are nice. Too bad they're not shell. (Joke) :) :)

18. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

I agree with all of you non-shell lovers. Specially on the casual aspect, and also kicking around boots. I too like some non shiny hide boots. I bought a lot of shell shoes this year, but recently bought Kudu Indy , and Leather Soul CXL Ultimate Indy. Both are excellent boots. I also own a pair of CXL PTB.

I also own cigar, whiskey and Ravello chukkas. Excellent multi purpose shoes for casual or office. I'm still trying to score rare shell in a Indy, NST, WT, or cap toe boots.

See Ya,
    Steve

19. jl70115

jl70115 Member

Sole question - I'm trying to get a handle on the different soles, and from what I can reasonably gather from browsing this lengthy thread for a few months now, the Double Waterlock is initially more comfortable/easier to break in, lighter and possibly better wearing than a traditional double leather sole due better handling of wet weather. Any comments and experience on these assertions? If all or even most of that is true, why doesn't Alden use Double Waterlock soles on everything? Also, is the Flex Welt the same as a single Waterlock sole? Every picture I see of a Waterlock sole looks like a Flex Welt sole, i.e. the darker coloring.

Many thanks.

20. kwhitelaw

heavier/chunkier.. not fit for some applications, where single leather sole might be more suitable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.