1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Awesome to hear that about the Dainite soles. I really want to put some red ones on my Whiskey LHS. I think that might make them look kind of funky but the durability sounds awesome + I could wear them in the rainy season here in FL.

2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I know, right??? I'm leaving.

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

HAHA, this is exactly what I was thinking to myself when I read the first part of your post.[​IMG]

I think that this is a big part of it. As others have mentioned, the smaller batches/quantity of rare colors may result in some loss of economies of scale. However, it is possible that this is not true.

^This, plus the premium paid for the shells with fewer blemishes that are used to make exotic colors.

^Also valid points.

Bargaining power of consumer (from Horween's perspective) vs. Bargaining power of supplier (from Alden's perspective) Porter's 5 Forces. Sounds as if you know a thing or two about this.

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,

thank you

5. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I don't think it's redundant. I have short wing boots and LWBs both in #8 (as well as a pair of #8 shortwing bluchers on order). While they are often interchangeable for my needs, this time of year, when I am wearing heavier or more textured pants, like the vintage Orvis tweed trousers I have on today, I am more apt to grab the boots than the shoes.

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, good looking cigar

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, looking good

1 person likes this.
  8. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Does anyone have an email for Alden of DC, or do they only have a phone number? I was planning on emailing them to ask a few questions about their make ups.

9. thams

thams Senior member

washdc@aldenshoe.com

(202) 347-2308

10. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    king lwb
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Thanks for that tifosi, I can't stop laughing! You know for all the talk of shell cordovan supply and demand, including of all things the invocation of Porter's Five Forces, has anybody thought to just ask Nick Horween what pressures affect his side of the business? I gotta go back to school, you guys are way to smart for me.

1 person likes this.
  13. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Uncle, your a classy gentleman wearing the classic Alden gunboat. Love the socks!

14. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

Nice #8 King Gunboats Uncle!

15. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

I still can't figure out how within a month of lurking/posting here, I went from apathy to lust for the longwing design.

16. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

Funny thing is that I've put that in my shopping cart a dozen times and haven't pulled the trigger yet (I should have a few months ago when they had a 20% coupon that applied to Aldens as well). The main thing holding me back (aside from the expense), is that it actually has a dark edge & welt, not the antique that's picture.

Same thing happened to me! I've come to realize that a color 8 LWB with commando sole could easily be my OneShoe, since it goes with just about everything in my closet.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  17. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

[​IMG]

Got my eBay Hanovers today. these babies are mint, not even broke in. FYI-for me Hanovers fit TTS, size 14D fits perfect!

See Ya,
    Steve

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  18. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

I don't know...something about a heavy, shell shoe with a crepe sole doesn't seem quite right.

It seems like the brief consensus from earlier was commando over the double waterloc, but it looks to be a significant price difference between the Unionmade and Epaulet makeups once shipping's included.

19. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

Yeah, my preference is for commando sole over crepe - it's a more classic look while still having a little extra cushion and protection from the weather. But the crepe sole is very comfy, and I like the casual look of it; it's just less versatile, imo.

20. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.