1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

This has got nothing to do with "tradition," "respect," or "gratitude" or any generational divide. It should not be controversial that one can appreciate the importance of respect and gratitude, and demonstrate these qualities, without playing along with this uncle/nephew -- I will be polite here -- eccentricity. If others want to play along with it, have at it. But it is an odd practice, and, I think, imminently understandable that the convention discourages some from participating or causes some to simply pass the forum by. This is a well-used forum so I guess this convention works here. Or, probably more to the point, it does not sufficiently get in the way. I don't get it, but I don't have to: shaking my head and wondering what the hell this is about is a small price to pay for the generosity of spirit displayed, and the great information provided here, virtually every day.

1 person likes this.
  2. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

C&J charges £25 more for boots to be made in whiskey rather than dark brown. Interestingly, they seem to have unlimited amounts of both (Horween).

3. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

4. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Good post

5. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Yep. And much better attention to detail.

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

thams - great looking LWB... They look just right (they have that great dark purple shade that makes color 8 unique).

With regards to brown cordovan, I wonder if Alden is even able to get as much brown cordovan as other retailers. They clearly have been buying black and color 8 hides for decades, but historically made less in dark brown, mid brown (ravello), tan (whiskey). I doubt if Alden could one day say "I want to increase my brown cordovan orders by 500%" or something similar. Horween may not be able to do that - they have to supply C&J (which sells a lot of brown cordovan) and others. And if Horween said "Fine, but you would have to divert hides from color 8 to cigar," I would guess Alden would turn that down and just keep making color 8, which is the right decision as it is so unique to Alden. The C&J/Ralph Lauren cordovan models are all great, I would just recommend those people that want more dark brown cordovan.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  7. indigoeagle

indigoeagle Senior member

At tresbien they have these Cap Toe Suede boots:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone identify the last?
    They remind me a bit of the Viberg 2030 last.

1 person likes this.
  8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Looks like Aberdeen to me. Very similar profile to the Leffot Cooney boots.

9. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ Guessing Plaza. Descriptions on that site are terrible.

EDIT: After checking the Cooney boot, I concur with the Aberdeen crew.

10. REguy

REguy Senior member

I'd say those look like unlined Aberdeens, possibly Grant. The toe is too pointed to be the Plaza.

11. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I say aberdeen. I think the toes may be too pointy for Grant.

12. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Visited Alden of San Francisco today to see what Ravello cordovan they might have, especially LWB and PTB. They had 9E in Ravello and Whiskey in the PTB (And I believe in the LWB, too) - sadly, not my size but maybe the right shoe for some of you guys?

I put myself on their list for an 8.5E PTB in Ravello which I expect will get in around June 2024 ...

Mike

13. zr0e

zr0e Senior member

leydon i think

14. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Which retailer carries this version?

15. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

16. indigoeagle

indigoeagle Senior member

Thanks.
    So the majority thinks that it's the Aberdeen.
    I'll try to get in touch with them to find out.

17. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

I can remember back to 2008 a time when I should have been Ravello. I was reading all these Uncle and Nephew posts thinking "WoW this guy really cares about his nephews shoes, I should do the same someday".

18. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Yeah, but it comes almost a day after using language like creepy and uncle fester. I get that this is a forum and as such will consist primarily of opinions. But this started with a new poster asking a question and then two members who don't like a particular aspect of the forum using the question to dirty up Mac. So rather than to provide an answer and moving on, we got to see Mac's name in the same post as creepy and uncle fester. Most importantly he did as well. From my vantage, all Mac does is provide unconditional guidance, advice, and encouragement. What a tyrant!

Does anyone on this forum know anyone other than maybe a 7-year old girl who uses the word 'creepy'? Me neither. This was about mean boys acting mean. Nothing more nothing less. I can certainly see why many people attempted to engage the members and try to assuage their fears because this is such a great community with so many helpful members (including the posters in question). It doesn't matter if you disagree with the whole uncle/grandfather thing, there was only one reason to get as personal as it did. Mean boys acting mean.

19. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I agree that it should have been the first post and not the last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.